Bike respray

tavyabe
tavyabe Posts: 283
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
So... my bikes were recently stolen and I'm pretty sure that it is because they looked great and would catch your eye from a mile away. Pretty sure I was followed home on it because of its looks. So now that it is time to buy a replacement I am wondering whether I should completely de-brand the bike and repaint it (either in a mono black or in some kind of rust colour so that it looks crap!).

Any suggestions, experiences etc? In particular does anyone know of anywhere near bournemouth/southampton where I can get it done professionally? and any idea on cost?

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Where were they stolen from?
    Garage? Shed? House?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tavyabe
    Garage in Poole, Dorset. One Cube AMS Pro (blue and white with serial no wow1556d) and one Gary Fisher HiFi Plus GS (blue with serial no wtu261t9623).

I did post about it on here viewtopic.php?t=12863913&p=17715396 and here viewtopic.php?f=10040&t=12863910&p=17715383#p17715383 but unfortunately they have not turned up on flebay or elsewhere. My guess is that they have been broken into pieces and sold on or that they are being ridden around by some kid who's never had a job.

Anyway, I don't want my previous rage to get in the way of my respray enquiries :)...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Painting them ( whatever you get) will not stop people taking them.

Security or changing the storage arrangement will.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tavyabe
    They got over 8 foot wall, through locked garage door, through alarmed cable lock, wall mount and took the bikes with d locks attached. They only tried so hard because they knew exactly what was in there. If it was two plain black bikes I reckon they may not have tried so hard. Of course I have since upped the security with alarms CCTV and floor anchors, but surely if they are less likely to be visually drawn to my bikes going past them they are less likely to come and try?
  • If they were pro's i figure they would know the value of the bikes from the components. So even removing stickers etc they would have a good idea of the bikes value..... And what they could flog them for the swines :evil:. Good to know you have floor anchors now so get the BIGGEST motorcycle security chain you can afford something like this....

http://www.elitesecuritysupplies.com/lo ... chains.htm

Expensive sure BUT i guess the bikes were to. Bike thieves are scum of the earth mate and hopefully the bikes will suffer from a catastrophic frame failure as they cruise to the local drug dealers and put them in hospital. Good luck.

Thanks.
  • neilp7
    neilp7 Posts: 66
    I live in Poole so will keep an eye out for them as i do a lot of commuting in Poole/Broadstone/Ferndown area, Whereabouts were the taken from?
    You could try B&B customs on the Ferndown Ind Est, down Haviland Road, they do airbrushing on custom motorbikes. I work next door, i'm sure they may be able to help.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I saw a really ratty bike in London, the owner had gone over all the components with coarse sandpaper (frame, fork lowers, stem, bars and cranks) looked shite but nothing had any resale value!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    I'm in Weymouth mate but I'm always out and about in Dorset il keep a look out and if caught il send there fingers to you lol .....I had a lad a few weeks back say that he was going to have my bike he was showing off in front of his Chav mates he soon sh1t it when I got off the bike and said ere come and get it......any way like someone said they will see the decent bits on a rusty crap frame an just take it for part no doubt
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2