handlebars...

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
i have seen some bikes with elliptical shaped handlebars(sorry only way can describe them) but basically not round so more comfy when riding with your hands on the top.i have looked on websites to find some and can't actually find any, so if i am making any sense at all a little help would be nice :-)
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• klep
    klep Posts: 158
    Picture would help...
  • trooperk
    trooperk Posts: 189
    Try searching for aero road bars.
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I think you're talking about "shallow drop" bars.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Try searching for "anatomical" bars - things like the Ergonova from 3T.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • TommyEss
    edited July 2012
    *EDIT* Managed to post twice!!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    edited July 2012
    I've got some that are basically oval across the top and love them (PRO Stealth Evo integrated bar/stem) - really comfortable. As the above says, try a search for aero road bars (ie Easton EC90 aero). Typically they will be carbon bars and hence not so cheap.

mine http://www.probikekit.com/uk/components/handlebars-stems/road-handlebars/pro-stealth-evo-integrated-carbon-handlebars-1.html
  • ianbar
    the 3T Ergonova Pro Handlebar looks like the kind of thing, thank you. had a google at everyones suggestions with mixed results but the 3t is defo what i was looking for and i think is the one i saw on the bike. i did sneak a feel and thought would be much more comfy than standard bars.
    enigma esprit
  • TommyEss
    I love mine - I've got them on two bikes now - there's a flat section on top that's pretty comfy when you're taking a breather, and the drops are a bit shallower so I can actually use them. I find the weirder looking anatomical ones, with the wiggly bit, ironically unanatomical!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    unixnerd wrote:
    I think you're talking about "shallow drop" bars.

No. The drop has nothing to do with the shape of the bar tops.
    More problems but still living....
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Most people ride on the hoods anyway - so they may be more comfy on the tops - but do you use the tops much ?
  • ianbar
    i ride on them quite a bit and on longer rides i like to move my hands into lots of different positions.
    enigma esprit
  • mog812
    mog812 Posts: 66
    just realised my post is utterly pointless, :shock: so removed it...
    was thinking oval/ecliptic around the top, and not the drops :oops:
    oh well nm...
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    FSA wing pro = tops with an oval cross section. I think this is what you're referring to. I find them more comfortable than there lower range which has circular cross section. There are numerous carbon bars that have this cross section including those that are the one piece integrated stem variety.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    At the budget end of the market, Deda RHM02 have an elliptical section on the tops (as opposed to the RHM01's which are round)
  • ianbar
    Thank you for your suggestions, yeah that's what I am referring to the cross section. You help has been much better than the email from evens. Just received saying I should just look at all the handlebar photos to find the ones I want!
    enigma esprit
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I've got the 3T Ergonova Team bars, and they seem great. Nice oval cross section to give a more comfortable section of the bar to rest on when on the tops. Highly recommended and they do them in the aluminium 'Pro' version as wall as the stupidly priced 'Ltd' version.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    id kill for a set of these,,,, and they seem a bargain at that price..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carbon-Road-B ... 25655c22ee
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Oh if you want to ever put tri bars on - then you wont be able to with the aero type bars.
  • ianbar
    i think i will be treating myself..or the bike soon lol
    enigma esprit
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    FSA wing are excellent and I`m saving my pennies for some
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.