Setting pad to rotor distance on Avid Elixir 5

andy_welch
andy_welch Posts: 1,101
edited July 2012 in MTB general
Hi All,

I'm having a bit of trouble setting up my Elixir 5 brakes after putting in new pads. I've tried centring the caliper a few times, but there is still a slight rub on the front (got the rear working OK after a while). The gap between the pad and rotor has always been very small (since getting the bike a few months ago). Small enough that they have always sounded rough if I go through a wet, boggy or sandy section. I've been trying to see how to adjust this difference, but can't see any way to do so. If I push the pads back the wheel spins nicely and pulling on the brakes it still stops great first time, but then the pads adjust themselves and the slight rub returns.

Cheers,

Andy

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Pads might be too thick - just ride them until they wear a bit.
  • andy_welch
    andy_welch Posts: 1,101
    supersonic wrote:
    Pads might be too thick - just ride them until they wear a bit.

Sounds like a good plan to me :D

Cheers

Andy
  • Chris`I
    Chris`I Posts: 206
    Make sure its all square and true by eye, then go and ride them. Should wear down a bit and let you correct it later if needed.

I get this problem with Superstar pads as they are a bit thicker than the Avid OEM pads. With the newer Elixirs I have noticed that they have more clearance and do more noticably more than Juicys or older Elixirs, so Avid clearly have noticed they sit closer than they need to IMO!
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
    2012 Boardman Road Team
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    andy_welch wrote:
    I'm having a bit of trouble setting up my Elixir 5 brakes
    Well there's a thing, eh? :lol: