its not what you ride its why you ride

luk3
luk3 Posts: 35
edited July 2012 in MTB general
hi every1 i went for a ride the other day on my sub £500 bike and got loads of funny looks it was like people were so p!ssed off to think that i was riding the same trail as them and then one man came and asked me if i got the bike from a cearl box , then i asked him why wass takin the p!ss and he told me it was coz i was on a cheap bike and not a £1500 bike so i told him that its not what you ride but why you ride that should matter not how deep your pockets are , then he went off down the trail and when he got to a cornerd part of the trail i was quicker than him as i passed him the smile on his face droped .
so you people on bike radar do you think that you should be judged on the bike you ride or why you ride ???????

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Who gives one single shite what others think. Just ride. Aspirations are good though, it's what drives you.
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Who cares. Ignore the snob.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • luk3
    luk3 Posts: 35
    i think he may of had all the gear and no idea .
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I think you made it up.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Bigchris
    Bigchris Posts: 131
    I ride a small bike that is rrp'ed at 550 and I am 6,2. Got it cheap..very cheap. Will do me till i got the cheddar..
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Sounds to me like you're concerned with what YOU ride.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I tend to a little bit, most of the time, you can tell what the rider is going to be like by looking at their bike. Not always though, and it's nice to be surprised ;)

For instance you get the guys on the super expensive bikes that wear sensible riding gear that you can usually expect to be fast.
    Then you have the guys on super expensive bikes wearing full body armour and full face helmets for trail centre XC riding that you can usually expect to be pretty slow.

It's not always true though.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Does it matter though? Who cares if they're good or not?
  • ilovedirt
    I didn't say it mattered, just an observation more than anything.
    I'm more than happy to ride with people that are slower than me (I pretty much have to seeing as I lead the beginner rides for our club), it's just fun trying to guess these sorts of things from what people look like. Like i say, it's nice when you get a surprise!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I care how I ride and I care what I ride as in I want my bike to work for what I want to do and I want to ride as well as I can.

The problem with riding at a bike park is you ride the same trail several times potentially in a day - if the feel isnt better each time it can get me frustrated (i.e one section of tight turns on a black here can be hooked up with a flick of the elbows or it can be a brake and fumble fest - if its the former I know I will glide all the way to the lift with no effort, the later then its going to be fight to the bottom). Same as when I am skiing, as an instructor and a decent skier I know when my skiing is off and generally what I should be doing - correcting it might be another issue but I am always ready to nail myself to the cross for my f*ck ups.

I always chat to people about their bikes/skis but not to disparage their ride more just to ask them if they enjoy it (unless its on here with their pimped up bikes of course then I get all agro for no reason! :wink: ).
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • cooldad
    I think poor people who ride rubbish bikes, plus rubbish riders and Orange 5 and Audi owners, and anyone who bangs on about skiing in a bike forum, plus anyone else I don't like should be banned from all trails.
    I also think the bits of the opening ceremony I saw were sh1t.

Thank you and goodnight.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Do you include snowboarding in that, CD?
  • cooldad
    If those are people who can only afford one ski and dress funny they should be waterboarded. Every morning. Forever.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    You're not a cool dad at all are you cooldad?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    This:
    cooldad wrote:
    I think you made it up.

And this:
    Sounds to me like you're concerned with what YOU ride.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Tim.s
    Tim.s Posts: 515
    edited July 2012
    If you had come up behind me on your Tesco bike I would of opened a can of 'Cavendish' on ya.
    "Didn't hurt"
  • ride what you got if you worry about other people's rides........

Thanks.
  • cooldad
    And people who say 'Cool beans, man' should be ignored.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    cooldad wrote:
    And people who say 'Cool beans, man' should be ignored.
    Damn, I say that quite a lot... :lol:
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • YeehaaMcgee
    cooldad wrote:
    If those are people who can only afford one ski and dress funny they should be waterboarded. Every morning. Forever.
    What if you have two snowboards?
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    What if you have two snowboards?
    That would be selfish, depriving some other funnily dressed person of a good waterboarding.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    No I mean, it's not the case of only being able to afford one ski. What then?
    Do they get a light spanking instead? Or a stern talking to, or a dirty look?
  • cooldad
    I'll give it a bit of thought. But looking at the way they dress they probably pinched them anyway.
    But I'll admit for some just a light spanking might be in order.
    clair-bidez-olympic-sexy-1.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Wouldn't mind checking out her wax job.
  • cooldad
    I believe she is an actual real snowboarder type as well, so you may be in with chance. A very very very slim one, but who knows. She may be insane.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Pfft. I've come to the conclusion (as I'm sure you have) that all women are insane.
  • The trick is finding the one that's insane in ways you can handle, my wife has a fear of moths and won't eat sweetcorn because 'it looks like teeth and you can't eat teeth' these are both things deal with quite happily
    Blood, Sweat and 21 Gears...wait...no 27....30...arse 2x10?

Specialized Hardrock, 1997 Marin Nail Trail - current
    Giant Glory Merlin Malt 2 Big Hit Expert Marin B-17 Marin Nail Trail Diamondback Topanga - Gone but not forgotten
  • Sounds to me like you're concerned with what YOU ride.

Agree. Who cares what others think. You don't owe them any explanation. Ride your ride.
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    I wouldn't dream of being seen anywhere near someone on a bike worth less than £1500.
    I don't give a flying fook how good you are on your shite piece of Halfords type scaffold pole crap. Your not riding near me.
    You probably buy a mars bar whilst out riding instead of getting out a wad of crisp £20's, nice lunch with a bottle of Chablis premier cru and a white linen table cloth.

As for skiing, as an ex pro skier, I'll ski the ass off anyone on this forum on my Factory Atomic GS skis obtained for me by my friend who is an ex French world champion slalom skier. No salomon rental shite there. Or Nevica.

Move along now, I can smell the poverty from here.
    Peter