Raleigh Avanti Race Carbon. Good price ?

josehernandez
josehernandez Posts: 243
edited July 2012 in Your road bikes
I'm aware Raleigh's are a bit unfashionable these days but managed to pick this up a few days ago for 1100. :D

20120618_165811.jpg

I know there's disagreement on the bikes livery but I can honestly say that it looks great in the flesh.

Comments

• samg123
    samg123 Posts: 275
    Looks to be in great condition. The two quickest guys in my club ride Raleighs, so I'm not judging!
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    samg123 wrote:
    The two quickest guys in my club ride Raleighs, so I'm not judging!

It's not about the bike ;)
  • samg123 wrote:
    Looks to be in great condition. The two quickest guys in my club ride Raleighs, so I'm not judging!

.........and so it should be, I bought it new.
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    nothing wrong with raleigh! think its quite a cool thing to have myself shows you don't care and have a good bike....just make sure that you can blow away anyone who sneers at you lol
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Cool bike but WTF with the 'bars?

And why is the rear wheel plugged into the mains?
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Looks great, as Yossie says, raise the bars a bit and drop the saddle
  • Fatini999
    Fatini999 Posts: 66
    Multiply your inner leg length by 0.8 and that will give you the length the top of your saddle should be from the centre of your bottom bracket...then from there adjust your bars accordingly
  • josehernandez
    josehernandez Posts: 243
    edited June 2012
    Yossie wrote:
    Cool bike but WTF with the 'bars?

And why is the rear wheel plugged into the mains?

He he :lol:

I took the pic just after assembling and realised pretty swift that the bars were ridiculously positioned.
    Lowered the saddle a touch too.
    Bear in mind that i'm new to this "road bike" malarky.

20120619_205248.jpg

Would appreciate some advice on how to raise the stem. I thought it was as high as it would go.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Would appreciate some advice on how to raise the stem. I thought they were as high as they would go.

I'd say they are. Unless you have very short legs and arms and a very long body, that's looking a very oddly set up bike. Normally the saddle would be higher and the bars lower. The bike's a bargain so you might want to spend a few quid on getting a bike fit.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Nice looking bike, I'd try it with the stem flipped over.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Rolf F wrote:
    The bike's a bargain so you might want to spend a few quid on getting a bike fit.

Think you're right, it's just trying to find somewhere that does bike fits near me. I'm in South of Scotland.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    If it's comfy for you it's comfy and thats that, but it does look like it wants a new stem and couple of spacers removing, there's too much angle on that stem to just flip it.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    maybe a white stem.

lovely bike by the way.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    That is a superb looking machine...
  • maybe a white stem.

Now there's an idea clarkey! :wink:
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Lose the spacers, flip the stem, jobbed. Be a cracking little bike that when the bars are sorted.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    maybe a white stem.

The Ritchey wet white stem would look nice on there... you could get the matching bars too :wink:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • andy46 wrote:
    maybe a white stem.

The Ritchey wet white stem would look nice on there... you could get the matching bars too :wink:

Cheers for the rec clarkey.

What's everyones thoughts on the price I paid for the bike ?
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Price looks good - but I know nothing about the bike.

Look at the set up of this stock photo compared to yours - you will see the stem looks wrong on yours.

Avanti%20Race.jpg
    Stock Photo

20120618_165811.jpg
    Yours

See how the seat is higher than the handle bars - and how the stem is lower and the bars are tilted down more...
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • That's the 1st pic from the top of the thread. I have adjusted the bars as per the 2nd pic but I see what you mean about the stem.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    Lovely looking bike i really like the colours on it a lot better than a lot of current bland 1 colour bikes.
    I wouldnt worry too much about the stem id take it out for a few rides see how you get on then try it with the stem flipped back to normal. I
    think once the stems flipped back the seat height relative to it will look fine but at the end of the day if your legs at the bottom of the stroke straight with your heel on the pedal then jobs a good un.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • Any idea why my pic has disappeared ?
  • Made a few changes.

20120727_143945.jpg