Clip in pedal extra power?

Graeme Jones
Graeme Jones Posts: 361
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
So now my riding is getting better, my fitness is up and distance is building my next purchase will be clip in pedals and specific cycling shoes as I am currently using trainers and toe straps.

Did anyone notice a difference in performance or any difference on strava etc shaving time off segments and so on.

I was watching a video on youtube which talked about using your glutes and hamstrings by pulling up on the pedal stroke to support quads on climbs. Does this work as you can't do much other than push down with toe straps?

Any comments welcome.

Comments

• nax-ian
    nax-ian Posts: 209
    Yep, you will defininetly feel the difference. More power through the whole pedal stroke and a kind of "connectedness " with your bike.
    Finished
  • rogerthecat
    rogerthecat Posts: 669
    Nax-ian wrote:
    Yep, you will defininetly feel the difference. More power through the whole pedal stroke and a kind of "connectedness " with your bike.

+1
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    My nephew made "the change" recently and wished he'd done is sooner. He finds it far more efficient than trainers and flat pedals.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you are using non-bike shoes e.g. trainers you are losing a lot of energy simply due to flexing of the shoe and foot. Any means of securing the shoes to the pedals allows you to apply power through more of the pedal stroke - not only making you quicker, but also means your leg muscles don't tyre as quickly as more muscles are employed throughout the stroke.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Graeme Jones
    Graeme Jones Posts: 361
    Good stuff need to get some money together then! If I'm loosing energy through flex in my training shoe then hopefully more mileage and higher speeds will come with a new clip in set up
  • kela66
    kela66 Posts: 32
    I have recently "clipped in" and was amazed how fast you can build up speed from a standing/rolling start by pulling up on the pedals, go for it Graeme you will have no regret's
    Drop bars n beat's