Opening ceremony

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
OK, personal Bah Humbug response, but what a sack of screaming excrement. The singing kids were cute, but after that it was a very British denunciation of how shite we've been and all the travails we've come through to reach this wonderful pinnacle we now attain. Between chartist rebellions and suffragettes, chimney boys and the dead of flanders. Good grief, I'm surprised they didn't dwell on the crushing of the Boxer rebellion and the milking of the colonies.

It may get better, but I've switched off and am now on the laptop about to work on some budget numbers for 2013.

What a waste of money and gravitas.
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I'm not watching it but what you have described is exactly what I would have expected - we just can't do spectacle for spectacles sake - we need to free ourselves from our past and celebrate the vibrancy of now. :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    The Queen just parachuted from a helicopter with James Bond. Honestly, there is no pleasing some people.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    You haven't got a scooby.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Mr Bean, really?!
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    It was/is as good/shit as every other opening ceremony. The big difference being that we get the cultural references.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • cornerblock
    Fiji,,,,, Bee Gee,,,,, like it.
  • SimonAH
    Ah shucks, I suppose you're right. I'm just a grumpy sod ATM.

Can't help but think that all we needed was some massed choirs and the Queen to snip a ribbon though.

• cornerblock
    And the award for the Most Miserable Looking Bunch goes to Pakistan.
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    It wasn't bad but the NHS etc. were just ridiculous. Who exactly in the world thinks 'Britain' 'ah yes, NHS'.

I'm surprised they sang Abide With Me rather than a pagan hymn tbh.
  • cornerblock
    thelawnet wrote:
    Who exactly in the world thinks 'Britain' 'ah yes, NHS'.

You, the next time you need to use it.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I wouldn't normally say this to a group of people whose views I normally respect, cope with or smile at but errr...

Fark off. We - famille cib - have just sat entranced, overjoyed and enriched by the whole business. I know that the country seems to be populated by people who can't wait to be to be offended or put out or disappointed or miffed at what's served up for their delectation but for gawd's sake, that was superb from start to finish. Fcku I even enjoyed dizzy pest or whatever you call him.

It was utter brilliance, all of it.

Gordon Bennett.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I'm dreading the PT chaos, but that ceremony was bloody brilliant. Stop fuck1ng moaning!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    CiB wrote:
    I wouldn't normally say this to a group of people whose views I normally respect, cope with or smile at but errr...

Fark off. We - famille cib - have just sat entranced, overjoyed and enriched by the whole business. I know that the country seems to be populated by people who can't wait to be to be offended or put out or disappointed or miffed at what's served up for their delectation but for gawd's sake, that was superb from start to finish. Fcku I even enjoyed dizzy pest or whatever you call him.

Gordon Bennett.
    +1 to that. 4 of us watched it and 4 of us loved it. And the geek in me was amazed with the LED-seat things. An awesome spectacle and worth every penny of the £27 million budget.

Spotify playlist of the music anyone?
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    I thought it was absolutely excellent on the whole. For me, the music was a particular highlght; Pistols,Clash, Jam, everything really. Bradley Wiggins got it all started after all, a brilliant acknowledgement of his achievement last week. And (saddo that I am), they played I'm forever blowing bubbles'! COYI !!!!!!!!!!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Not watched it all yet (Sky Plussed), but so far really impressed. My fiancee's cousin was a lead winged-ninja-cyclist! And he got to meet Bob Haro!!! I think we did well.
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet wrote:
    Who exactly in the world thinks 'Britain' 'ah yes, NHS'.

You, the next time you need to use it.

That's a non-sequitur if I ever saw one.

Am actually quite proud of our toilets and sewage systems having lived in unhygienic third world countries, but I wouldn't make a 15 minute sequence out of turds. It was quite bizarre TBH. 'NHS' in 50-foot high letters? Who exactly was he preaching to there?
  • thelawnet
    CiB wrote:

Hey Jude was absolutely diabolical.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    thelawnet wrote:
    CiB wrote:

Hey Jude was absolutely diabolical.
    No. Not anywhere near being one of my favourites, not even on the iPod, but it was ok, after a fluffed start. So what though? We all knew that the music was prerecorded and macca coming in too early was a bit of a pish moment. So what?

Like I said, a lot of people seem to watch these things trying to find something to be p!seed off about. It had a few iffy moments but the bigger picture, the feel of it, the arc of the narrative, the musical inserts, the images, the technology, everything. Everything about it was fantastic. It must have been good cos even our stroppy world of his own teenage son stuck with it. We all did, start to finish. The odd glitch doesn't make it a bad show.

At least the naysayers and those who've opposed the Olympics from day one will be happy - they got a whole night's worth of viewing to grumble at. Grumbling & chuntering is our national sport these days. Count me out thanks.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Stunning.

NHS reference to show the yanks what they're missing. Macca needs pulling though.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • thelawnet
    Stunning.

NHS reference to show the yanks what they're missing.

Mary Poppins nursing two children in one bed? I'm sure they'll be signing up tomorrow.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I liked it, displayed everything great about Britain and did so in that oh so - don't take yourself too serious - British way.

Felt that an Oasis song should have been played during the celebration of British music. But, all of it, were brilliant.

ETA:

The thing I enjoyed most about it was that it told a story.

The transition from an Isle of farmers to the heart of the industrial World was brilliant. That they used that to transform the set was amazing.

Isambard quoting Shakspeare.

The Industrial period forging the rings.

Celebrating the creator of the World Wide Web - he is not celebrated enough.

The cauldron alone was a work of art, honestly it was beautiful.

And the decision they took on who should light the torch.

Bottomline everyone will have their chosen moments, but all of it was brilliant. Proud of this nation, end of.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    thelawnet wrote:
    Stunning.

NHS reference to show the yanks what they're missing.

Mary Poppins nursing two children in one bed? I'm sure they'll be signing up tomorrow.

Because a stage has always been a 'true to life' replica. I'll admit to being surprised the stadium wasn't a sterile area to be honest. :shock:
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I liked it, displayed everything great about Britain and did so in that oh so - don't take yourself too serious - British way.

Felt that an Oasis song should have been played during the celebration of British music. But, all of it, were brilliant.

ETA:

The thing I enjoyed most about it was that it told a story.

The transition from an Isle of farmers to the heart of the industrial World was brilliant. That they used that to transform the set was amazing.

Isambard quoting Shakspeare.

Bottomline everyone will have their chosen moments, but all of it was brilliant. Proud of this nation, end of.

And the choice of Olympic flag carriers. I didn't expect to see Shami Chakrabarti.

I was expecting unintended humour, and got intended humour. Which was a plus.

Not so much Mr Bean, but I can't think if another country where a showcase event would include the head of state being involved in such a silly spoof. (I thought that was a good think, BTW).
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    If everyone liked it, then chances are it would have been bland and rubbish. Basically an expensive fireworks, dance display.

Personally I was expecting to dislike it, seriously worried that we would have an opening ceremony with x-factor stars, urban dance and double decker buses etc.

However I think that it really did sum up Britain. Yes some of us are into shit music, yes some of us are sentimental to the past, yes some of us watch crap on the TV and send text messages, Facebook updates about losing phones etc. But we are British. We're quirky, we're odd, we do what we want. A tiny, tiny country with a massive history.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    CiB wrote:

Gordon Bennett.

This! (Although maybe macca needs pensioning off)
  • PBo
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I'm dreading the PT chaos, but that ceremony was bloody brilliant. Stop fuck1ng moaning!

And this
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Well done Britain. Your capacity to do nonsense well is boundless.

Top marks and a nice touch on the passing of the flame from the older generation.

Sad to see Ali in such bad shape though...
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • PBo
    DonDaddyD wrote:

This
    And this...

Did you know that the message that flashed up "this is for everyone" was a real time tweet? Genius.
    Another bullseye

Bottomline everyone will have their chosen moments, but all of it was brilliant.

Yes, but with a caveat about macca
    Proud of this nation, end of.
    Yup
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    All of the above apart from the moaning and well done to the musical directors the group underworld who have worked with Danny boyle before, the music was amazing esp the music over the transformation from pastural britain to industrial, right up my street style wise.
  • SimonAH
    I am chastised. See, this is why people like me are never allowed to steer things like this as my grip on the Zeitgeist is fragile at best.

I hated it, but shouldn't have been rude about it, sorry.

Can we be friends again?