1x10 Issues

leaflite
leaflite Posts: 1,651
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I recently converted from 3x10 to 1x10 using a 34t renthal sr4 chainring, shorter bolts and a superstar BB mounted top guide.

However, on every single ride since, the chain has come off. I havent had chance to do anything massively technical or bumpy on it-just cannock chase so far. It seems that the chain is coming off at the top rather than the bottom too, so I dont think a full on guide with rollers etc would help. It looks like, especially when the bike is on an angle and either the highest or lowest gears are being used, the next links to be picked up are going down the inside of the teeth, which is pulling the entire chain off.

The guide is fairly central over the chainring, and the chainring is fairly central on the cassette. The guide is set as low as possible-so it only just clears the chainring tabs on the crank.

Does anyone have any tips on how to fix this? Is it a case of the cheap superstar guide being crap, or is it a setup issue?

Thanks

Comments

• leaflite
    warpcow wrote:
    Shortened the chain?

Yep, took 2 links out
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Hmm, so is the chain actually wedging between the guide and the ring? If it's as central as possible over the ring, that sounds like a design fault with the guide (unless there's some way to make it narrower). That's all I can think off apart from where/how you ride just being too 'gnarr'.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    leaflite wrote:
    warpcow wrote:
    Shortened the chain?

Yep, took 2 links out
    So did you actually size the chain? Or guess?

I would say guess.

check that the chain is the right length. Big and big with no mech. If a fully make sure you include any chain grow.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • leaflite
    warpcow wrote:
    Hmm, so is the chain actually wedging between the guide and the ring? If it's as central as possible over the ring, that sounds like a design fault with the guide (unless there's some way to make it narrower). That's all I can think off apart from where/how you ride just being too 'gnarr'.

Yep, the chain is wedging between the guide and ring. I could remove the 0.5mm spacer between guide and crank, but then I reckon it will rub in the largest cog.

I did size the chain properly(big-big + 2 links) , and the mech looks about right when in the biggest gear.

It is a hardtail.

Thanks
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    ive had the same problem, with the same guard

TBH whilst its a decent chain device, i think its more suited to XC riding

last weekend i lost my chain around 4 times at Cannock, the last time it got twisted and ive had to replace it

im prob gonna get a plasma from SS instead
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    From what you guys say, it sounds like a fu**ing useless chainguide, since it does not do it's job.
    HOWEVER, before we write it off completely, let's have some good quality photos of your setups, from a few different angles.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I had the very same guide (still have it at the bottom of my parts box) and I did have a few issues with a ramped/pinned ring, however once I got a SS specific ring on there, it didn't drop the chain once. I can't really think what you're doing wrong to be honest without photos.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • leaflite
    Ok then, will upload photos in a bit

Thanks for all the replies
  • leaflite
    Right then, here are the pictures:

dsc00283jv.jpg

dsc00282i.jpg

dsc00277tba.jpg

dsc00276jc.jpg

dsc00273q.jpg

dsc00271q.jpg
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    looks fine to me
  • ilovedirt
    Doesn't look low enough to me. Literally have it no more than 1mm higher than the top of the chain. If it's approx. the height of a tooth off (which is what it looks like) it'll just jump off the chainring, which is what it sounds like is happening. Literally have it as close as you can physically get it without rubbing.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Chain chouldn;t fall off with that fitted, so it's likely the chain being thrown off the bottom of the ring, then forcing the chainguide over to one side causing the chain to come off completely.
    Lowering it, like ilovedirt says should mean that the guide will actually be held in place laterally by the chainring itself when under side load, so even if the chain DOES come off the bottom of the ring, the guide will not allow it to come off the top - and as you pedal, it should hook itself up again.
  • ilovedirt
    Mmm, yeah what Yeehaa said actually, makes more sense than it just jumping off. Either way, that guide looks too high.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Looks like it is not rotated forward enough and too high.

BB mount?

But I would still get a bottom roller. As the chain can still unship from the bottom.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown