having problems with my pedals!

cammyb96
cammyb96 Posts: 107
edited July 2012 in MTB general
I don't know why but when I change gear because of the different pressure on the pedals my feet either slip off or spin the pedals around hitting my shins!, I use flat pedals and just normal shoes. Should I get proper shoes and clip pedals?

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    No you should put your foot on the pedal properly (and possibly get better pedals).

Your foot should be on the pedal so the middle of the ball of your foot (maybe just behind that point) is over the axle, if you put your foot too far back on the pedal so your toes are over the axle you end up slipping off and smacking your shin.

A good pair of flat pedals and a decent skate shoe, TEVA, or 5:10 shoe will give you plenty of grip without having to be clipped in - being clipped in has its benefits and merits (I used to ride clipped) but so does flat pedal.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    What are your current pedals?
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    warpcow wrote:
    You shouldn't be shifting under full power either.
    ^^ I'm guessign this is the main issue. Warpcow speaks the truth.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Oh I missed that he was shifting when they spun - so yeah - what they say, ease off the power when shifting, gotta spin the cranks but not apply a lot of pressure. Or get a hub gear bike.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.