Bar ends : Do they face inwards or outwards?

RSV_Ecosse
RSV_Ecosse Posts: 237
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Got a set of Cube barends for my Acid yesterday. Just wanted to give myself an alternative position for my hands on the bars.

Anyway, having pretty much no knowledge of fitting these things, I had a look at 'em today. From what I've read online, best plan for a neat fit is to use a craft knife to cut off the ends of the grips. did that, nice and trim. :)

Now, when it comes to fitting these things are they supposed to be angled "inwards" towards the wheel if you like or "outwards" away from the wheel?.

Lastly, what sort of angle would you recommend they be placed at from looking "side on"?. Approx 45 degree?. Or is that personal preference?.

A few pics to help illustrate what I mean :-

2cdxx5e.jpg

16hy75.jpg

2uo74o3.jpg

358t6pl.jpg
Ethernet (noun): Something used to catch the etherbunny.
Road : Pinarello FP1 | MTB : Cube Acid 2010

Comments

• Ho hum
    Ho hum Posts: 236
    Mine face inwards.

As for the angle, I have them at about 35ish degrees. I find this the most comfortable angle for me, but it may well be different for you.
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    Definately inwards. If you've got them outwards they're upside down.

Just look down at your arms/hands. It would be an un-natural position if your hands were bending outwards while climbing out the saddle.

Also, you wan't your hands as close to the grips/brake levers as possible so that you can transfer across quickly.

You want the bar-ends pointing inwards as they can offer protection from trees, branches. If they stick out, you'll catch your bars on something.

Also, you'll find it comfortable on long climbs to hold the bar-ends, and rest your wrist on the grips, keeping your arms relaxed - almost like you would on a road bike. It helps keep you weight over the front wheel, which is good for a balanced climbing position (when you're in the saddle).
  • RSV_Ecosse
    Excellent. Thought as much.

Thanks for confirming folks. :D
  • maf.cook
    maf.cook Posts: 2
    Bit of a late post but may help future bar end DIY'ers.
    1) The cube RFR bar ends have left/right printed on them as a guide to fitting.
    2) Grips shouldn't be cut down (making them shorter) what you wanna do is cut a hole in the end to retain grip length & move brake & gear leavers inwards.
    Hope that helps.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    And again, late to the party, but they should be at the same angle as the stem. It's the roolz.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Even if running a flipped stem? or does that create a new rule!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • RSV_Ecosse
    Holy thread bumpage Batman!!! :D

I didn't notice at the time whether they had 'L' and 'R' on them but that would certainly have been a bit of a clue. 8)

And I've not got them at the same angle as my stem, I don't follow rules, I make them. :lol:

The RFR bar ends have been pretty good though, excellent for changing hand positions on long climbs such as Glentress and the other thing I've found about them is they go a long way to absorbing any damage if you have an 'off'. Mine did a sterling job when I slid down Mini Ayers Rock at Laggan. I did trim the grips a little when fitting but in hindsight I would have done it the way maf.cook suggests if I had clicked at the time. Every day is a school day, or so they say.
  • maf.cook
    maf.cook Posts: 2
    Lifes one big learning curve :-)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Even if running a flipped stem? or does that create a new rule!

Ideally yes, if you're cool enough to have your stem flipped you're cool enough to have your bar ends flat. Looks stupid otherwise.