Too old to start racing??

Olly1985
Olly1985 Posts: 6
edited July 2012 in Amateur race
I'm new to road cycling and loving every minute of it. have a decent level of fitness from other sports and previous job. Would love to use the winter to get as fit as possible then start to enter cat 4 races next summer.

What kind of ages did you guys first compete in these type events??

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Who cares.

Enter races now if you want to.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    Anyone born after 1986 can give it a go. Otherwise...
  • How old are you?????

Just ride and ride and ride - then race

I'm in my late 40's hadn't ridden for over 25 years and am racing road and track against the youngun's - have upgraded my licence this first year on the road.

What do you want to hear - your too old just sit back and watch the telly.

If you want to race - get a licence and race.

To start with you might get a kicking you might not.

If you get beat then train more/harder. That is all there is to it.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    if you're over 40 then LVRC could be an option
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Come to the Rothesay Weekend in September. There will be people of all ages with a handicapped Road Race on the Sunday. OK plug over...

http://www.rothesayweekend.co.uk/
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    After a 40 year break from racing, I entered the Imperial Race Team Hillingdon Winter series 4th Cat races last year at the grand age of 58. So if can do it, anyone can!

Four ambitions for the series:
    1) Just finish. Any position, just finish.
    2) Finish without getting lapped
    3) Finish in the bunch.
    4) Get a point, just one.

Managed the first two in race one. Got murdered, took a right hammering, in 2nd race. Then gradually improved, achieved 3rd ambition by race 4. Sadly I never got a point, but got close with getting 11th place twice. Raced a MK Bowl, again finishing in the bunch.

Stopped then as was spending more effort on training for the Etape, so racing took a back seat, but loved the races, and will do more before the season is out.

Just go for it, if nothing else it is brilliant training!!
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Its not the age is the problem, you need to be competent riding in a bunch, this is more important.
  • Olly1985? Does that mean you're 27ish?

For what it's worth, I turned 30 in June, I've been cycling since the start of last year, I started racing this year, and I'm 9 points away from upgrading to Cat 2. It doesn't matter how old you are - get out and race! :D
  • Olly1985
    Olly1985 Posts: 6
    Well after most of those comments I am well up for it now.
    Need a bit more experience of the bike, then will be entering some races.
    I'm addicted to my bike at the moment!!
  • nax-ian
    nax-ian Posts: 209
    Entered a vets sprint duathlon at 47, came third, went back the following year after some proper training and won it! Just get out there and compete, gives you a target for all your training.
    Finished
  • My Dad is 72 this year and has recently (2 years ago) started doing time trials and is getting faster and faster and doing well in his age category. I recently went out for a 26 mile ride with him and he was surprisingly quick!
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Blaaaaaaaa age dont mean nothing. Most of the fastest riders I know are 40+.

We have a member at our club who at 45 started back racing this year after a 20 year break. Started racing again in Feb as a 4th cat and by the end of the season should have his Elite license. Admittedly he has quite a past in cycling, but still..

If your fitness is there crack on!