2x10 ratios

m1tch666
m1tch666 Posts: 148
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok, built my full suss and went with 11-36 on the rear, SRAM X9 36-22 with bash on the front........brilliant for climbing but when we hit the flats and move into big gears everyone I ride with (including the wife) just pedals away......I'm needing to change to give me more top end speed, can anyone recommend a better ratio....

38-24
39-26
or
42-28

I'm still not the fittest or the slimmest so I don't want to lose all the lower end...........???

All opinions welcome :D (about the ratios, not the size and ability lol, they're already being worked on)
Dartmoor Primal 26" 1 x 10, 40 expander
Banshee Spitfire 650b 1 x 10, 42 expander

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Should have gone 3x
  • WhipIt
    WhipIt Posts: 52
    I use 11-34 with 38/26 (xt), definitely plenty at the bottom and only spin out on gentle road descents. 39-26 would be my recommendation!
  • m1tch666
    Should have gone 3x

More than happy with the ratios for the rough stuff and much prefer the 2x than the xt 3x on my xc bike......rarely do flat section apart from Carron Valley where we always finish by a circuit of the reservoir......or the road finish at Comrie......soon as we reach the road, bye bye friends lol
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    At a cadence of 100 you would be doing about 30mph with the gearing you have. Are you sure you need more?
    Especially for a bit of road.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • m1tch666
    cooldad wrote:
    At a cadence of 100 you would be doing about 30mph with the gearing you have. Are you sure you need more?

Agreed, but after being out the seat and pushing hard for a half mile, I'd be dead. Then they'd leave me cruising by at a steady 75-80 cadence doing just under what I was achieving bursting my lungs......

I'm near to top gear as soon as I hit any downhill so I really think I'm too low geared.....it's a 26" full suss, not a 29'er.
  • cooldad
    I think you are confused - if you are doing the same speed, and you are in a lower gear at a higher cadence, why would you be out of the seat? You'd be spinning.
    Or maybe I'm confused, what do you ride. Terrain I mean.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • m1tch666
    I am in my top gear......and to push my top gear on my full suss at that cadence I'd have to be out the seat........

They haven't hit the top gear and are cruising along at a lower cadence with less effort....

I'd say the bikes may make a bit of difference, with some of them on hardtails, but one of my friends rides the same meta 55 with 140 revs, however he's 3 x 9 and cruising along easy on his big ring.....pushing my top gear at the same crusing cadence as them leaves me lagging behind
  • cooldad
    Sorry to harp on, but my brain is struggling.
    Normally you'd stand up and push a high gear, but sit and spin in a low gear.
    So I don't understand if you have to stand to push your highest gear, how you'll cruise in an even higher one?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • m1tch666
    It's ok, it's probably me not explaining it right.........

My big gear is easy to push and I can sit and spin no problem, it's still not enough.....to get my cadence fast enough I have to get out the saddle and really push, it's not a problem with the push, just the cadence.....

Their big gear is big enough that a steady cadence maintains the pace I struggle to maintain........ I'm fine sitting at that pace on my 3x9 with a lower cadence.......

Maybe it's my legs lol
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    edited July 2012
    No you won't, I run a 36t single with 11-36 and it's more like 21-22mph. Still quick though, so if everyone is just riding away from you they're clearly animals, MTFU and pedal a bit quicker, if you're getting out of the saddle for higher cadence stuff you're doing something wrong.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I can't get out the saddle spinning at 100rpm plus, just not happening, I have a number of logs of me pushing 30mph on a 32:11, I really do think you aren't using your gears right and are overgearing and losing acceleration and that's when they get away from you, try some sessions on a spin bike to see your cadence.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20 wrote:
    No you won't, I run a 36t single with 11-36 and it's more like 21-22mph. Still quick though, so if everyone is just riding away from you they're clearly animals, MTFU and pedal a bit quicker, if you're getting out of the saddle for higher cadence stuff you're doing something wrong.

I'm one of the ones pulling away from him and you are bang on MTFU and get out more!