Cheapest training power meter?

dw300
dw300 Posts: 1,642
What's currently the cheapest, reliably accurate, power measuring device you can fit on your bike?
All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
Bike Radar Strava Club
The Northern Ireland Thread

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    A powertap from the states, my SL+ was £500 inc Joule 2 headunit
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Used PowerTap would be the cheapest, but just be aware that if anything goes seriously wrong outside of the warranty then you're looking at >£300 to fix it.

Also, what do you want to use it for? Just training or training and racing? Having something that's suitable for both is a good idea since race data is pretty useful.
    More problems but still living....
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    amaferanga wrote:
    Also, what do you want to use it for? Just training or training and racing? Having something that's suitable for both is a good idea since race data is pretty useful.

This ^

I bought my PT, and used it in a few races with a disc cover, but it's quite a lump (36H open pro rim), so it wasn't long before I bought a Quarq for my race bike as well.........
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    If you can find a knackered wired powertap, Paligap will upgrade it to a wireless version for £400 or so. This upgrade basically means keeping the outer shell and replacing everything else - bearings, electronics etc so its effectively a brand new hub with a warranty
  • dw300
    Thanks for the replies chaps.

I don't race at the minute, so it'd only be for training. I'm just trying to monitor my improvement accurately enough to decide if I'll ever get fast enough to give racing a try, being that I've joined the party rather late.

Is Paligap a forum member?

I may well revisit this thread towards the end of the year for some more info, thanks again.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • Eyorerox
    Eyorerox Posts: 43
    You could try and use virtual power on your wind trainer, that would give you some idea of what you want.
    http://www.trainerroad.com/
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Eyorerox wrote:
    You could try and use virtual power on your wind trainer, that would give you some idea of what you want.

He said he wants accurate though, not a power guesstimate.
    More problems but still living....
  • kamil1891
    kamil1891 Posts: 658
    I've bought a set of new 2012 powertap pro wheels from wiggle (being platinum customer) for £670. You need to wait for some promotional codes though to get it that cheap.
  • Also, keep an eye out for items from cyclepowermeters.com, sometimes they run out old rental stock.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    dw300 wrote:
    I don't race at the minute, so it'd only be for training. I'm just trying to monitor my improvement accurately enough to decide if I'll ever get fast enough to give racing a try, being that I've joined the party rather late.
    Best and cheapest way to do this is to just enter a few. An evening club 10 will cost maybe £2.00
  • dw300
    John.T wrote:
    dw300 wrote:
    Best and cheapest way to do this is to just enter a few. An evening club 10 will cost maybe £2.00

Buying a power meter is potentially much less humiliating though! :D

Also, keep an eye out for items from cyclepowermeters.com, sometimes they run out old rental stock.

Cool cheers!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • Team4Luke
    Team4Luke Posts: 597
    dw300 wrote:
    What's currently the cheapest, reliably accurate, power measuring device you can fit on your bike?

a speedo
    Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young
  • deanflyer
    deanflyer Posts: 52
    amaferanga wrote:
    Eyorerox wrote:

He said he wants accurate though, not a power guesstimate.

Trainerroad is pretty damn accurate, im using it on a Lemond Revolution so no drift associated with tire/roller based trainers. See here for a comparison against a PowerTap:

http://blog.trainerroad.com/kurt-kineti ... tualpower/