was this a drop off?

cammyb96
cammyb96 Posts: 107
edited August 2012 in MTB general
So I was in my local forestry just 15 mins ago and I found a trail that had a 7-8ft sort off lip, I got up it and just went for it (my first drop-off) I rolled off and boom I was travelling really fast, Nothing bad happened and it all went smoothly. My run got stopped my a fallen tree haha. So yeah, was this a drop off?. It was fairly steep and I lent right back like you are sup-post to. I'll try to take a photo tomorrow!

Comments

• MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Sounds like what we used to call a 'Vert", a drop off implies you bike left the ground between the top and bottom (like riding fast off a curb) - it would be very unlikely you'd nail a 8ft one as your first try.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • cammyb96
    Sounds like what we used to call a 'Vert", a drop off implies you bike left the ground between the top and bottom (like riding fast off a curb) - it would be very unlikely you'd nail a 8ft one as your first try.

ahh, It was still really steep. My dad dared me to cycle up it and I almost fell back haha but I got up
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If it was a steep drop you rolled down then no its not. A drop off involves riding off an edge the dropping to a landing with both wheels off the ground.
    Drop off are easy enough, just manual off the lip and land both wheels together.
  • cammyb96
    So it could have been a drop-off only I just rolled down?
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Sounds like it was meant to be one.
  • cammyb96
    It did look really dodgy to do a drop-off on, very uneven and you basically land on a slope.
  • bennett_346
    Like pretty much all drops then. You cannot land a drop to flat, things break. And it may well have been rough but this is just a feature :wink:
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    cammyb96 wrote:
    you basically land on a slope.

Nicer than landing to flat.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Drop offs
    pbpic932971.jpg
    ss13.jpg

Rolls
    25-04-04_rich3.JPG
    gabe11.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Although those drops are somewhat extreme
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cammyb96
    thanks, it was similar to the first roll but a bit steeper
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Like pretty much all drops then. You cannot land a drop to flat, things break. And it may well have been rough but this is just a feature :wink:

You can land drops to flat no problem. It's surprising what a bike will take.
    10 foot to flat is my biggest (I come up short for the landing on a road gap), I sprained both wrists but rode it out and the bike was fine. Up to about 5 foot to flat usually works out ok on all mountain bikes.
  • bennett_346

You can land drops to flat no problem. It's surprising what a bike will take.
    10 foot to flat is my biggest (I come up short for the landing on a road gap), I sprained both wrists but rode it out and the bike was fine. Up to about 5 foot to flat usually works out ok on all mountain bikes.
    I wouldn't consider up to 5 feet to be a drop, more of just a general blip in the trail.

But each to their own abilities, and i expect to recieve some criticism for this post :wink:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    That's why we call him Bennet "Josh Bender" 346 :lol:

Does anyone still call those steep roll-ins "chutes"? That's what I used to know them as, where as a roll-in was specifically a run up to a jump or a bowl.
  • bennett_346
    That's why we call him Bennet "Josh Bender" 346 :lol:

Does anyone still call those steep roll-ins "chutes"? That's what I used to know them as, where as a roll-in was specifically a run up to a jump or a bowl.
    I think i did once but nobody had a clue what i was talking about :oops:
  • cooldad
    What we call a chute is something more resembling a natural bobsleigh run. A steep trail that has eroded so it has sides, preferably curvy, and hopefully lined with loose tennis ball sized rocks just for fun. So you crunch down the middle and berm the curves.
    I guess if the roll in had sides I'd call it a chute. If its flat it's just a roll.
    And if it's not a roll, I consider it a cliff and take the chicken run, which is often a chute.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Yeah, I guess I'd agree with that description. I don't know of many that haven't eroded into that bobsleigh things, so I never thought of it like that.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I hear a lot of mixed descriptions with what I'd consider a roll because I'd roll it described as a drop and even people say it's a drop but then effectively roll it.

It's whatever you make of it really. I'm perfectly capable of rolling a no-option drop. Just requires an ambulance at the ready.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Surely a drop means you have to "drop" at some point on it. Otherwise it's not a drop, it's a descent of some sort.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I'd say anything that requires mandatory air to get down it is a drop. Although you can drop off stuff that you could also roll down if you see what I mean.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    EH_Rob wrote:
    I'd say anything that requires mandatory air to get down it is a drop. Although you can drop off stuff that you could also roll down if you see what I mean.
    Yeah, fair enough.
    For example, flights of stairs have a definite name - "flight of stairs". Whether you drop off them or roll down them, they're still a "flight of stairs".
    A dropoff is a mandatory drop, like you say.
  • cooldad
    Makes sense, so you can drop rolls, but rolling a drop will hurt.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cammyb96
    hey guys, got a new thread explaining a bit more about this:

viewtopic.php?f=10002&t=12868553&p=17767750#p17767750
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just don't drop a bacon roll.
  • EH_Rob
    flights of stairs are something to be wary of whilst enjoying a particularly involving walk.
  • cooldad
    deadkenny wrote:
    Just don't drop a bacon roll.
    I believe you go straight to hell.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    EH_Rob wrote:
    flights of stairs are something to be wary of whilst enjoying a particularly involving walk.

You walk too much. You will go blind one day. Then you won't know where you are walking
  • cooldad
    TwellySmat wrote:
    EH_Rob wrote:

You walk too much. You will go blind one day. Then you won't know where you are walking
    I often walk with my eyes shut.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • EH_Rob
    TwellySmat wrote:
    EH_Rob wrote:

Its ok, I always wear these:

Acs2bAym6K9x_Vwvbi-GrrcUkTboq9OIkvvKWa3Aps_WlZSuEfUUGNp3w0-PJC6eO2ZV_fo-i3pYVpxf4DkzOtzXBZ-xIYY4gzQLnPFNCZ-c5LLiyQP1uQUEljAw22GDZM2_9NLNJY0H

And I don't walk that much, its just whenever you turn up I always seem to be walking or talking about walking. Its just coincidence honestly.

You're a bit like my girlfriends mother in that respect.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    EH_Rob wrote:
    TwellySmat wrote:
    EH_Rob wrote:

Its ok, I always wear these:

Acs2bAym6K9x_Vwvbi-GrrcUkTboq9OIkvvKWa3Aps_WlZSuEfUUGNp3w0-PJC6eO2ZV_fo-i3pYVpxf4DkzOtzXBZ-xIYY4gzQLnPFNCZ-c5LLiyQP1uQUEljAw22GDZM2_9NLNJY0H

And I don't walk that much, its just whenever you turn up I always seem to be walking or talking about walking. Its just coincidence honestly.

You're a bit like my girlfriends mother in that respect.

There is no such thing as coincidence. I do enjoy watching or reading about a good brisk walk. I am particularly looking forward to the Men's 20km Walk. Over an hour of the world's finest walking!