Finding Lee Quarry from Rooley Moor Road

compo
compo Posts: 1,370
edited July 2012 in Routes
Well this is fairly self explanitory.

We're riding up there from Rochdale Station tommorrow.
I gather that the Lee Quarry - Cragg Quarry Link crosses Rooley Moor Road.

My question is, how easy is it to spot, as we don't want to go hurtling down the hill on the other side and miss it.
Also, which Quarry is best to do first, Lee or Cragg?

Comments

• mintedox
    mintedox Posts: 273
    I think there are signs at the top of the link now so you wont miss it, it's a long road. I would do Cragg first seeing as you are already up top.

We found another little quarry place before the link road that was a bit dangerous, and a bloke living in a shack.
    Papa? Nicole
  • compo
    mintedox wrote:
    and a bloke living in a shack.

:lol:

Cheers, I was hoping signage had improved.
    I think navigating out of Rochdale could be interesting, but otherwise, it seems fairly simple
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    Did you find it?

It's pretty easy really.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • compo
    Didn't go in the end, we thought it'd be too slippy . That's the second time we've been thwarted by the weather when going to Lee in the past few weeks
  • Bigchris
    Bigchris Posts: 131
    I ventured up rooley moor road on Saturday...its one hell of a road, topped off the cycle from Manchester nicely...argh!

I wonder if they have any plans for that other quarry, is it the one on the left not too far before cragg? Will see if I can find anything about it.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    I wonder if they have any plans for that other quarry, is it the one on the left not too far before cragg? Will see if I can find anything about it.

there is meant to be another quarry opening sometime this year poss towards the end oct november time..
    facit quarry it is rhumored to be the next one to have some trails built in it and it is also rhumored that it will be linked up with lee/cragg...

acording to the ranger we were talking to who told us about it earlier this year, facit quarry will be more downhill style trails..
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    Facit is on the other side of the valley so wont be directly linked but its a rideable distance.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Bigchris
    Bigchris Posts: 131
    Cheers for the info lads.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Facit is being looked at next and should be linked in, there's been various hold ups though, badgers, land owners not playing ball and the fact Tony is now covering more roles than heused to. I think Ding is on the long term wish list (the quarry off Rooley Moor Road). Don't think anything definite is on the horizon though. Will ask Tony at the next PMBA meeting.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result