3 more years for Euskaltel Euskadi

sonny73
sonny73 Posts: 2,203
edited July 2012 in Pro race
3 more years for Euskaltel Euskadi, good news: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/12491/Euskaltel-Euskadi-team-confirmed-for-three-more-years-Sanchez-and-Anton-remain-on-board.aspx
Retaining its top riders Samuel Sánchez and Igor Antón, details of plans for the Euskaltel Euskadi team post-2012 have emerged at a press conference held today in the Zamudio Technology Park. The Basque squad has set the goal of continuing to be part of the UCI WorldTour, and will have a budget of nine million euro for next season.

Previously facing an uncertain future, the team now has a guaranteed backing for the next three years. According to Biciciclismo, Pro Cycling Team Basque will take over from the Euskadi Foundation in running the team, with Igor Gonzalez de Galdeano acting as its Director General plus as the general manager of the team itself.

Comments

• rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    But will they remain in the Pro Tour?
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Is 9 million Euros enough to run a Pro Tour team? I wouldn't have thought that would cover rider wages.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,750
    What exactly are the sponsors? I'm amazed they have continued considering the diminishing returns. They didn't even have the usual solo suicide break in the Pyrenees from memory.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Pross wrote:
    What exactly are the sponsors? I'm amazed they have continued considering the diminishing returns. They didn't even have the usual solo suicide break in the Pyrenees from memory.

Euskaltel is the Basque regional telephone company and Euskasdi is the Basque regional government.

They're basically civil servants. I'd love to see how they square their Basque only stance with EU employment law too. Racists.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    I'd love to see how they square their Basque only stance with EU employment law too. Racists.

Could they do something sneaky, like specify you must have a "X" in any of your four names...?
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Calder
    Calder Posts: 51

...... I'd love to see how they square their Basque only stance with EU employment law too. Racists.

They cover their asses by having the 'ethnic(?) minority' rider, Sammy Sanchez. Who is their only non-Basque rider.

I'm glad they're sticking around anyway, the peloton would literally be a duller place without them.
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    Pross wrote:

Euskaltel is the Basque regional telephone company and Euskasdi is the Basque regional government.

They're basically civil servants. I'd love to see how they square their Basque only stance with EU employment law too. Racists.

Racists. Are you serious? I hope not.

This is one seriously patriotic little corner of Spain and like the football club Athletic Bilbao - they seek to employ only Basque. For Bilbao to have achieved what they did in the Europa league, employing only yokels is amazing and to be admired, not mocked.

This is a people who have been shat on for many many years and are a plucky bunch and as friendly as you like, which you would quickly find out - were you to go there (which I have on many many occasions).

Not certain how much EU Legislation bullcrap stands for in that particular part of spain!
    And good on em.
  • disgruntledgoat
    tremayne wrote:
    Pross wrote:

This is one seriously patriotic little corner of Spain and like the football club Athletic Bilbao - they seek to employ only Basque. For Bilbao to have achieved what they did in the Europa league, employing only yokels is amazing and to be admired, not mocked.

This is a people who have been shat on for many many years and are a plucky bunch and as friendly as you like, which you would quickly find out - were you to go there (which I have on many many occasions).

Not certain how much EU Legislation bullcrap stands for in that particular part of spain!
    And good on em.

Erm thanks... I too have spent a decent amount of time (racing as it happens!) in the Basque Country and I love it. I would not call them yokels, at least not to their faces.

I wasn't being serious, although Basque Nationalism has an ugly side (especially for a region that has never been independent). And you'd think that they'd be fairly well disposed towards the EU, given their money funds all their Euskera speaking institutions.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,750
    tremayne wrote:

And good on em.

And therein lies the problem, it is illegal to do that as far as I can tell. I assume they use a way around it such as "need to be fluent in Basque" but you cannot actively choose to recruit only from a specific ethnic group. I'm not saying it's right or wrong but can you imagine if Sky decided they would only pick British staff? There used to be a limit on the number of foreigners allowed to play in football teams but that had to be lifted as part of this legislation, some will argue it was for the worse.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    We could debate the rights and wrongs of their employment policy all day long but in short the answer is "don't f*ck with them".

As others have said at least the team are going to keep going which is a plus for cycling.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,821
    You know Euskatel are orange because Euskatel, the telephone provider, is basically Orange?

I.e. their orange has no good historical roots, unlike the Dutch orange - ergo Dutch orange is better ;).
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Yeah - Basque colours are red white and green aren't they - looks like a union flag with green for blue, right?
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    I thought i read on here that Festina were coming aboard as sponsor next year, or was that a wind up?
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    TommyEss wrote:
    Yeah - Basque colours are red white and green aren't they - looks like a union flag with green for blue, right?

Yep.
    basque.jpg&w=350&h=263&ei=ZwIPUIfaEYSs0QWN6YCIDQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=547&vpy=148&dur=652&hovh=195&hovw=259&tx=102&ty=95&sig=104856570016354993209&page=1&tbnh=130&tbnw=173&start=0&ndsp=46&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0,i:79

Well my girlfriend will be happy, she is a carrots fan.
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    Great news. I can continue to 'offend' those who think wearing team kit is a crime :lol:

Seriously, I am pleased (and not just because I can continue to impersonate a bulging orange) as they are a charismatic team with rare but pleasurable bursts of brilliance. Might be down to 'preparation' at times, but they have had some great results over the years.

Hope they continue at Pro Tour, but that size of budget won't help their results. I only ride Orbea bikes (got three), so doing my bit to try and help them out.
  • liquor box
    liquor box Posts: 184
    I think for a team that claims to represent an area they should be allowed to recruit from that area only. This builds a bit of patriotism and support for the team and this can only be good for the team and cycling as a whole. I like seeing people from certain areas or countries passionately supporting "their" team at races.
  • rick_chasey
    Euskaltel don't just have people who are from the Basque region anyway.

Sam Sanchez isn't and Contador is eligible.

If you have ridden for Basque clubs in the past it counts too - as long as you have the mentality and spirit of a Basque and understand that yours is a Basque team.

And, TBH, most Spanish pros probably have ridden for a Basque team at some point.
  • disgruntledgoat

If you have ridden for Basque clubs in the past it counts too - as long as you have the mentality and spirit of a Basque.

So a love of making money and a deep rooted suspicion of the Guardia Civil will be enough?

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey

If you have ridden for Basque clubs in the past it counts too - as long as you have the mentality and spirit of a Basque.

So a love of making money and a deep rooted suspicion of the Guardia Civil will be enough?

TBH, if you don't have a deep rooted suspicion of the Guardia Civil I worry for your sanity.
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    tremayne wrote:
    Pross wrote:

And good on em.

Erm thanks... I too have spent a decent amount of time (racing as it happens!) in the Basque Country and I love it. I would not call them yokels, at least not to their faces.

I wasn't being serious, although Basque Nationalism has an ugly side (especially for a region that has never been independent). And you'd think that they'd be fairly well disposed towards the EU, given their money funds all their Euskera speaking institutions.

Fair enough!!

And yes - they aren't all mountain goats. Having witnessed quite a few of their 'strong man' competitions (which they absolutely love) you are absolutely correct that I wouldn't be calling them yokels (or in fact anything derogatory!) to their face - or otherwise.

And sadly, yes - their struggle does have a very ugly side. Not anywhere near like it was in the 70's - but still a problem.

Answering another question - yep, their flag looks a lot like our union flag. Our flag was in fact the basis of their flag. They liked it a lot - and weren't above a little bit of 'sharing'. Another interesting fact is that their main footie club is called 'Athletic' and not 'Athletico'. Again - the British connection.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,134
    Aren't they related to our Welsh friends....??

Maybe we need a Welsh ProTeam; Plaid Cymru .. :wink: Geraint Thomas would qualify..
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • disgruntledgoat
    AndyRAC wrote:
    Aren't they related to our Welsh friends....??

Maybe we need a Welsh ProTeam; Plaid Cymru .. :wink: Geraint Thomas would qualify..

Their flag (The Ikurrina, fact fans!) is in fact exactly the same as the Cornish nationalist flag.

As to the Basques rather stern attitude, especially where money is concerned, I recall a tweet from Vaughters after losing a bet with Igo Gonzalez De Galdeano that ended "No way am I stiffing him, he's Basque!"

@gietvangent
  • Good news. Quite a commitment too given the weak finances of Spanish regional governments are in the headlines today.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    You know Euskatel are orange because Euskatel, the telephone provider, is basically Orange?

I.e. their orange has no good historical roots, unlike the Dutch orange - ergo Dutch orange is better ;).

And of course neither set of orange can win a sodding thing.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.