Directeur Sportif

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,585
edited July 2012 in Pro race
If you were going to do a one of race, the race of your life, which DS in the current pro-peloton would you want in the car behind you?

For the sake of argument, ignore any language barriers.

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,385
    Bjarne...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Guimard in his pomp... But since you said current, I'll take this years model Mark Madiot.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Erik Dekker I think it is for Rabobank you hear screaming in TT's from the car, at for example LLS, it would wind me up so much I would go like the clappers.
    If not him then Brian Holm, top bloke.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Not a DS yet, but probably will be in the future - Jensie. :)

If it HAD to be a current DS, then Madiot.

What about you then, Rick?
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Guimard in his pomp... But since you said current, I'll take this years model Mark Madiot.
    Madiot probably learnt his stuff from his time under Guimard, and can be equally driving, but he's probably a lot easier guy to get along with. Guimard had some of the old schoolmaster in him.

Guimard works as Tour pundit on French TV/radio nowadays and, as in France the Tour also wasn't found that exciting, one of Guimard's suggestions how to improve it was to reduce team size to 7 riders and to then add a couple of more teams. I hope Prud'homme was listening.
    Guimard also spoke out against radios and I hope Prud'homme was listening then too.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    If you were going to do a one of race, the race of your life, which DS in the current pro-peloton would you want in the car behind you?

For the sake of argument, ignore any language barriers.

Brian Holm or Rolf Aldag
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Massive Guimard fan, but if it has to be current then probably Madiot. Pure passion in that man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    Charly Wegelius seems so have started well, and I like him. Otherwise Brian Holm or Matt White seem to be Ok.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    I reckon Lefevre is a pretty good motivator.

If we go old skool, Jose de Cauwer for me, though that's mainly because I have a man-crush on him.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    A one off race ??
    You don't say how long this DS has known me. (rather important that)

My vote is for Dave Brailsford who is able to bring a "Team of relative Road Race Novices" to the top of the Pro Race scene.

However I couldn't motivate myself to hand over my "Life" to such a Regime with it's rigorous testing, so I will just forgo the One Off Race and enjoy my cycling my way. Sorry. :P
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Can anyone explain why Sean Yates always sounds he's been on the beer all day.
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    Sean Yates sounds almost the same as Keef Richards - and there isn't much he hasn't been at..
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,308
    PeteMadoc wrote:

Yes. He's been on the beer all day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    PeteMadoc wrote:

He sounds like he's been on something a bit stronger than beer (for a long time).

I'd like to say Madiot, but I like the two guys that were at HTC that are in CHasing Legends. Is it Rolf Aldag one of them?
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I love that bit in Overcoming where Riis is telling Yates abou Jose Maria Jimenez

"Depression... Cocaine...Rehab facility... heart attack... dead at 28..."

Yates looks up from his newspaper drawls "That's a sad story" then goes back to it.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

If we go old skool, Jose de Cauwer for me, though that's mainly because I have a man-crush on him.

Folks like Lefevre and Brailsford aren't really DS's though, are they? Like Amadio they're general manager type folks.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:

Folks like Lefevre and Brailsford aren't really DS's though, are they? Like Amadio they're general manager type folks.

Lefevre still sits in the car from time to time doesn't he?
  • iainf72

Lefevre still sits in the car from time to time doesn't he?

Probably between threatening to sue people.

But you have Wilfred Peeters rockin' the mic when you want to win races.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Gianni Savio

Their Christmas party always has the best drugs.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    May as well make it an unforgettable experience...Peter Post
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Brian Holm, obviously. The man is hilarious.

Just read his recent book about being a SD. When he called Lars Bak to say he was in the team for the Tour De France 2011 with HTC, he started of saying he wasn't selected. A shocked Lars Bak questions why and Brian gives the reasonable explanation; "Lars, you lie too much and you have repeatedly appeared in public with white socks in sandals".

Also, during the same Tour he drives up to Greipel who has had a puncture 25 km before the sprint and the whole Lotto-team is waiting for him. Brian rolls down the window and shouts "Gringo!!" Greipel stops pedalling and moves towards Brian. Brian then handles him a HTC-bottle and asks Greipel to deliver it to Mark who's looking thirsty. Greipel then shouts some germanic words and smashes the bottle in the road. "Fred Perry (HTC mechanic) says; that's was on the border! That was definitely streching it! - Rolf Aldag and I are in tears laughing"
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,385
    Which book Thom?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TMR
    ddraver wrote:
    Which book Thom?

One of these:

Smerten - glæden : erindringer fra et liv på cykel, Hovedland, Denmark, 2002. ISBN 87-7739-588-3.

An autobiography written in Danish. The title can be translated to The pain - the joy: memories of a life on the bike.

Den sidste kilometer - En bog om at blive klogere, People's Press, Denmark, 2009, ISBN 978-87-7055-755-9.

A book in Danish about his cancer. The title can be translated to The last kilometer - A book about becoming wiser.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    ddraver wrote:
    Which book Thom?
    This one. Released only two months ago. http://www.saxo.com/dk/sportsdirektoere ... 8771087086

Not in english and I find it hard to believe it ever will be.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Marc Madiot of Francaise-Des-Jeux - Bigmat.

That guy's got some passion.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Bruyneel with Ferrari on speed dial
  • TMR
    ThomThom wrote:
    Not in english and I find it hard to believe it ever will be.

Shame, I'd buy it.
  • iainf72

Ahhh, remember the beginning of the season when everyone hated him for opposing endura in the Tour of Med

Then he does shouting on TV and everyone loves him
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:

Ahhh, remember the beginning of the season when everyone hated him for opposing endura in the Tour of Med

Don't remember the Tour of Med.

Summery?
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    iainf72 wrote:

Don't remember the Tour of Med.

Summery?

Tiernan-Locke Won! :D