will commuting be more or less help to my fitness?

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
i have started this week to commute to work, it is only a 3 mile route pretty much downhill on way to work and uphill on way back. i tend to have 2 proper ride in the week say tuesday /thursday then long ride saturday.usually that would add up to near 90 milesish. i guess i will only know in time if its a bad thing for my training as in theory i don't get much of a rest...forgot to mention i work nights so this week i have not had a rest day since friday. i have already thought i shoulnt ride after my long ride on saturday till monday night to recover.
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    ianbar wrote:
    i have started this week to commute to work, it is only a 3 mile route pretty much downhill on way to work and uphill on way back. i tend to have 2 proper ride in the week say tuesday /thursday then long ride saturday.usually that would add up to near 90 milesish. i guess i will only know in time if its a bad thing for my training as in theory i don't get much of a rest...forgot to mention i work nights so this week i have not had a rest day since friday. i have already thought i shoulnt ride after my long ride on saturday till monday night to recover.

3 miles isn't anything. Spinning your legs out should not do any harm, just don't put any effort in.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    An easy ride the day after a hard ride is good for recovery. But I agree, 3 miles barely counts as a bike ride. Can't you extend that a bit? My direct route to work is only 4 miles, but I rarely go that way and usually take an 11 mile route which at least burns a few calories and just about counts as a proper bike ride.
    More problems but still living....
  • zn533
    zn533 Posts: 66
    If you go as fast as you can for every inch of that 3 miles, you will definitely get fitter. Make sure you stop at lights and junctions though. Accelerating hard does wonders for your power output.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    zn533 wrote:
    If you go as fast as you can for every inch of that 3 miles, you will definitely get fitter. Make sure you stop at lights and junctions though. Accelerating hard does wonders for your power output.

I'd probably want to warm up for, oh I dunno about 3 miles, before riding as hard as I could :wink:
    More problems but still living....
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    amaferanga wrote:
    zn533 wrote:

I'd probably want to warm up for, oh I dunno about 3 miles, before riding as hard as I could :wink:

Yes it will be damaging if you go all out for that 3 miles because you wont have warmed up, just cycle but pootle along and put in zero effort.

And 3 miles is not a warm up...takes me 45 minutes to warm up!
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    i know 3 miles is not a ride, but it is pretty much all extra to what i ave already being doing, it was more the fact i was worried my legs are getting no rest day at all but understand that its not a distance.i will jut take it very easy, trying to save some fuel money to spend on other things ;-)
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012