Cummings and Tour coverage

Courage Monsieur
Courage Monsieur Posts: 534
edited July 2012 in Pro race
Amazing Tour this year of course. Just unreal.

Is it me or did the otherwise great ITV4 coverage not feature anything about Steve Cummings? I might've missed it.

An interview of a few minutes would've been nice. Could've been used instead of the usual, predictable Jens Voigt slot.

While Cummings is of course overshadowed by the other Brits I think the coverage should've at least checked in with him now and then. Doubly so since he was riding for Evans.

Maybe the policy now is that being British isn't enough to get on the TV. Admittedly I'm from an era where we were grateful just to have one or two British riders in the race!

Cheers

Comments

• TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I'd rather see Jens TBH. He's hilarious :)
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    I'd rather see Jens TBH. He's hilarious :)

I think he gets away with a lot because of his comedy accent. I saw an interview last year where he was asked which rider he admired, and he said "me - I'm pretty impressed with myself still getting a contract and riding the Tour at 40"

if anyone else had said that of all the riders they admired themselves the most, I'm not sure they would have got away with it
  • Christ what did I even mention Voigt for...
    He's OK, always nice to hear the funny accent and shut up legs stuff.
    But what about the fifth Brit?
  • ShavenLegs
    ShavenLegs Posts: 33
    It's true, you'd have been hard pressed to know Cummings was even there based on the TV coverage. To be fair though he wasn't involved in much of the glamorous action that the coverage was focussed on, but it would have been nice to see a bit more about the role of a domestic on the Tour and he would have been an ideal man to follow for that.
  • ruswilks
    ruswilks Posts: 72
    ShavenLegs wrote:
    It's true, you'd have been hard pressed to know Cummings was even there based on the TV coverage. To be fair though he wasn't involved in much of the glamorous action that the coverage was focussed on, but it would have been nice to see a bit more about the role of a domestic on the Tour and he would have been an ideal man to follow for that.

Other than not having a wheel to give to Evans because he punctured as well I can't think of him getting a mention in any of the highlights really. He wasn't there with Evans in the really high stuff and I don't remember him getting in too many breaks so there may not have been many questions to ask of him.

A rider like Jens is always good for a sound bite as well, which in a highlight show is what they are after.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103

While Cummings is of course overshadowed by the other Brits I think the coverage should've at least checked in with him now and then. Doubly so since he was riding for Evans.

Cheers

+ 1 agreed - with Cummings and Wiggins being the only two English riders in the race this year would have been nice to see some interview snippets from Stephen - he's done ok this year especially coming back from that injury.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,751
    So just because he's British they should have done a piece on him? He had a nothing Tour really, not terrible but not great saw him briefly in the mountains when they were bringing Evans back following his puncture and I think he was quite heavily bandaged from a fall. I'm not quite sure what benefit a piece about him would have been, they posted his position at the end of each stage though.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    ruswilks wrote:

Other than not having a wheel to give to Evans because he punctured as well I can't think of him getting a mention in any of the highlights really. He wasn't there with Evans in the really high stuff and I don't remember him getting in too many breaks so there may not have been many questions to ask of him.

He was in quite a lot of breaks in the mountains. Certainly 2 or more.

I didn't watch a single episode of the ITV coverage, so can't comment on him not appearing there, but "live" (not that there was much life in the TdF) I saw him a bunch of times on ES. Feltet.dk even did a piece when he knackered his leg.

It is a disgrace - He's the only one of the british riders born in England :P
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.