Custom Specialized FSR XC Pro

oxocube1
oxocube1 Posts: 651
edited December 2013 in Your mountain bikes
*Updated pics in post below*

Heres my 2010 Spesh FSR XC Pro. Absolutely love this thing, its perfect for darting around on my local trails and is perfect for climbs/downs at trail centres. The majority of the bike is new/custom parts just a few components are the originals. Just thought I would share it with you guys.

IMG_3749.jpg
IMG_3750.jpg
IMG_3757.jpg
IMG_3759.jpg
IMG_3756.jpg
IMG_3752.jpg
IMG_3747.jpg
GOPR0477.jpg

Specs
Brakes: Avid Juicy 7s
Bash Guard: Blackspire C4 32-36t
Chainset: Shimano Deore HT2 Cranks with SLX 36t and 22t chainrings
Forks: 120mm Rockshox Reba SL
Front Mech: Shimano SLX
Gear Shifters: Shimano Deore 3x9 spd
Grips: Superstar SupaGripa
Handlebars: Kore Torsion 710mm
Headset: Tioga Alchemy
Hubs: Specialized Stout
Pedals: DMR V8 Acid Red
Rear Mech: Shimano XT 9spd
Rims: DT Swiss Custom 445D
Rotors: Superstar Floating Rotors 185 front, 160 rear
Saddle: Body Geometry
Seatpost: Superstar Layback Post
Shock: Fox/Specialized Triad
Stem: Superstar Zenith AM 65mm
Tyres: Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 FR front and rear

Comments

• chrisjnr19
    chrisjnr19 Posts: 231
    Very tidy! Nice pictures too :

If you don't mind me asking, what camera do you use?
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I'd be careful with that wide angle lens, look what it's done to your fork and your rear wheel! :)
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • oxocube1
    chrisjnr19 wrote:
    Very tidy! Nice pictures too :

If you don't mind me asking, what camera do you use?

Thanks dude! I used my brothers Canon EOS 500D Digital SLR for all the photos except the last one. That one i used my GoPro Hero2.
  • oxocube1
    Giraffoto wrote:
    I'd be careful with that wide angle lens, look what it's done to your fork and your rear wheel! :)

Haha yea it was difficult to ride after that picture! :D
  • I bought and fitted a new set of XT brakes last week. They have a huge amount of stopping power even before being bed in! Very happy!

I also fitted a Blackspire Stinger To soak up that extra chain slack. It works really well, definitely would recommend if you use a double crankset.

IMG_3827.jpg
    IMG_3828.jpg
    IMG_3830.jpg
    IMG_3831.jpg
    IMG_3832.jpg
    IMG_3836.jpg
    IMG_3833.jpg
    IMG_3834.jpg
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You thought about a longer fork? I stuck a 140mm on mine (130mm is warranty max, but what the hell). Has made a big difference, as has raised the BB just enough to stop a lot of pedal strikes. Also feels more 'AM', as before I was finding despite what fork I fitted, the rear end was plusher than the front. Now feels more balanced:

fsrnew-2.jpg
  • supersonic wrote:
    You thought about a longer fork? I stuck a 140mm on mine (130mm is warranty max, but what the hell). Has made a big difference, as has raised the BB just enough to stop a lot of pedal strikes. Also feels more 'AM', as before I was finding despite what fork I fitted, the rear end was plusher than the front. Now feels more balanced:

Ye i had considered it but never really fully looked into it. Its good to know that it's capable of taking a 140 cheers dude. That would probably a long term upgrade as the Rebas are currently doing a great job. But i know what you mean about the pedal strikes! The BB is particularly low!
  • Nice bikes guys, I have put rock shox revelation XX 150mm dual air on mine, also swapped out the xfusion shock for a longer fox RP23, it has upped rear travel to 135mm... The bike rides and handles great. The xt brakes are fantastic, I've coupled mine up to the xt shifters with the ispec clamps, rock shox reverb seat post is a total game changer, 70mm nukeproof stem and 760 bars help keep it under control, and sun ringle black flag pro wheels are super quick.
  • oxocube1
    Nice bikes guys, I have put rock shox revelation XX 150mm dual air on mine, also swapped out the xfusion shock for a longer fox RP23, it has upped rear travel to 135mm... The bike rides and handles great. The xt brakes are fantastic, I've coupled mine up to the xt shifters with the ispec clamps, rock shox reverb seat post is a total game changer, 70mm nukeproof stem and 760 bars help keep it under control, and sun ringle black flag pro wheels are super quick.

Ah nice. Yea mine has been updated quite a lot since I last posted on this post! I've gone for the XT shifters and Crank too. Also got some Fox 140RL on there and I have some longer bars now too. Ill post some pics up of it soon to show you guys the changes.
  • Hi oxocube I have just bought one looks mint yours what gear set up have you got on yours pal
  • oxocube1
    Scotty672 wrote:
    Hi oxocube I have just bought one looks mint yours what gear set up have you got on yours pal

Hey, I was running a 2x9 setup. 36/22 Rings up front and a 11-34 cassette on the back. Worked really well for the bike but I hardly ever used the granny ring so ended up switching it to 1x9 now that all the components are now on my Mega. Really nice bike to ride though. It climbed brilliantly and it's easy to keep the whole bike light with the right kit on it!
  • Cool how did you find the 2x9 set up for climbing and for speed going down ? Looks well
  • Just had alook at your other bikes nice this xc is my 1st full sus bike so just wanting to no how it ride as I am just transferring parts for my hard tail I am putting 120 mm travel forks on but I am hoping I can pug read to 140mm next year
  • oxocube1
    Scotty672 wrote:
    Cool how did you find the 2x9 set up for climbing and for speed going down ? Looks well

The 2x9 was fine for climbing. I spent 95% of my time riding the bike in the 36t cog. Only when it got seriously steep/technical did I drop to the 22t. And at the other end of the spectrum I only ever got into 9th gear on long road hills. Most of my trail riding was done in the 36t up front and between gears 2-7 on the cassette. So I would say it was perfect for my level of fitness and riding style. I never ran out of gears at either end.
    Scotty672 wrote:
    Just had alook at your other bikes nice this xc is my 1st full sus bike so just wanting to no how it ride as I am just transferring parts for my hard tail I am putting 120 mm travel forks on but I am hoping I can pug read to 140mm next year

It's a great first full susser as i discovered! Mine started with 120mm then upped it to 140mm. It does ride well with either setup, it's just that my riding style changed over the course of using it. The 140s slackened the head angle by about 1 degree which made it a perfect trail machine that could handle big descents, but could also climb well and stayed relatively light in the process.

This is what it looked like with the 140mm Fox RL:

image_zps8dda8114.jpg
    IMG_1344_zps7800a887.jpg
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Lovely bike, how are you finding the stem? I haven't seen many opinions on them...
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • Nice how tall are you I am 6ft2 and got a large frame
  • oxocube1
    Lewis A wrote:
    Lovely bike, how are you finding the stem? I haven't seen many opinions on them...

The stem was great on this bike and still is now that it's been moved over to the Mega, although I maybe changing it to a slightly shorter one in the near future. Never had any issues or anything with it, seemed to do it's job very well and I think(?) it's relatively light for an AM stem.
    Scotty672 wrote:
    Nice how tall are you I am 6ft2 and got a large frame

Same height as me then at 6' 2". This is a medium and It was clearly too small for me, which was one of the main reasons why I bought and built up the Mega frame. I found that on long rides I would get a bit of back and neck pain which I think was largely due to the frame size being too small. I rode most of the time with the seatpost extended by at least 250mm, maybe more. I imagine the Large should be spot on for you.
  • cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    I like this....but then again i am biased. Looks really nice in white.
  • Oxocube just got a fox ctd where did you get bushes from to fit ?
  • You frame thanks pal
  • cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    Scotty672 wrote:
    Oxocube just got a fox ctd where did you get bushes from to fit ?

I got mine from TF Tuned shox. Awesome bunch of guys.
  • I have put it on this way it's a fox ctd but the linkage was hitting top of shock so I emailed mojo and they said its fine to work this was I was going to post a pic but don't no how lol