Are you all pimp whores?

paul.skibum
paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
edited August 2012 in MTB general
I browse the Your Rides section from time to time and appreciate some of the bikes on there. I am fully aware of the your money, spend it how you like arguement but do wonder if some people take upgrading too far.

For example -
DanDax1990 wrote:
Lovely looking bike mate, How are the jockey wheels doing? May get some if they're recommended?

Jockey wheels? Really? Does anyone even care about their jockey wheels? If they are turning and the gears shift they work, does anyone really consider jockey wheels a pimp-able item?

If I was looking to spend say 20 quid on something it would be a tank of gas to get me somewhere I havent ridden before not a set of jockey wheels.
Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Some people are more bothered about looks than the way it rides lol.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Ride? Who rides?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I'll be honest. I did buy some shiney chainring bolts for my bikes :oops: Although I needed new ones (shorter) on the 456 and they were on offer, I exactly didn't go out my way to buy them. On the other bike it was 100% pure tartishness though.

I like my bikes to look nice, especially given I've spent most of the past 2 years stuck away from them, so it's nice to see photos of them and to a certain extent they would cheer me up a fair bit at times. Wouldn't buy something so pointless again though. Especially now as I'm able to get on with riding again I don't mind what they look like too much, can't really see them when I'm sat on them :lol:
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    For example -
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    Lovely looking bike mate, How are the jockey wheels doing? May get some if they're recommended?

Jockey wheels? Really? Does anyone even care about their jockey wheels? If they are turning and the gears shift they work, does anyone really consider jockey wheels a pimp-able item?

Or to look at it another way, the OEM ones have just about packed in and have become throwing stars, he needs some more. If regular ones are £20, and shiny ones are £20, why would you not go for the shiny ones?

If you are too poor to be able to afford £20 in petrol AND £20 on jockey wheels, that's your problem ;)

I love riding my bike. I also like making it look nice. Would I buy a part because it looked nice rather than working well, no of course not. Would I spend extra money to buy something that works as well as something else, but is better looking? Sure, why not.

and yes, I've got some KCNC jockey wheels on my Reed, The replacement X9 ones cost £20, these cost £25. They're lighter, clean better, roll easier and smoother, but they were available in a range of colours to suit.

That all said though........

I don't understand people who go and spend £300 on a bike, then spend 20% of the value again buying hope skewers, seatclamps, and kcnc jockey wheels. So from that perspective we're in agreement.
  • S-M
    S-M Posts: 174
    I think i might have been :lol:

Bought a new Boardman Pro HT, used to polish it, change things for anodized shiny versions, and worry about it getting marked, so bought a 98 FSR cheap as a project, thinking i could use it for the rough stuff, and save the Boardman for the not so rough stuff, ie the ride 10 mile each way to work :roll: :lol:

Boardman kept breaking anyway, always waiting for the BB30 to fail again :roll: :lol:

The FSR was stripped, then painted, then turned into a show queen where i worried about the nice paint getting damaged and respraying parts of it when chipped, FFS!!

Picked up a 1999 FSR Elite Max Backbone frame on eBay a couple of weeks ago (£45 bargain), built it up with parts from the other FSR, only this time i never stripped it down and repainted everything, i left the previous chips/marks and stuff on the bike, its brilliant!

Now i just ride the tits off it and don't worry about damaging the stupid fragile bling stuff.

Worst bling/pimp thing i ever bought? anodised green rotor bolts for the Boardman, total shite, they must have been made from cheese.
    1999 Specialized FSR Elite MAX Backbone.
    1998 Specialized FSR Ground Control - stripped for parts.
    2011 Boardman Pro HT - SOLD! (low quality, expensive garbage)
  • Shit yeah!
    Although my bike is pimp enough, so now I am buying matching clothes. :P
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298

If you are too poor to be able to afford £20 in petrol AND £20 on jockey wheels, that's your problem ;)

Nice attitude son.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • I have to say i do agree with you. I have been absent from the MTB "scene" for a long time and do wonder if people are obsessing with the bikes a LITTLE more than needed for something that will be getting caked in crud and not just used to cruise through town (with 6" o' travel at each end) :roll:.

People asking for advice if the pedals they just bought "go with the rest of the shiny bits" OR asking for colour recommendations/advice!...... Then buying another pair because they "don't coordinate" with some obscure item on the bike i mean WT......F :roll:. or replacing all the hose on the disc brakes with fancy coloured braided hose (for god knows how much £'s).

To many middle age blokes with disposable income :lol::lol:. ....... Must be the "modern" equivalent of the midlife crisis sports car...... I was going to say at least it will be cheaper BUT i'm not so sure LMAO! :D.

In all seriousness shiny anodized bit are nice sure but hitting rocks and grinding dirt will soon make your Hope look like Tektro! perhaps spend more time riding rather than looking at your bikes.

Thanks.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Coloured hoses have got to be up there in the pantheon of pointlessness haven't they.

Some people are crackers, but hey, your money.
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    I have a what I consider to be a nice bike but every component is black. There is the odd flash of red or gold but only where it came as standard on the component. No coloured bolts as all mine are Titainium :)
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I'll admit to being a bit of a bike tart. I like to buy shiney stuff for my bike but it has to be functional so the only anodised alloy bolts are some red ones I used to fill the pointless bottle holder holes. But I have colour matched other parts (red handlebars, hubs, skewer, seat clamp, etc). At the same time though the last thing I worry about it the odd scratch. When I do clean it up it looks good from a distance but get close and you'll soon see a bike that gets ridden rather than pampered.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • cat_with_no_tail
    plugp7 wrote:

Nice attitude son.

:roll:
    Listen son. You're clearly a bit slow on the uptake, so I'll point out just for you that the little wink hinted at the fact it was a bit of gentle ribbing.

Paul has been around here long enough to understand that and apperciate the comment was made in jest. Thanks for popping in with your valuable insight though.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    plugp7 wrote:

Nice attitude son.

:roll:
    Listen son. You're clearly a bit slow on the uptake, so I'll point out just for you that the little wink hinted at the fact it was a bit of gentle ribbing.

Paul has been around here long enough to understand that and apperciate the comment was made in jest. Thanks for popping in with your valuable insight though.
    I was going to buy bling jockey wheels, but then discovered the wonders of the vajazzle.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I'd like to come out the closet and admit to doing this, its as much as a hobby as the actual riding itself!
    infact i probably spend more time sourcing fitting and generally bling the bike than riding!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • cat_with_no_tail
    What I want to know is why anyone would put wheels on a jockey anyway? Unless they're planning on creating some form of hybrid racing where the horses pull the jockeys.
    *hmmmm*
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    I browse the Your Rides section from time to time and appreciate some of the bikes on there. I am fully aware of the your money, spend it how you like arguement but do wonder if some people take upgrading too far.

For example -
    DanDax1990 wrote:

If I was looking to spend say 20 quid on something it would be a tank of gas to get me somewhere I havent ridden before not a set of jockey wheels.

I think the point is that it's each to their own.

If someone spends £300 on a bike and then spends £60 on small upgrades and additions, why not? It's their money.

It's not really any different in concept to people who modify their cars or even do up their house. People can do what they like.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • cooldad
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    I'd like to come out the closet.
    Do it. You'll be much happier not repressing all that stuff.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    cooldad wrote:
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    I'd like to come out the closet.
    Do it. You'll be much happier not repressing all that stuff.
    it makes me who i am! The pink frills look nice with my riding kit.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Stop kidding yourself, nothing looks nice with 29 inch wheels.
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    edited July 2012
    I agree it's all pointless, I think everyone should wear beige jumpers, drive silver Ford Focuses and ride Specialized Stumpjumpers. If everyone had the same components in the same colours then the manufacturers wouldn't have to make as many variants as it would reduce costs which could be passed on the consumer. That way I could save enough money to buy a shotgun to shoot myself in the face in my magnolia painted bedroom.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Yes

Next question

I am fat, middle aged and have enough disposable income to buy whatever I like. If it twists anyones tits well thats not my problem. I am having too much fun riding my bikes to care what anyone else is spending there dosh on.

Just bought a purple seatpost and green grips mainly because it will annoy people :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I agree it's all pointless, I think everyone should wear beige jumpers drive silver Ford Focuses and ride Specialized Stumpjumpers. If everyone had the same components in the same colours then the manufacturers wouldn't have to make as many variants as it would reduce costs which could be pasted on the consumer. That way I could save enough money to buy a shotgun to shoot myself in the face in my magnolia painted bedroom.

This
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cat_with_no_tail
    I agree it's all pointless, I think everyone should wear beige jumpers, drive silver Ford Focuses and ride Specialized Stumpjumpers. If everyone had the same components in the same colours then the manufacturers wouldn't have to make as many variants as it would reduce costs which could be passed on the consumer. That way I could save enough money to buy a shotgun to shoot myself in the face in my magnolia painted bedroom.

:lol:

Where you been M&C? you're hardly around these days

You missed out on another cruddy gathering that will rival BRL.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Just spent £10 on red chainring bolts :oops:

In fairness, I only ever buy parts that I need, if they happen to come in red its a bonus :D
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Where you been M&C? you're hardly around these days

You missed out on another cruddy gathering that will rival BRL.

I'm still around, tend to use more local forums with the guys I actually ride with now, plus I actually have to do some work at my job to get by now! - hard times out there! :D Will keep an eye out for Cruddy goings-on.

Just to keep it on topic, this is one of my latest hauls from those kind folk at CRC - Yummy!
    598708_10151770199870656_786599018_n.jpg
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • cooldad
    Those would match CWNT's new clown bike.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mintedox
    mintedox Posts: 273
    I don't do bling at all, just stuff that works. My mate is slowly tarting his bike up and cries when he scratches it. What's the point?
    Papa? Nicole
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    plugp7 wrote:

Nice attitude son.

Thanks for popping in with your valuable insight though.

My pleasure, son.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    If someone's replacing a worn out part, or changing for comfort (saddle, bars grips, pedals etc), then sure, go with something that complements the bike's colours or whatever. It would be rare not to.
    What i can't fathom though, it people who buy parts simply because of their colour, and for no other reason.
  • Gavalar
    Gavalar Posts: 44
    Oh im loving this topic!!!!!!

I am one HUGE bike tart and proud of it :D

My bike has more bling then MrT and there is still room for more. and it isnt just for show it gets ridden hard and fast every weekend and she loves it!!!!!!

It maybe poitnless but its my bike and i will do as i please to her :lol::lol::lol::lol:

PS if i could work out how to post a picture of here i would but i cant :cry: