Olympic Squad Open Session...

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,215
edited July 2012 in Track
at Newport next Wednesday. Has anyone managed to get tickets? By time I heard about it all the tickets had gone :(

Comments

• lemon63
    lemon63 Posts: 253
    Hi Pross, the public session is next thurs 26th from 2 til 4. Managed to get a ticket via velodrome website (under the 'Book Online' link), but was not 2 per person as advertised in the Argus, just 1 per application.
    According to Geraint's twitter he's been there all this week, cycling down from the Celtic Manor each day, maybe you can take a chance and pop in during the day to see them train. This is what we did prior to Bejing.
  • Pross
    lemon63 wrote:
    Hi Pross, the public session is next thurs 26th from 2 til 4. Managed to get a ticket via velodrome website (under the 'Book Online' link), but was not 2 per person as advertised in the Argus, just 1 per application.
    According to Geraint's twitter he's been there all this week, cycling down from the Celtic Manor each day, maybe you can take a chance and pop in during the day to see them train. This is what we did prior to Bejing.

Yep, meant Thursday sorry! I was chatting to one of the Welsh Cycling staff who said all the other sessions are closed and even the open session is going to be ridiculously high security (no photos, video, mobiles etc. allowed).

I'm at the Celtic later so hoping to bump into some of the squad, assumed they'd be staying there.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Its not the same as for beiging as the security has to be tighter as it is our olympics, apparently. Load of bollox really there is only one way onto the velodrome ffs so hardly difficult to manage. If amyone wanted to target olympic cyclists they woould do it in surrey when they train on the roads !!
  • jonsi
    jonsi Posts: 44
    They have also released tickets for sessions on Monday & Tuesday!
  • AlunJ
    AlunJ Posts: 40
    I've managed to get a ticket for tomorrow, I did have one for thursday but had to give it up as I'm working ironically for the olympic football in cardiff.
    Alun

Road: Dolan L'Etape Carbon 105
    MTB: 2016 Voodoo Hoodoo
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    Are you the G4S security man that we have been hearing rumours of existing. ( Sorry, couldnt resist :))
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • AlunJ
    No I work in Rail :lol:
    Alun

• AlunJ
    Was fantastic seeing the pro's in action, just a heads up for those going in the week although they told us when booking photography wasn't allowed they did allow it but no flash!
    Alun

• oldwelshman
    I heard one of the sell out days the GB squad decided they do now want to train that day now :D Think they discussing again as tickets sold. Still think its bad have to pay to watch a lottery funded gb team train at a lottery funded track !!
  • Pross
    I heard one of the sell out days the GB squad decided they do now want to train that day now :D Think they discussing again as tickets sold. Still think its bad have to pay to watch a lottery funded gb team train at a lottery funded track !!

The tickets are free.

Saw the team pursuit boys going in for their tea when I was at the Celtic Manor, left them alone though as I suspect the last thing they wanted on the way to get some well earned food was some groupie harassing them!
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    I thought some were free and some sold?

all free - you just have to register for them
  • varno
    varno Posts: 52
    We are down on Thursday....Missing my nippper!!!
  • oldwelshman
    varno wrote:
    We are down on Thursday....Missing my nippper!!!
    Lucky bugger :-) I have to work. I am In surrey tomorrow so taking bike, may see some riders out training there lol.
    You commentating at the games ? lol