29+

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Hasn't that been "the next big thing" several times in the past? I for one wouldn't like to try riding it too far. Still, at least it's got gears.

One thing though...
    the Krampus uses standard 100mm front and 135mm rear dropouts, so you’ll have a huge choice of tyres
    I had no idea that dropouts affected your choice of tyres.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yeah, seen the concept a few times. With the steel frame, it just needs a beard hanging off the front.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    You should patent that idea, a beard hook on the handlebar. Stick it on when riding, take it off to try and blend in with polite society.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I'd ride it.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • YeehaaMcgee
    oodboo wrote:
    I'd ride it.
    Well, it's like a scooter, or a fat lass. Secretly we'd all love a ride just to mess about, but we wouldn't want to be stuck with it long term, and we wouldn't want to be seen riding it.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I'd try one for a bit but I am worried my knees would explode trying to get it moving - they talk about the weight of the Rabbit rim as 699g - is that the wheel or the rim? I am assuming the rim only which puts it say 200-300g heavier than a standard 29er rim? The tyre is an additional 850g again 100-200g heavier than a standard 29er tyre so you have 300-500g of additional rotational mass to get rolling and keep rolling and that's compared to a 29er - its probably more like 300-600g on a 26er.

I cant work out if its innovation for the sake of innovation or just stupidity. Americans. They cannot be trusted.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    It's stupidity.
    Although a part of me does approve of the "if it's worth doing, it's worth over-doing" mentality :lol:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Hasn't that been "the next big thing" several times in the past? I for one wouldn't like to try riding it too far. Still, at least it's got gears.

One thing though...
    the Krampus uses standard 100mm front and 135mm rear dropouts, so you’ll have a huge choice of tyres
    I had no idea that dropouts affected your choice of tyres.
    No but they effect your choice of wheels, so you could run skinny (read normal) wheels and tyres.
    I think the Pugsly has some stupid dropout size so you can only run stupid wheels.

I still quite fancy one, in a brain dead kind of way.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Stupid dropout size still only means nonstandard hubs. Rims are whatever you want.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    cooldad wrote:
    I think the Pugsly has some stupid dropout size so you can only run stupid wheels.

I thought the pugs was a standard 135mm dropout, with the only difference being it was 135mm at both ends, so you can swap them over if something should go wrong when you're out "adventure biking" with your beardy mates.

I still want a pugs though. Having never used my karma beach bike I know it'd never get used, but I still want one for reasons I can't quite fathom.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You're right. Not something I've gotten excited enough to study too hard.
    I tried a mo in Movember, but have no desire to grow a beard.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,384
    You can hire them from a fixie fashionista cafe near me to ride on the beach - thus far I have had no desire too, but I wonder how they'd ride....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • b45her
    b45her Posts: 147
    supersonic wrote:

i just threwup in my mouth a little bit :cry:
    ribble sportive for the black stuff

Canyon Strive AL 8.0 for the brown and green stuff.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    From the advert it seems you need an ASBO to ride one.
    Krampus_flyer-625x835.jpg
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I'd hate to try riding that thing on a long distance trek.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I'd like to give it a try but it looks like hard work, kind of like a monster truck in bike form, heaven forbid anyone that got in the way once that had a bit of momentum behind it!
  • paul.skibum
    I went into the LBS yesterday and they had a Surly Moonlander in http://surlybikes.com/bikes/moonlander/.

I was chatting to the owner and he was saying they were bringing them in to see if they could get a few people out on them in the winter on the snow - one of our local parks has trails that would work for them in the snow and even the xc ski trails on the mountain might work too.

I asked him about rolling resistance and he said, give it a go - rolled it out into the car park and cranked the pedals a few times - rolled up to speed pretty fast and then just kept going - I did three laps around a parked car without a pedal stroke - felt like a perpetual motion machine and it turned really quickly with just a lean of the bike - it felt kinda awesome.

$2000 dollars and change plus tax - I am a bit scared that I want one!
  • On one are getting on the bandwaggon... obviously.

1JEYV9VA-x2d24981f.jpg

AwMCOfFCEAA2Ibi.jpg
  • paul.skibum
    Apparently there was a guy racing in the Trans BC bike race on the Moonlander - runs its tyres at 8 psi or something and was running in top five until he got a flat - I think it took him a week to reinflate the tyre! :lol:
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    On one are getting on the bandwaggon... obviously.
    AwMCOfFCEAA2Ibi.jpg

Three observations . . .
    1. That "mudguard" on the down tube just isn't doing it
    2. This guy doesn't have a beard, which from previous posts seems to be a necessity for riding this bike
    3. Doesn't it make the front disc look tiny?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • YeehaaMcgee
    He does have a beard, he's just disguised it as a helmet strap.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I think I'd like more than one gear on that thing, starting off I imagine it would be like a lorry setting off and need a few gears to get moving!