Warming up for race: rollers or turbo?

Herbsman
Herbsman Posts: 2,029
edited July 2012 in Amateur race
Which is best (or rather, if one is not 'better' than the other, which do you prefer) for pre-race warm-up? Rollers or turbo? Andy why?
CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!

Comments

• Herbsman
    Oops, I meant 'And why?'... not 'Andy why?'. I don't know who Andy is.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Most use rollers...I use a turbo because its what I have.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    I ride up and down the road a few times. Or don't bother at all and use the first lap to get into it. Although this can be risky if you're one of the weaker riders in the race, so I won't be doing that in an e12, but for 2/3 races I've been fine by not bothering.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Do a Wayne Randle. Ride from Barnsley to wherever you're racing, even if it's about a 4 hour ride.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    Turbo now before every race, 10-15 mins working up to a sweat then a mini warm down. Makes a big difference once the flag drops and feel much better once the surges and attacks go that I can get myself across and get involved in the early breaks.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Only time you should really need a turbo or rollers is for a circuit race where you can't get onto the circuit before the race. What's wrong with doing a lap of the race circuit (will help you get to know it and its potholes as well) or just riding about on roads near the race HQ?
    More problems but still living....
  • Herbsman
    You're right, but all it is is that sometimes I panic that I might miss the pre race briefing, and also some of the local midweek road races are well hard from the start
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Rollers better, easier on the tyres. I use rollers to warm up for track and road, I dont need to ride the circuit to warm up as I generally race on same circuits, also not that good a warm up riding up and down roads near a race, much easier and controlled on rollers.
  • DavidJB
    amaferanga wrote:
    Only time you should really need a turbo or rollers is for a circuit race where you can't get onto the circuit before the race. What's wrong with doing a lap of the race circuit (will help you get to know it and its potholes as well) or just riding about on roads near the race HQ?

You've obviously never raced at Portsmouth.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    DavidJB wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

Fortunately not.
    More problems but still living....
  • DavidJB
    amaferanga wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

Fortunately not.

The roads are plain scary around where the circuit is...but then again I'm not used to city riding really.
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    DavidJB wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:
    Fortunately not.

The roads are plain scary around where the circuit is...but then again I'm not used to city riding really.

I lived as a student in Pompy for 3 years, cycling every day. I can't say the roads were any more scary than any other city TBH.
    Simon
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:
    Fortunately not.

I lived as a student in Pompy for 3 years, cycling every day. I can't say the roads were any more scary than any other city TBH.

Glad I don't live in a city ;)
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    Scratch my comment above. I sat in the car on Wed night right up to the start of a race as it was pishin down.
    Used the 3 mile roll out to along with a few early jumps off the front to warm up. Finished 3rd, so,what do I know......
  • DavidJB
    Scratch my comment above. I sat in the car on Wed night right up to the start of a race as it was pishin down.
    Used the 3 mile roll out to along with a few early jumps off the front to warm up. Finished 3rd, so,what do I know......

I didn't warm up on Wednesday due to traffic and had an awful race ;)
  • ShavenLegs
    ShavenLegs Posts: 33
    I find the turbo gives you a more consistent warm up, particularly for a TT. You take out all the other variables of balance, road conditions, weather and can get your body up to full operating speed before you get to the star line.