Embarrassing question...(cycle related)

PBo
PBo Posts: 2,493
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
Been out a few times on my new road bike.

The last time I had a road bike, downtube shifters and suicide levers were the norm.

Basically, I haven't quite got the hang of braking whilst on the hoods. I wrap my index finger round the top of the brake lever, or press my thumb down on the top of the lever

I mean, I can brake - but I haven't got the confidence that if I need to slam on the anchors I can generate enough force.

Am i being silly, or am i just doing it wrong?!?!?

Comments

• Simple. Just rest your anotomical snuffbox (favourite medical term) over the hoods with your thumb down one side and your fingers can operate the lever. There's no as much mechanical advantage as there is in drops, but assuming your hands aren't too dainty, there's plenty of stopping power.
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    I can't quite understand your hand position and braking technique but it should be something like this;
    6284279789_3081516689.jpg

You can always pull the brakes when on the drops which will give more stopping power.

You can still get something like the old suicide levers but I can't remember what they're called. They use them more in cyclo-cross and intersect the cable near the stem rather than pull on the original lever like the old ones.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    They are called interrupter levers, easy to fit. I have them on my CX bike for when pootling with the nipper.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Could be your brakes aren't set-up as well as they could be. I've found that having more slack in the cable gives better leverage when braking on the hoods. Decent brake pads also make a huge difference.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Also keep your rims clean - <insert your own fnarr fnarr comment here>. From pers exp braking performance drops away substantially with use and is magically restored to awesome with a quick wash & wipe of rims + pads, either with a bucket of warm slightly soapy water or the generic bike cleaning fluids.
  • PBo
    Thanks everyone!
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    PBo wrote:
    Thanks everyone!

You get used to them, you'll find that your 23mm tyres will lock up way before you think you're not applying enough pressure. 8)

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • PBo
    Well been out more over the weekend and realised what I was doing wrong.
    ....forgot to redo the front brake quick release :oops:

Once I'd redone that a little bit of mtfu was required, above advice et voila! I now have the bike handling skills of Dennis menchov! Oh...... :?