Conditions on Stelvio?

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
I'm looking at doing this climb next week and it will be my first Alpine climb. Given the time of year I'm expecting the temperature in the valleys to be quite mild, but wondered what it was like up at the top?

I'm not sure what level of gear to pack and what I might expect. I'm guessing that the descent can get quite cold so proper gloves and a windproof/waterproof top are best?

Any help appreciated?

Comments

• bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    not sure why you say mild for the valleys - was in the Dolomites at the start of the month and it was easily 35 degs in the valleys!

Best advice is be prepared for anything when you get to these climbs. It could be absolutely miserably cold or still reasonably warm at the top. Some form of windproof lightweight jacket that stows in a pocket is an essential IMHO and maybe longer finger gloves and perhaps arm/knee warmers if the weather is looking like it might be on the cool side. If its a warm day you might be OK with just a gilet. You probably need to check the weather on the day and make sure you have enough in your case to cope with a range of conditions.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • 3Pears
    3Pears Posts: 174
    Hi Rodgers73,
    A few of us climbed the Stelvio twice in the week leading upto the Maratona. On both occasions it was very warm in Prato, the first climb of the beast we were going fine until we exited the Forest section and began climbing into the clouds, needless to say temperatures plummeted, wet roads, rain in the air etc :( The descent wasn't that enjoyable until we got back down to Trafoi, were roads were once again bone dry !
    A few days later, it was warm all the way up but as you near the top, there was a drop in temperature with the sheer height I guess. A light outer shell allowed for a comfortable descent :D
    Highly recommend the hotdogs on the top, the old boy nearest the wall overlooking the hairpins is my favourite stall and he's quite a character :lol:

Just pick your day wisely and enjoy the whole experience :P
  • rodgers73
    Nice! Do the wet conditions make for a risky descent or is the surface smooth?
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    rodgers73 wrote:

Mate, just go and ride it. You'll be fine.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    just keep eye on weather forecast :

http://www.myweather2.com/Hill-and-Moun ... elvio.aspx

as you`ll see temps are quite low at summit so take clothing as required :)
  • rodgers73
    jim453 wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:

Mate, just go and ride it. You'll be fine.

It's my first Alpine climb so I'm wary. And I was in the Scouts ;-)
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    The roads will be fine and in reasonable condition. As with all big European climbs take a good packable jacket as it will be cold at the top. The Stelvio is the 2nd highest pass in Europe and colder at the top than most. When I was there two years ago it was in September and around 20°C in the valley and 0°C at the top. There are a few cafes at the top to get something to eat and you'll alos want to hang around to soak up the veiw and atmosphere - smashing :D

As above keep an eye on the forecast but there is nothing to worry about - there was a lot of snow around when I was there but the roads were fine. Any snow will mostly be away now apart from a few patches on the mountain itself.

http://www.stelvio.net/english/webcam/
    Brian B.
  • rodgers73
    Roads had been resurfaced for the Giro and, despite a rain storm on my arrival in Bormio, it was blue skies and sunshine all day long. I needed the gilet and arm/leg warmers for the descents but otherwise it was enough to be in bibshorts and short sleeve jersey. Great day!.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Glad you had a great time. What a place for cycling eh?
    Brian B.
  • rodgers73
    An absolute cracker!