Sports items lack of evidence.

Thewaylander
Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18863293

I thought this article was interesting, especially on the area of sports drink and recovery items.

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    That's from the road section. What the hell would we go there for, apart from scoring steroids?
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    That's from the road section. What the hell would we go there for, apart from scoring steroids?
    :lol:
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594

Well made point LOL

thought i didnt recognise the posters lol.

Found it interesting as an article :) fellow mountain bikers
  • jakjtb
    jakjtb Posts: 111
    very interesting read, especially as i was going to be going buying some potein tomorrow for my heavy gym sessions. just gonna stick to water or fruit juice
    i find that if you just talk, your mouth comes out with stuff - Karl Pilkington
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    jakjtb wrote:
    very interesting read, especially as i was going to be going buying some potein tomorrow for my heavy gym sessions. just gonna stick to water or fruit juice
    What are you on about?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    jakjtb wrote:
    Sardines on brown toast - all you'll ever need.
  • jakjtb
    jakjtb wrote:
    What are you on about?

the artical at the top of the post was very interesting and has given me doubts about spending money on protein shakes.....how did you not get that?
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    jakjtb wrote:
    jakjtb wrote:
    What are you on about?

the artical at the top of the post was very interesting and has given me doubts about spending money on protein shakes.....how did you not get that?
    What doubts do you have?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    ?
    What reason do you have to believe the marketing hype?
  • jakjtb
    jakjtb wrote:
    jakjtb wrote:
    What are you on about?

What doubts do you have?

i dont know wether it is worth me spending money on protein shakes for post gym activities when i dont need it...not really willing to spend 25 quid on something i dont need.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    You don't need it. There's no reason to consume your nutrients as a drink - they're already in your food, so just make sure you eat a healthy diet.
    It's baffling how many people fall for the marketing hype.
  • jakjtb
    yeh thats pretty much what the personal trainer said to me. am avoiding stuff like that.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    jakjtb wrote:
    jakjtb wrote:
    jakjtb wrote:
    What are you on about?

What doubts do you have?

i dont know wether it is worth me spending money on protein shakes for post gym activities when i dont need it...not really willing to spend 25 quid on something i dont need.
    You're referring to weight lifting of some form I assume. If not let me know.

The programs claims were not about protein but about associated stuff like BCAA's making unsubstantiated claims, anyone with a reasonable interest in sport should know that protein is an essential building block for muscle fibre.

I worked out roughly earlier that 1 serving of myprotein impact whey - is cheaper and contains more protein than a pint of semi-skimmed milk from ASDA. If you really need it outside of typical diet, there are ways and there are price points.
  • jakjtb
    its not hardcore weight lifting but yeh essentially. trouble is you get so many different opinions that you dont know what to do.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    jakjtb wrote:
    its not hardcore weight lifting but yeh essentially. trouble is you get so many different opinions that you dont know what to do.
    RDA's of protein vary between lazy people, endurance sport and weightlifting disciplines but 1.5g per lean kg bodyweight probably isn't a bad place to start. Just multiply your weight by 1.5 and if needs be use programs like myfitnesspal to give you an idea of where the intake is,how much and where you could get more.
  • jakjtb
    jakjtb wrote:
    RDA's of protein vary between lazy people, endurance sport and weightlifting disciplines but 1.5g per lean kg bodyweight probably isn't a bad place to start. Just multiply your weight by 1.5 and if needs be use programs like myfitnesspal to give you an idea of where the intake is,how much and where you could get more.

lazy people?
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    jakjtb wrote:
    jakjtb wrote:

lazy people?

<the general population of people who are non sporty>
  • YeehaaMcgee
    jakjtb wrote:
    Even if you're a hardcore weightlifter, there's no need.
    My brother was an European championship weightlifter, and never bothered with any supplements. Just a healthy diet, and a fair bit of meat, and some eggs.
    Just normal food, basically.
  • jakjtb
    jakjtb wrote:
    My brother was an European championship weightlifter, and never bothered with any supplements. Just a healthy diet, and a fair bit of meat, and some eggs.

this is the kind of advice i have been waiting for. thanks man!
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    jakjtb wrote:
    And if normal food isn't practical?
  • jakjtb
    how can normal food not be practical?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    jakjtb wrote:
    +potato.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    jakjtb wrote:
    +potato.
    +pasta
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    jakjtb wrote:
    Supplement wrote:
    sup·ple·ment (spl-mnt)
    n.
    1. Something added to complete a thing, make up for a deficiency, or extend or strengthen the whole.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    jakjtb wrote:
    Supplement wrote:
    sup·ple·ment (spl-mnt)
    n.
    1. Something added to complete a thing, make up for a deficiency, or extend or strengthen the whole.
    I think what you mean is...
    "Sports supplement
    n.
    1.Total bollorks and fabrication by marketing departments.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    jakjtb wrote:
    Supplement wrote:
    sup·ple·ment (spl-mnt)
    n.
    I think what you mean is...
    "Sports supplement
    n.
    1.Total bollorks and fabrication by marketing departments.
    Oh go on, explain this one
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Have you not cottoned on to what this whole thread is about?
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Have you not cottoned on to what this whole thread is about?
    Have you?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    The lack of evidence to support sport foodstuffs. Your go. Unless you can offer up some comprehensive studies supporting them, then kindly F the F off.