New crankset new cassette old chain?

richardjiles
richardjiles Posts: 137
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
So i ordered a new crankset and a new cassette to solve some jumping, but aslong as my chain checker reads under .75 i should be good to put them together right?

Comments

• vanamees
    vanamees Posts: 75
    no.
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    The chain may well continue jumping and accelerate wear on the new components.

The chain is the cheapest of the three components, I would have bought a new chain first to see if that alleviated the jumping, then a cassette and finally a chainset.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I always change all three together. Just instead of using my chain checker I just wait until the gears start skipping too much.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    get a new chain, its not worth using the old one, esp if you're replacing cassette & cranks together.
  • konadawg
    konadawg Posts: 447
    Another "get a new chain" vote. Cheap, and saves you money too, so the cost is actually negative.
    Giant Reign X1
  • richardjiles
    richardjiles Posts: 137
    no guys, the current chain on there is actually new, I just used this new chain with a old crankset, and cassette
  • One 80
    One 80 Posts: 62
    So i ordered a new crankset and a new cassette to solve some jumping, but aslong as my chain checker reads under .75 i should be good to put them together right?

im confused sorry?

you ordered a new crank and cassette but you not using them?? or am i getting it wrong.
    Boardman comp 2012
  • jakjtb
    jakjtb Posts: 111
    One 80 wrote:

im confused sorry?

you ordered a new crank and cassette but you not using them?? or am i getting it wrong.

i assume he means he has the new crankset and cassette and is wondering whether to put the old chain on with the new stuff.....
    i find that if you just talk, your mouth comes out with stuff - Karl Pilkington
  • One 80
    One 80 Posts: 62
    no guys, the current chain on there is actually new, I just used this new chain with a old crankset, and cassette

says opposite here. im not having a go or being funny in any way but im just confussed. im getting old though
    Boardman comp 2012