understanding headsets

crispy1980
crispy1980 Posts: 310
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
im pretty sure my headset will need replacing on my specialized fsr xc pro. from reading the spec list it currently has :

1 1/8 threadless
loose ball bearing w/seals
black steel cups.

im looking around for a replacement but it seems a minefield, what should i be after? cheers, chris

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Any standard headset.

Have a look on Parktools for more info on headsets or the FAQs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    FSA Orbit XL II. Reasonable price if you shop around (normally on Ebay), light, well sealed, cartridge bearings that are replaceable, looks good.

Or just bang new bearings and some grease in yours.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • crispy1980
    excellent, ta very much. having done asearch on here im guessing its a job for lbs? i know i should really but i dont fancy spending loads on tools. as for just replacing the bearings, would this cure the play in the steerer as this is the problem at the minute? actually steering is still smooth
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Have you tried tightening the headset?
  • cooldad
    Probably just needs adjusting - have a look in the Parktools link in Nick's sig for how to, but basically loosen the stem bolts, tighten the topcap bolt until the play is gone but the steering still moves smoothly, then tighten up the stem bolts again.

Replacing is easy enough - I knock the cups out with a hammer and a screwdriver and knock new ones in with a hammer cushioned with a bit of plank, but if you get it wrong you can cause damage.

But if it's just your bearings being replaced just drop the forks, fill the cups with new balls and plenty of grease and put it all back together.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • crispy1980
    cheers guys, saved me a bit of cash. i have adjusted as you said and its cured the knocking/movement. err'ed on the side of cution with the tightening as well so still have some to go if it starts knocking again.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    er, that's not the way to do it!!
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    cooldad wrote:
    FSA Orbit XL II. Reasonable price if you shop around (normally on Ebay), light, well sealed, cartridge bearings that are replaceable, looks good.

Or just bang new bearings and some grease in yours.

+1
    I've had one about 5 years now. Greased is once when I changed forks but don't think it needed it. Bargain.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130