The Northern Ireland Thread. *Warning* May include cake

t.m.h.n.e.t
t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
edited April 2017 in The cake stop
A home for those of us over the pond, residing on the emerald isle. Bout ye? Wha's the craic lawd? And all of that :lol:

I'll start: My name is Chris,and I am an alcoholic.

Handy Links

Cycling Ireland

Cycle NI

Club Information

Triathlon Ireland

Highway Code

Sportive Calendar Road Race Calendar Leisure Calendar

Irish Veteran Cyclist Association

Bike Radar NI Members List

Bike Radar NI Member Map

Misc-Forums-News Sites

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I'm Murphy O'Toole.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    I'm Murphy O'Toole.
    Ahh the O'Tooles. Don't they live in Paddy Doherty's campsite?
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    I'm grand, so I am.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Back in a minit, i'm off to 'turn my bike around'.
    You lot haven't a clue. Big Eccles cake for anyone except TMHNET who can translate that one. Have a guess...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Hows yer marrn? :D
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • magoo289
    magoo289 Posts: 223
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Anyone fancy a nice cup o'tay. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Wind yer neck in!

Any of you guys ride with local clubs?

Keep'er between the hedges bai's!
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • Vino2007
    Vino2007 Posts: 340
    Up the NDCC
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    No club but considered Kings Moss or Kilbride.. I want a club with matching kit (red and black) but the closest is NDCC and even they are a bit far away to ride with regularly.

Could always be a boss and start my own :lol:
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Back in a minit, i'm off to 'turn my bike around'.
    You lot haven't a clue. Big Eccles cake for anyone except TMHNET who can translate that one. Have a guess...
    Not fair! I know what it means too :roll:
  • dw300
    No club but considered Kings Moss or Kilbride.. I want a club with matching kit (red and black) but the closest is NDCC and even they are a bit far away to ride with regularly.

Isn't Madigan (or something like that) a red and black kit, and up North somewhere?

I thought about starting my own club, Id only allow riders in that were less fit than I am though. However I only want to organise rides, not all the other red tape involved.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    dw300 wrote:

Isn't Madigan (or something like that) a red and black kit, and up North somewhere?

I thought about starting my own club, Id only allow riders in that were less fit than I am though. However I only want to organise rides, not all the other red tape involved.
    Totally forgot about them :mrgreen: Unsure though.

Example: Kings Moss meet up in Ballyclare Square - Kilbride Meet at the church of the same - Madigans meet at the shop.

That's great if I want to ride 12-18miles before a ride and the same home after. They're close but not exactly on the doorstep, makes a local club sound more appealing.
  • dw300

Example: Kings Moss meet up in Ballyclare Square - Kilbride Meet at the church of the same - Madigans meet at the shop.

That's great if I want to ride 12-18miles before a ride and the same home after. They're close but not exactly on the doorstep, makes a local club sound more appealing.

If you're in Larne you'll be climbing to meeting points wherever you would be going to as well.

I have about 6-7 miles of riding with a couple of climbs to get to the NDCC start points. I'm not far off being able to do that on the start and end of a ride, but I'll need to give it a while longer before I'm confident that I can manage it.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    dw300 wrote:

If you're in Larne you'll be climbing to meeting points wherever you would be going to as well.

I have about 6-7 miles of riding with a couple of climbs to get to the NDCC start points. I'm not far off being able to do that on the start and end of a ride, but I'll need to give it a while longer before I'm confident that I can manage it.

Not if the meeting point was in Larne :lol:
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Shouldn't this be the "Nor'n Ir'n Thread"?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Bit suprised there's no club in Larne.

Setting up a club isn't an outlandish suggestion, clubs have been formed in Dunloy, Ballycastle and Cushendall in the past year.

Each was set up as loose Facebook group to start with then when the had a core of riders they made the next step of affiliation to Cycling Ulster.

I would have thought that Larne could easily sustain a club and you have easy access to some great cycling routes.

http://cyclingulster.com/?p=7718

http://cyclingulster.com/?p=6975

http://ballycastlecyclingclub.webs.com/

http://en-gb.facebook.com/dunloy.cyclingclub

Marian Lamb at Cycling Ulster would be the first point of contact to guide you through the process of setting up a club and keep you right.

I'm sure the guys at Ballycastle would be delighted to help. Don't want to post contact names etc but you'll get them through the club website
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Are you from this fine isle TWH?

I have to admit I'm giving this serious thought. Had a good read of This yesterday. It seems rather easy :shock:

£89 and 6 CU members on named committee, is doable just from my small group of cycling friends.

hmmmm Link Would Chaine Cycle Club be too obvious? :D

I also happen to have a meeting venue (pub) and perhaps a sponsor lined up. Nothing official at this point.

How to guage interest? Geopraphically Larne is very well placed to offer a variety of routes for road riding and of course MTB's. From a central place (Ballygally for example) there is easy access to hills over the glens - coastal flat and mixed riding in quantity that no ride would need to be the same.

I think it may have selling points?
  • dw300
    Go for it.

There are enough non affiliated cyclist in NI that if everyone like you set up a club no matter how small, that eventually it might significantly swell the number of club members in the country by converting the unaffiliated ones.

You never know where it might take the sport here.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    dw300 wrote:
    Go for it.

There are enough non affiliated cyclist in NI that if everyone like you set up a club no matter how small, that eventually it might significantly swell the number of club members in the country by converting the unaffiliated ones.

You never know where it might take the sport here.
    There is still plenty of scope to build clubs here and cycling is only going to get bigger. I definitely need to have a chat with my little group and see what we can come up with. I'm quite happy to take chair though :lol: have taken committee spots in the past in other sports clubs.

Very very serious consideration.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Pretty sure this is worth £10 http://www.freewheelersdsd.btck.co.uk/
  • dw300
    Yeh, i think one of the organisers has been round the local clubs' Facebook pages promoting that. Is it the same route as LtL?
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    dw300 wrote:
    Yeh, i think one of the organisers has been round the local clubs' Facebook pages promoting that. Is it the same route as LtL?
    Different startt point but yeah
  • pedrojake
    pedrojake Posts: 229
    Hello all,

The freewheelers run is much better than the ‘official’ lap the lough, our club did it last year and it was a well run event, although weather was crap. About 200, made up of a lot of club cyclists rather than the 1000+ that attend the bigger run, which on roads out the likes of Ballyronan is crazy busy – think there were a few bad accidents last year.

TMHNET, not sure if you should be judging a club by its kit colours (!), but yeah you’ve got Audi (East Antrim), Kilbride and Madigans – all look the same to me though. Kilbride, by the way, meet up much earlier than Kings Moss on a Sunday, about 8 I think. Someone told me it was something to do with their church association although don’t take that as gospel. (Gospel, geddit?)

Get yourself over to Ballyclare on a Sunday for a bash at our club run at 10 some week, (or 9 if you fancy heading out with the fast bunch…); fair few are Ballyclare based riders but also ones from further afield who throw the bikes in the car and drive over when feeling lazy. Don’t be put off by the fact we have a much better looking different coloured kit than the rest . We've a few decent regular cake stops and were not as serious as the Madigans bunch……
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    edited July 2012
    PedroJake wrote:
    TMHNET, not sure if you should be judging a club by its kit colours (!), but yeah you’ve got Audi (East Antrim), Kilbride and Madigans – all look the same to me though. Kilbride, by the way, meet up much earlier than Kings Moss on a Sunday, about 8 I think. Someone told me it was something to do with their church association although don’t take that as gospel. (Gospel, geddit?)
    I don't mean anything nasty towards the clubs by it :) If I was to ride with a club I'd want to buy the kit and wear the name. But honestly the kit designs of some aren't great. I've always saw East Antrim and Madigans as race clubs - Kilbride ( I know a few of them) leisure and Kings Moss seem like all-rounders.
    Get yourself over to Ballyclare on a Sunday for a bash at our club run at 10 some week, (or 9 if you fancy heading out with the fast bunch…); fair few are Ballyclare based riders but also ones from further afield who throw the bikes in the car and drive over when feeling lazy. Don’t be put off by the fact we have a much better looking different coloured kit than the rest . We've a few decent regular cake stops and were not as serious as the Madigans bunch……
    I assume you're talking about Kings Moss? Crikey it's very Blue :D
  • dw300
    PedroJake wrote:
    Hello all,

The freewheelers run is much better than the ‘official’ lap the lough, our club did it last year and it was a well run event, although weather was crap. About 200, made up of a lot of club cyclists rather than the 1000+ that attend the bigger run, which on roads out the likes of Ballyronan is crazy busy – think there were a few bad accidents last year.

Is there a food stop on the Freewheelers run?

LtL was cr*p last year. No hot food half way, no food left at the end, no gels as the people who got to the stops first musta taken 5 each, sometimes no water!

There were obviously a ton of people who rode it but either started an hour early or didn't ride the whole route, because I was overtaking fat guys on mountain bikes with 15psi tyres most of the way round, and I didn't hang around.

The coffee and cakes at the start were the highlight.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • pedrojake
    pedrojake Posts: 229
    Yep DW, there was a rest stop on the freewheelers at the halfway. Tea, coffee, sandwiches bananas, energy drinks etc, not sure about gels, plenty of water. It's a good run and none of the blokes or birds twaddling along at 8 mph on mountain bikes.

TMHNET, it sure is blue, although a vast improvement on our old one! Our guys stick out in races & sportives tho.
    Yeah, Mossmen pretty much an all round club, few regular racers, but mainly social, particularly on a Sunday club run where everyone gets together for the craic as well as the cakes
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    PedroJake wrote:
    Yep DW, there was a rest stop on the freewheelers at the halfway. Tea, coffee, sandwiches bananas, energy drinks etc, not sure about gels, plenty of water. It's a good run and none of the blokes or birds twaddling along at 8 mph on mountain bikes.

TMHNET, it sure is blue, although a vast improvement on our old one! Our guys stick out in races & sportives tho.
    Yeah, Mossmen pretty much an all round club, few regular racers, but mainly social, particularly on a Sunday club run where everyone gets together for the craic as well as the cakes
    I was invited to ride with you guys after talking to a member at the sportive. Maybe I'll take that up someday :)

I didn't get his name but he made sure me and my mate got our goodie bags :lol:
  • garrynolan
    garrynolan Posts: 560
    'Bout ye?

Stickin' out!

How's yer belly for spots?

His heads full of sweetie mice and slammin' doors...

Spotty dog...

Anyways... any blow-ins down here (or even natives) do a bit of cycling? I'm in the west of the city but you know it's easy to get around by bike.
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png