Upgrade advise for womens MTB full suspension

Fleur333
Fleur333 Posts: 8
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Started to get into MB at the start of the year using my old Trek ( 830 Single track)
Have mainly been to Swinley Forrest in Bracknell, and now am finding my confidence growing, but my bike is very twitchy when dry, and throws me around , gears arent resposive enough, breaks arent brilliant, but I get by!
I have had a go on some mens mountain bikes with full suspension, disc breaks, and really saw the difference, and now saving up for my own, but unsure of what make and model, I will have a maximum of probably £1,300 to hopefully spend on new, or try and find a good second hand bike in medium frame, and save some pennys. Any suggestions and advice gratefully received.

Comments

• Bishbosh10
    Bishbosh10 Posts: 268
    Try as many as you can as you will probably find that you don't need a women's specific bike.

At that price I would look at a Boardman for full sus or one of last year's models from Paul's Cycles.
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • Jimx26
    Jimx26 Posts: 147
    Slightly over budget but the spec will be hard to beat for the money.

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes ... tml?b=2557
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Fleur333
    Ah, thanks for the info, I have seen this bike advertised second hand, is this a good buy , and would it get me through Afan?

Specialized Camber Comp Full Suspension Mountain Bike
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Easily, but be careful of second hand unless you know what you're looking for. A fork and shock service alone can cost a few hundred.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Any half way decent hardtail or full susser would get you round afan - the Camber would get you round the alps too. But as Cooldad says second hand presents the risk of repairs and maintenance after the initial outlay which a new bike does not.

I am not certain but I thought this years Camber Comp was only 1500 quid so depending what you are being offered that bike for it may be a tad overpriced. In fact a quick look at the Evans website and it seems the Camber Comp is reduced to 1300 at the moment so there you go!

The womens specific thing is a difficult one - they tend to be designed with lower standover, shorter top tubes and other features which are supposed to suit a womens geometry - my friend rides a Giant Trance womens model and I am hard pressed to see the difference to the same model in mens other than the paint job.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Fleur333
    Ah great thank you so much for your replys. Yes bid on a speclized Camber on ebay but got out bit. My friend has just offered to lend me his old Scott MC20, untill I find my next bike, so I can go to Evans, etc and try some of the suggestions you mentioned, as my bike is litterally on it's way out, as it's not built for what I'm using it for now.
    I've just tried an orange 5, a Trek Remedy, but these are a little advanced and too highly priced, but they were soo responsive on every level, although the Orange was way too heavy for me! So looking forward to my next bike. Thanks very much.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I started out riding at Swinley on my old Raleigh Silverback - rigid, v brakes probably much like your trek.

The change to a hardtail was a godsend - slightly slacker angles, the ability to push the front end into the dirt to aid cornering traction, makes all the difference. Full suspension adds other benefits again although personally I wouldnt have missed out on the hardtail stage of my progression on mountain bikes (although sadly its in England and I am in BC and I miss it).

As for buying the new bike - I only posted Evans for the camber as they have a good website - I'd go to your local stores (ideally with a knowledgeable friend) to check out a range of bikes - Evans is not neccessarily the best place to buy!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Fleur333
    Just looked up where you are, and looks spectacular countryside, do they have trails over there?
    Yep, brakes really dont work,especially in all the wet weather we are having the last couple of months. Swinley is great, I love it there, cant wait to try new places further afield though once I get a better bike sorted, and a better saddle lol.
  • cooldad
    Have a look in London Calling in Rides.
    We ride Swinley a lot, plus local places like Surrey Hills, Tunnel Hill and Caesars Camp, as well as trips to Wales etc.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Fleur333
  • My two suggestions of the daaaaayy.

Both Kona’s. I see a lot of women on Kona’s so maybe they are good for the ladies. (CoolDad rides one for example).

Kona Lisa (womans specific) 120mm XC full sus.
    Reduced from £1800 to £825.
    18” Medium only.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=75105

Kona Cadabra 100mm/160mm XC full sus.
    Reduced from £2500 to £1359
    All sizes available, from very little people to lanky.
    Really good spec for the £ on this one.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=64996

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • Fleur333
    Hi, arh, ok, I've borrowed a Scott MC20 for a while, which is brilliant.
    I've joined London Calling on Facebook, I've just started trail riding this year, so not sure how good I should be to meet up with people from the group. Thinking about going down Saturday about 10.00 ish, how does it work?
  • cooldad
    Both Kona’s. I see a lot of women on Kona’s so maybe they are good for the ladies. (CoolDad rides one for example).
    Did the glitter give me away?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Fleur333 wrote:
    Hi, arh, ok, I've borrowed a Scott MC20 for a while, which is brilliant.
    I've joined London Calling on Facebook, I've just started trail riding this year, so not sure how good I should be to meet up with people from the group. Thinking about going down Saturday about 10.00 ish, how does it work?
    There is a ride more or less arranged for Saturday at 10. Don't worry about how good you need to be. We go at whatever pace we need to, it's just for fun.
    Just meet up at the gate next to Go Ape under the trees.
    I'll be on a Kona covered in glitter (not actually, really) you'll be easy to spot being a lady, which is quite rare.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    The canyon is probably the lightest and best specced new bike around the £1300 mark. Just be aware that in rawberry finish the frame is raw-bare metal and not white as many assume from the picture.