chain ring question confused

sigorman85
sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
im running 44 x 32 x 22 i would like to fit a bash guard but i understand that to run a guard i would have to remove the big ring but i dont want to sacrafice speed at the moment im toping out at 27mph so what would be the best set up for a bashguard i would still like to keep the speed if pos? or have i got it all wrong?
When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you can fit one but it will cost you about 60 Quid.

blackspire big ring.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Why do you need a bash?
  • sigorman85
    erm because i bashed the rings on a few rocks the other day but it didnt bend or break the teeth but might not be so lucky next time
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You could get quite a few new rings for that price.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You don't need a 44t ring to top 27mph, I did that on a 32t regularily, although I have now gone to a 36t middle ring with bash.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sigorman85
    your legs must have been going at a rappid rate of knots to get that speed

• sparky.2002
    sparky.2002 Posts: 118
    Next time your out, try and see what speed you can get with your 32t ring. Then decide whether to remove big ring and fit bash. I'm running 1x9 with a 36t. Love it.
  • snowrider
    snowrider Posts: 31
    MRP XCG Triple Chain Device is what I run. Works great and not rotating mass.
    Was cheapest at Winstanelys when I bought mine. £30 job done.
  • sigorman85
    Might have a look at that. Just had a look at my front mech and it can't be moved up higher as its fixed on to the pivet so that's that out the question my camber comp 2011 isn't so good now that I want to change a few bits :-(

• sigorman85
    What one would I need for a specialized camber comp 2011
    In not sue what iscg is or what ever it is an a bb mounted one must just sit behind the bb? Or wrong?

• sigorman85
    http://www.bikes.org.uk/specialized-cam ... tain-bike/
    Here's the specs if it helps but I couldn't find any think

• cooldad
    Why on earth would you need a chain device? You started out wanting a bash. They are totally different things.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    E
    sigorman85 wrote:
    Might have a look at that. Just had a look at my front mech and it can't be moved up higher as its fixed on to the pivet so that's that out the question my camber comp 2011 isn't so good now that I want to change a few bits :-(

My Spesh Pitch has a fixed (e type) front mech and it's just a straight swap to from a 32t to a 36R.E.M. You just have to reset the limit screw to stop it I've shifting.

And IMO unless you're riding nothing but fire roads you need nothing bigger than a 36t chain ring.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • snowrider
    cooldad wrote:
    Why on earth would you need a chain device? You started out wanting a bash. They are totally different things.
    Although it says chain device in the name it is really a fixed bash guard, it doesn't have any guide rollers or anything but it does have a plate to stop the chain dropping inside the granny ring
    Check http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=31508 to see what it looks like.
  • snowrider
    sigorman85 wrote:
    In not sue what iscg is or what ever it is an a bb mounted one must just sit behind the bb? Or wrong?
    I don't think you have ISCG tabs so you would be looking at a BB mount one. Have a look at your bottom bracket and see if there is a spacer between the drive side and the frame. If so you take the spacer out and put the XCG in its place. 5 minute job if you have the required tools.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    snowrider wrote:
    sigorman85 wrote:
    I don't think you have ISCG tabs so you would be looking at a BB mount one. Have a look at your bottom bracket and see if there is a spacer between the drive side and the frame. If so you take the spacer out and put the XCG in its place. 5 minute job if you have the required tools.
    he would need a new E type BB. as the cranks are Octalink.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    snowrider wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Although it says chain device in the name it is really a fixed bash guard, it doesn't have any guide rollers or anything but it does have a plate to stop the chain dropping inside the granny ring
    Check http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=31508 to see what it looks like.
    Got it now. Still seems like a lot of faffing to me.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • sigorman85
    I'm willing to give it a go yep got the tools

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    You don't need a 44t ring to top 27mph, I did that on a 32t regularily,
    sigorman85 wrote:
    your legs must have been going at a rappid rate of knots to get that speed
    32T chainring, 11Tooth cassette, standard wheel - you'd need to pedal at roughly 120rpm to get to 27mph.
    Perfectly doable - but probably not great for long distances. I can't see you cruising very far at that speed.
  • sigorman85
    Na I'll just get the bash guard chain ring thing that mrP make