paypal?

team47b
team47b Posts: 6,425
edited July 2012 in The cake stop
I must be the only person who has never opened a paypal account, so I am a bit clueless here!

I can't get the answer to my question from their site and I can't contact them unless I already have an account, catch 22!

Simple question, If I pay at paypal checkout online, fine no probs, but the company I want to deal with (in germany) send an email invoice detailing your online order to be able to quote postal costs and stock availability, how do I then pay this email invoice using paypal?

I tried asking the German company but they write to me in a strange version of English which makes no sense.

It's probably a really dumb question, so feel free to take the pi55 :D
my isetta is a 300cc bike

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    unless the company have an account with PP - you can't.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    team47b wrote:
    I must be the only person who has never opened a paypal account, so I am a bit clueless here!

I can't get the answer to my question from their site and I can't contact them unless I already have an account, catch 22!

Simple question, If I pay at paypal checkout online, fine no probs, but the company I want to deal with (in germany) send an email invoice detailing your online order to be able to quote postal costs and stock availability, how do I then pay this email invoice using paypal?

I tried asking the German company but they write to me in a strange version of English which makes no sense.

It's probably a really dumb question, so feel free to take the pi55 :D

You are not alone Sir! Until two days ago, I'd never even been on eBay :shock: Though I did manage to buy something from Prendas' eBay store without needed to register or needing a paypal account. :D
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,952
    Show us what the company sent you. It might make more sense to someone who has used paypal regularly.

The older I get, the better I was.

• joenobody
    joenobody Posts: 563
    Don't you just need an email address to send the payment to? Make sure the order number is in the details of the payment and you should be good to go.
  • team47b
    The company sent a pdf of an invoice the only details other than the items I ordered are their addresses etc and...

Volksbank Ascheberg eG BLZ 40069601 - Kto. 26824201

The first bit is their bank account number, don't know what the Kto number is,

BIC: BIC GENO DE M1 CAN IBAN: IBAN DE63400696 010026824201

I have used direct transfer using their BIC and Swift numbers to pay this invoice, but want to pay the next one by setting up a paypal account. They have stated that they accept paypal payments.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Then you need the email they use for pp
  • team47b
    JoeNobody wrote:
    Don't you just need an email address to send the payment to? Make sure the order number is in the details of the payment and you should be good to go.

Remember that I have not yet set up a PP account so don't yet know how to make any kind of payment.

Are you saying that once I have set up a PP account I go to PP web site, log on etc and will then see a payment form which I fill out with the company email address and my order/invoice number? Any other info needed to make a payment?
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,952
    PayPal is good because of the protection. If the company don't send or send you faulty stuff, you can easily (was for me) get your money back.

The older I get, the better I was.

• t.m.h.n.e.t
    team47b wrote:
    JoeNobody wrote:

Remember that I have not yet set up a PP account so don't yet know how to make any kind of payment.

Are you saying that once I have set up a PP account I go to PP web site, log on etc and will then see a payment form which I fill out with the company email address and my order/invoice number? Any other info needed to make a payment?
    If you create your own account you can add credit/debit card and bank details to that.

Then you click the "Send Money" tab and you fill in all the details, but you need the exact email address the company uses for paypal

As you complete the process you can select which card/account the payment is to be from
  • team47b
    @ TMHNET

Thanks that's really helped, it was the bit about the exact email address I wasn't sure about. I will email them for this. :D
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    team47b wrote:
    @ TMHNET

Thanks that's really helped, it was the bit about the exact email address I wasn't sure about. I will email them for this. :D
    As TMHNET has said, PayPal uses your email address like a bank uses an account number. You can "send money" to anyone with a PayPal account by simply entering the email address that the recipient uses on PayPal.

When you do it will say is this for Goods or a Personal Gift, if you select Gift then there are no PayPal costs (as long as you aren't using a credit card to fund your PayPal account). If you say this is to pay for goods/services then PayPal will charge a fee, you (the sender) can select if you will pay the fee or if they will. Obviously if there is a dispute and you want your money back, you don't have a hope if it was a gift.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Yeah I could send you £100 (not really :) ) but you'd need to make an account to accept it - then add a bank account to verify then withdraw the monies.

There is one rule though. NEVER SEND MONEY AS A GIFT WHEN BUYING AN ITEM

If you do this and then not receive the item,you have absolutely no hope of paypal even thinking of getting your money back.
  • team47b
    Thanks for that :D

I see a whole new world is opening up before my very eyes, it's a wonder, next you'll be telling me that they have invented mains electricity and spoons.

Now that I am aux fait with the Paypal, anyone want to take te pi55 anyway?
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    team47b wrote:

I see a whole new world is opening up before my very eyes, it's a wonder, next you'll be telling me that they have invented mains electricity and spoons.
    It's amazing what they've achieved in such a short space of time.
    1341935117606s.jpg
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    23366463.jpg
  • team47b
    You have seen through my plan...Germany today, tomorrow the world - insert your own maniacal laugh here. :D
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Paypal me £100,000000000 as a gift and I will plegde silence
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Kto is short for Konto which is German for Account.

It's quite normal in Switzerland (and I guess in Germany) to make a payment to the Bank and then assign it to an account. The paying in slips allow for that. When I do electronic banking, then I would put (from your example) 40069601 and the amount in the boxes. It automatically fills in the bank name Volksbank Ascheberg eG and then I am asked to fill in the details of the benficiary where I would put 26824201 and the name and address of the company.

But you don't need to worry about that, you just need the International Bank Account Number (IBAN) - DE63400696 010026824201 (you see that the last 8 digits are the beneficiary account number and the 6 digits before that are the same as the bank ID number (same as the sort code in the UK). The BIC/SWIFT code is like an international sort code to allow international transactions to be completed faster.

Hope that helps!
  • team47b
    @schweiz

Thank you, it always helps when you know what the initials mean. Good explanation.

Should have guessed kto is Konto, in Portuguese it is conta.

It seems an easy way to pay, only problem is it takes up to five days to clear and we expect 'instant' payments these days, a 'foreign' cheque paid into a Portuguese bank takes 30 working days to clear! Must learn patience, must remember the banks have to hold onto our money as long as possible, poor things!
  • Gizmodo
    team47b wrote:

Electricity in Portugal? Nah.
  • team47b
    Gizmodo wrote:
    team47b wrote:

Electricity in Portugal? Nah.

I have a solar powered house so not sure about mains electricity, bit alternative for me, I don't think it will catch on, probably work in a cloudy place though :D
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    we cant see the clouds cos of the b@st@rding rain :twisted:
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Gizmodo
    The UK government have given up on subsidies for solar panels, they're now looking at providing a water wheel for each house instead!