What's a fast time for the full black run at Llandegla?

ClimbBoy
ClimbBoy Posts: 105
edited July 2012 in Routes
Hi

Just wondered what would be a quick time for doing the black run from start to finish?

Thanks,

James

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    not sure about a fast time. i did it in around 1hr 40 mins last week and i'm pretty slow tbh...so if you use that as an average time you may be able to take a guess :D
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    I have managed it in about 70 minutes.

I have heard it's possible to go under the hour :shock:

The Black Run is only about 13 miles (so says the web site), and provdied you're fit enough Llandegla can be ridden fast as it's not particularly hilly or technical.
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    52 mins is the fastest time recorded on mbnw wave for a full black run. A number of changes have been made since then but I dont think it is any longer in distance.
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    I did it in 1:19 a few months ago but that was with JJs blocked off so maybe 3 mins longer for the full run.

As Clive said there have been a few changes recently, not sure how it will affect it though as a lot of the route including the red sections have been relayed and are smoother making it significantly faster in areas.
  • dan shard wrote:
    I did it in 1:19 a few months ago but that was with JJs blocked off so maybe 3 mins longer for the full run.

You reckon you can do JJs and back up in 3 minutes? That's some going, I'd always assumed that added almost 10 minutes on, maybe not.

Anyway, what's the consensus now that they've added in the new stuff to the end?
  • Fastest time at present on Strava for the full black (without JJ's jumps) is 59:32

But only one person has posted that time the rest are over an hour including Neil Donoghue at 1hr:03mins, so the guy who says he can do it in 70 mins should get out and race as you'll be pretty good.
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    Takes me about 3 hours! But then I do walk up all the hills and p1ss around on all the jumps. I need to get a hardtail and actually ride some trail centers as they should be ridden.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    shm_uk wrote:

The Black Run is only about 13 miles (so says the web site), and provdied you're fit enough Llandegla can be ridden fast as it's not particularly hilly or technical.

you having a laugh ......

There s a hill from the car park that goes on for over a mile then another 5 back breaking climbs after that and if your doing the full black with parallel universe id say it is pretty technical , a few rock gardens lots of table tops etc

I do the the black with parellel universe on average around the 1 hr 25 min mark and thats not hanging about anyone that does it around the hour mark needs to give the olympic selectors a ring methinks........
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • tarbot18 wrote:
    shm_uk wrote:

There s a hill from the car park that goes on for over a mile then another 5 back breaking climbs after that and if your doing the full black with parallel universe id say it is pretty technical , a few rock gardens lots of table tops etc

I do the the black with parellel universe on average around the 1 hr 25 min mark and thats not hanging about anyone that does it around the hour mark needs to give the olympic selectors a ring methinks........

Llandegla climbing is flat compared to the likes of Whinlatter, Cwmcarn, Afan, Glenress etc etc. The climb out the carpark is nothing.. Long, but not exacltly steep or technical or challenging in any way what so ever..

From what i remember, there is 1 switchback climb somewhere mid I and that's about it.
  • welshkev
    i agree with NM^^^^

nothing really technical at all. it's all smoothed out and easy to ride.
  • Majski
    I have ridden the climb out of the car park top to bottom without stopping on a 9inch travel Stab. So it can't be that hard. Also one 'rock garden' (that is actually just a few steps) doesn't make Llandegla technical. Tech is the last way i'd describe Llandegla! Fun though.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Majski wrote:
    Takes me about 3 hours! But then I do walk up all the hills and p1ss around on all the jumps. I need to get a hardtail and actually ride some trail centers as they should be ridden.

You are riding them as they should be ridden, doing a jump once is not the way forward, stop, session, move on is the way to go..

3hrs is a fast time!
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • mintedox
    mintedox Posts: 273
    Just looked at my tracker and it was just under 2 hours for me, did the jumps a few times though.

54.4mph top speed :?
    Papa? Nicole
  • Majski
    That sounds a little exessive even for Llandegla's smoothness? Any idea where your top speed was because that sounds mental
  • mintedox
    mintedox Posts: 273
    I don't believe it, the computer on my bike has 41 as the fastest and I was peddling like mad for that.

Looks good though :D
    Papa? Nicole
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Even 41 is ridiculously quick off road.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 wrote:
    shm_uk wrote:

Llandegla climbing is flat compared to the likes of Whinlatter, Cwmcarn, Afan, Glenress etc etc. The climb out the carpark is nothing.. Long, but not exacltly steep or technical or challenging in any way what so ever..

From what i remember, there is 1 switchback climb somewhere mid I and that's about it.

I think you may be getting confused with the wirral way .......

There are 9 / 10 climbs worthy of the name at llandegla dunno where you got the 1 from !! How can you comment on somewhere you havent been in a long time or remember ......

Ive only been to a few trail centres , marin trail penmachno and llandegla so i havent anything else to compare to but i do think if you find llandegla "easy" then your not trying hard enough, nowhere should be easy unless you have your liitleun on the back in the child seat and your trundling around the coast.

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

• welshkev
    tarbot18 wrote:
    [quote

Ive only been to a few trail centres , marin trail penmachno and llandegla so i havent anything else to compare to but i do think if you find llandegla "easy" then your not trying hard enough, nowhere should be easy unless you have your liitleun on the back in the child seat and your trundling around the coast.

what a load of balls - like you say you don't have much to compare it to...it is easy :roll:
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Llandegla is easy, I'm a terrible climber and I have no trouble there whatsoever. It's a family friendly trail centre. The proper riding is to be had outside of Trail Centres in my opinion anyway. Trail Centres are just places that offer a controlled environment, a cafe on hand, usually pretty resistant to bad weather, and for that they're great.

But it's not a challenge for an experienced cyclist, anyone that finds Llandegla a challenge wants to try 'off piste' in the hills.
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    tarbot18 wrote:
    Ive only been to a few trail centres , marin trail penmachno and llandegla so i havent anything else to compare to .

Do you need to say anything more :D
  • tarbot18 wrote:
    tarbot18 wrote:
    shm_uk wrote:

I think you may be getting confused with the wirral way .......

There are 9 / 10 climbs worthy of the name at llandegla dunno where you got the 1 from !! How can you comment on somewhere you havent been in a long time or remember ......

Take a trip to Whinlatter or pop down to Cwmcarn... you'll be in for a shock!
    Llandegla is fun and fast, but not the most challenging.
  • tarbot18
    one of the guys is organising a trip to glentress and maybe coed y brenin in a few weeks, im getting worried now !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

• welshkev
    tarbot18 wrote:
    one of the guys is organising a trip to glentress and maybe coed y brenin in a few weeks, im getting worried now !

don't get worried, but you will see a difference :lol: just ride at your own pace and most stuff at trail centres is rollable, it's just more fun the faster you go 8) what you will find is that the climbs are tougher
  • Anyone done the beast at brenin with the current diversion beyond Beefy with a GPS? I'd love to know how long it currently is. The man in the bike shop said it was only quarter of a mile shorter but i'mnot convinced. Managed the route in around 2:32 so quite chuffed.
  • Majski
    tarbot18 wrote:
    if you find llandegla "easy" then your not trying hard enough

no dude, llandegla's easy. You're just not trying hard stuff!

EDIT: the climbs at coed y aren't awful either. Definately harder than Llandegla but not ridiculous. The longest one has a cafe 1/2 way up so it's all good!