Volcano Live

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,348
edited July 2012 in The bottom bracket
As a professional geologist I would like to personally, effusively ( :wink: ) and humbly apologise for the utter utter shite that was Volcano Live with Kate Humble! I have never been so ashamed of my career choice.

Please be assured the the reality is so much more interesting than that!
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    These "Live" programes never work for me. This one got turned off the second time volcanologists were described as "Volcano scientists". :x
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Was going watch it, but a short sharp "No f*cking way, I've just sat through three hours of the Tour, I'm not watching this sh*te !" from Mrs C.

Sounds like I dodged a bullet.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • solosuperia
    solosuperia Posts: 333
    First I must put my cards on the table....... I think Kate Crumble is one of the worst presenters on TV!
    There I've said it. She does the Tony Blair thing "Over.....There .....Is ..... Lava". annoying gaps between words,I guess she thinks it gives them gravitas.

TV "personalities" are pants at fronting nature/scientific, indeed any documentary. It ends up about them not the subject. Use an expert in the field to present the subject, they enthuse with sincerity rather than look at me!

Another one I can't stand is Baldrick, can't remember his real name(don't care). As Baldrick brilliant, as a presenter on "Time Team" or such..... It is not about you.

Sorry about that rant, but do feel strongly on the subject.

I must add the lads down the Pub reckon what Kate Crumble needs is a good.............................?
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Ah yes Time Team, no matter how much I love archaeology I cannot sit there and watch that show! It just feels so hollow, without soul.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    I saw snippets of the volcano thing. It appeared to be kate and another walking around in front of some smoke, and a bloke explaining something with a pineapple. It looked like a "Mount St Helens" was not going to happen.

Time Team lost all credibility for me in one episode years ago.
    They were surveying a field, and "over there was the sight of an ancient settlement perhaps, because there was a mark of a burning which still coloured the soil" *. That was, until, a local turned up and told them that it was from a fire where they burnt a tree when he was kid about 50 years back. Without this chap they would have a had an artists representation (otherwise known as a "drawing") and some Neanderthals face made out of clay

*(you have to imagine a strong Cornish accent for that bit, one which with every passing year sounds more like a cross between a pirate and a trawler man than an academic)

The older I get, the better I was.

• t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Ms Humble spent too much time whispering around lions FFS. Although watching a volcano is about as interesting as she is.

Thank the lord for 3 other channels. Oh wait..... Jamie Oliver was on too. All the cvnts of TV were on display last night
  • ethanhayes
    ethanhayes Posts: 112
    It wouldn't be that shit if it wasn't for humble.
    Why is she always wrapped up like its the middle of winter? She was wearing a rain coat,fleece and scarf yesterday. I looked up the weather because It amused me that she was wrapped up like a highly irritating turd in toilet roll and the male presenter (who's name I do not remember) was wearing one of them typical geologist shirts and it was 25c in her location.

She is one of the worst presenters on television. She would be far more at home on loose women.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    They should chuck her in it to liven things up a bit. Still, not a bad gigg eh? A nice jaunt to Hawaii for a couple of weeks, nice work if you can get it.
  • Dog Breath
    Dog Breath Posts: 314
    ddraver wrote:
    As a professional geologist I would like to personally, effusively ( :wink: ) and humbly apologise for the utter utter shite that was Volcano Live with Kate Humble! I have never been so ashamed of my career choice.

Please be assured the the reality is so much more interesting than that!
    The programme isn't aimed at scientists already knowledgeable in the subject but at the masses who have a passing interest. So, besides your prejudices against the presenters, what factually has been incorrect?
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Well one bit I can remember is "magma rises like a blow torch" No, no it does nt...

The best bit was the geo from the BGS who they just let talk and let the science speak for itself. That was much better. The bit with Ed whassisname and the guys from Bristol Uni were also good. I did actually learn something from that guy!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,197
    ethanhayes wrote:
    ...It amused me that she was wrapped up like a highly irritating turd in toilet roll...
    She is one of the worst presenters on television. She would be far more at home on loose women.

Remember you can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • solosuperia
    solosuperia Posts: 333
    This about sums it up.......
    So scintilating last night fell asleep for over half of it!

The only thing I can say is ....was quite knackered after a heavy day.

I have just curbed my desire to moan about Ms. Crumble, on reflection if she hadn't of irritated me so much I would have fell asleep quicker.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Started to watch but after couple of minutes just couldn't any more.
    What is it with these 'live' programmes that they are able to show you highlights of what will be shown later in the show or excerpts from the following days show. Are we idiots? perhaps I shouldn't have asked that. retorical, retorical.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    It's no better when you go there to see it, they keep you about ten miles away and you get to see a plume of smoke, pretty similar to Widnes really!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,197
    Nothing to do with Volcano crutch or Crate Crumble.
    Plowmar - I see your ticker and just out of banal curiousity wondered why you want to do 690 miles more (if I have interpreted it correctly) than you did in 2011 ?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • I once nearly crashed my bike into Kate Crumble, having seen one episode of this I wish I had.
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    Sh1t sandwich.
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,208
    jawooga wrote:
    Sh1t sandwich.
    Wot, the Android OS...?
    ... Oh yes!
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    The biggest disgrace of BBC wildlife documentary making in recent times , is giving Richard 'The Hamster' Hammond more oxygen than even Top Gear and shoe horning him in to Planet Earth Live. What a disingenuous patronising tw@t. At least Kate Humble has a history of nature programs, but that guy offers nothing - scratch the surface and absolutely no knowledge or passion for the subject, just gimping around thinking he's charismatic - he's not. [I have just deleted a rant about his Top Gear cohorts as perhaps that's another thread, as well as another comment about giving RH oxygen]

I am typing this while watching Chris Packham - now there's a guy who knows his onions and is genuinely passionate to boot. Hopefully the beeb will realise that the best way to be popularist and 'push science' or whatever their latest condescending mission is, is to at least use experts.

:x
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    jawooga wrote:
    The biggest disgrace of BBC wildlife documentary making in recent times , is giving Richard 'The Hamster' Hammond more oxygen than even Top Gear and shoe horning him in to Planet Earth Live. What a disingenuous patronising tw@t. At least Kate Humble has a history of nature programs, but that guy offers nothing - scratch the surface and absolutely no knowledge or passion for the subject, just gimping around thinking he's charismatic - he's not. [I have just deleted a rant about his Top Gear cohorts as perhaps that's another thread, as well as another comment about giving RH oxygen]

I am typing this while watching Chris Packham - now there's a guy who knows his onions and is genuinely passionate to boot. Hopefully the beeb will realise that the best way to be popularist and 'push science' or whatever their latest condescending mission is, is to at least use experts.

:x

Wheres Terry Nutkin and Johnny Ball when you need them, eh ?