Routes in Bolton, Lancashire

jakjtb
jakjtb Posts: 111
edited July 2012 in Routes
hey guys,
im looking for nice downhilling routes in bolton, the forest i used to smash round in as a kid is now overgrown and needs a lot of clearing which im sure the owners wouldnt be too happy with. if anyone knows of anything decent in bolton i will be very grateful
i find that if you just talk, your mouth comes out with stuff - Karl Pilkington

Comments

• compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Get up rivington :)
    if you are wanting DH id try from the top of winter hill either down into belmont or the other way down two lads and then along georges lane to the pigeon tower. Then take the left fork, the ice cream run.

Give us a holler if you are heading up, Im free most of the time and it'd be a pleasure to show you round :)
  • jakjtb
    that would be awesome! i shall let you know when im on me way up t'hill
  • compo
    edited July 2012
    EDIT: I'm going up this evening now
  • mintedox
    mintedox Posts: 273
    Check out Wilderswood at the bottom of Rivington for a bit of danger
    Papa? Nicole
  • compo
    They've cut down Wilderswood recently so its not as good as it was.

I'm going up in a bit, any takers?

Mintedox - any luck on the bike fixing?
  • mintedox
    compo wrote:

Mintedox - any luck on the bike fixing?

Wheel is in the shop now, getting it back tomorrow. I'm going up on Thursday eve for a couple of hours if you are up for it?
    Papa? Nicole
  • compo
    Off to Hayfield on Thursday, so I shall see whether I am still alive! :p

I could do tommorrow evening or Wednesday day or evening?
  • mintedox
    I'll do wednesday if you fancy, Hayfield sounds like hard work. Slightly jealous :D
    Papa? Nicole
  • compo
    Wednesday sounds good to me :)

Where and when?
  • mintedox
    Any time after 4 is good for me, Are you riding there? I can meet you somewhere in Horwich if you are.

Any other takers?
    Papa? Nicole
  • compo
    I am riding there. We could make it more of an evening ride, how about we meet some time about 6.15ish at the Crown?

I'm flexible to suit others however

And indeed, the more the merrier in my book
  • I'd join but I'm working at 8 :(
    Whyte 801
    The destination is not as important as the journey!!
  • compo
    Unlucky Scott, some other time is a must
  • jakjtb
    am working late too :( weekend is looking good...does the route end up at a pub....coz that would be brilliant
  • compo
    I am game for this Wednesday with Mintedox still, however as long as it isn't monsooning I am up for Saturday or Sunday too, pub being very enticing
  • jakjtb
    i need to sort out my epic chain slipping problem before this weekend, but even if its still going im gonna at least go for a trek on the roads..
  • jakjtb
    also, have seen on youtube someone doing the black and red runs etc, where abouts do they start???
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6DDm9cZBGE
    those are the ones i have seen. they look pretty decent for a returning biker still in newbie mode
  • compo
    jakjtb wrote:
    also, have seen on youtube someone doing the black and red runs etc, where abouts do they start???
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6DDm9cZBGE
    those are the ones i have seen. they look pretty decent for a returning biker still in newbie mode

If we're game for this weekend I'll show you :)
  • jakjtb
    noice one
  • compo
    Do we have any plans for Saturday?
  • jakjtb
    Am gonna see if the mrs is working and if not I'll be up the pike I recon. Need to get myself one of them bikeracks for the back of the car if you know of any going cheap somewhere?
  • me and my mate are up rivi on saturday. do you know most of the trails up there cause we've only just found out that there is red and black routes lol.
    Whyte 801
  • mintedox
    The red and black runs are Healy nab near chorley, well worth the ride there.

I'm up for a saturday mission but was thinking more towards egerton/ peel tower if anyone is up for it?
    Papa? Nicole
  • We're up for wherever. As long as we get a good run.
    Whyte 801
  • compo
    I'll come along unless its monsooning.

Riding from Westhoughton but will meet anywhere :)

Egerton/Peel Tower sounds good, but so does Healley Nab

We could go over the top to Belmont and then round, via Withnell Fold, to Healy Nab?
  • I can ride up with you from weathoughton?
    I don't mind where we go. I'd probably have meet my mate at lower barn unless we know where we're going?
    Whyte 801
  • bwfc4eva868
    bwfc4eva868 Posts: 717
    Do any of you know how to get to Healey nab from the masts and then back? Plan on a big ride on my week off.
  • compo
    edited July 2012
    Post Deleted
  • compo
    Do any of you know how to get to Healey nab from the masts and then back? Plan on a big ride on my week off.

I sure do :)
    When is said week off?
    I can ride up with you from westhoughton?
    I don't mind where we go. I'd probably have meet my mate at lower barn unless we know where we're going?

Yeah It'd be good to ride with someone for a change. I usually go up church street then along the A6 to Blackrod station and then up to the crown.
  • Sounds like a plan. We're shall I inform my friend to meet us?
    Whyte 801