Removing chain all the time for cleaning?

captainbligh
captainbligh Posts: 35
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I was wondering if removing the chain and reinstalling too often would cause it to fail?

I have 10 speeds on the back and 3 on front. The chain is obviously a 10 speed (Not sure if SLX or XT chain).

It's mainly for cleaning purposes, as I live in an apartment I have nowhere to wash it outside!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    use a KMC split link.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    If the chain has a quick link yes no problem but if your breaking the chain with a chain tool NO you are weakening the chain everytime you break it. Just buy some SRAM or KMC quick links break the chain once to fit and you can remove the chain anytime.

You dont actually need to remove the chain to clean it, you can get yourself a chain cleaning machine if you have no washing facilities.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    stubs wrote:
    If the chain has a quick link yes no problem but if your breaking the chain with a chain tool NO you are weakening the chain everytime you break it. Just buy some SRAM or KMC quick links break the chain once to fit and you can remove the chain anytime.

You dont actually need to remove the chain to clean it, you can get yourself a chain cleaning machine if you have no washing facilities.

Sram 10spd links are one use only.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Chains don't need cleaning 'all the time'. Use a decent lube, wipe down, relube.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I'm sure Sram recommend only reusing quick links 3 times for 8 and 9 speeds.
    For info.
  • stubs wrote:

Hi thanks for the info.

So if I buy a SRAM quick link, where exactly do I have to fit it? Should I first remove completely the Shimano link and replace it with the SRAM quick link? Or can it be place anywhere on the chain?

Sorry I am not that experienced with chains..., but these cleaning machines aren't going to clean my sprockets and crankset, that's the problem.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    cooldad wrote:
    Chains don't need cleaning 'all the time'. Use a decent lube, wipe down, relube.
    ^^This.
    Excessive cleaning will cause far more issues than taking the chain off in order to clean it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sorry I am not that experienced with chains..., but these cleaning machines aren't going to clean my sprockets and crankset, that's the problem.
    But a quick squirt with a hose will. If you don't have one inside, stick it in the bath. and give it a shower.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    cooldad wrote:
    But a quick squirt with a hose will. If you don't have one inside, stick it in the bath. and give it a shower.

not forgetting to use:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT29rzTyvgma0W5FpgcnXJyzwJgwfZaJYGBgPKjNfTpGO8perYLZQ
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Hi thanks for the info.

So if I buy a SRAM quick link, where exactly do I have to fit it? Should I first remove completely the Shimano link and replace it with the SRAM quick link? Or can it be place anywhere on the chain?

If the chain is riveted together you can break it anywhere as long as you dont break the original joining rivet. Look for a pin that is slightly larger than the others and is usually black or a darker grey.

Break the chain and break it again at the next pin removing left and right outer plates so you have 2 ends with inner plates. The quick link replaces the 2 outer plates you removed. I forgot you have a 10 speed chain so dont buy the SRAM links buy KMC ones which are reusable. Make sure you get 10 speed Shimano type. I bought off this site pretty good price you get 2 pairs put one in your rucksack for emergencies. If you get stuck send me a PM and I can run you through it.
    Starcycles 10 Spd KMC link
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap