Centre lock disc tool query

djb1971
djb1971 Posts: 565
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Can anyone tell me if there's a centre lock removal tool that fits over the rear hub bearings.

Every time I use my cassette removal tool I have to undo the hubs, fix the rotor on and then put the hub back together! The park tool isn't dep enough to go over the hubs.

Has anybody got this one?

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/workshop-tools/tools/tools-workshop/icetoolz-cassette-tool-with-guide.html

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Is it the real deal or adapters? If adapters you can get ones that use the HTII tool
  • djb1971
    They're on xt centre lock hubs.

I've linked to a tool on my first post but I'm not sure if it's deep enough.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    djb1971 wrote:
    Can anyone tell me if there's a centre lock removal tool that fits over the rear hub bearings.

Every time I use my cassette removal tool I have to undo the hubs,
    how do you mean?

what hub?

front or rear.

my park tools do fine.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • djb1971
    It's the rear hub on xt m785 hubs. The cassette removal tool I have is fine on the front hub but doesn't go over the rear hub locknut so I have to keep taking it off. My cassette tool is a park tools fr?5?

The problem is, it isn't deep enough to engage in the centre lock unless I remove the rear hub locknut its a pain in the ass!
  • djb1971
    Apparently the ice toolz cassette tool I linked above fits over the rear hub lockring without removing it.

I ordered one so well soon see !
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I've got a "Fat Spanner" cassette tool that works fine.
    I also have a Shimano lockring tool that fits fine, but needs a socket wrench, so I just use the FatSpanner one.
    I'm curious though, if your cassette tool won;t fit over the lockrings etc... how can you undo the casette lockring with it?
  • djb1971
    It just won't fit over the rear hub lockring, not the disc or cassette lockring.
    The hub lockring protrudes on the opposite side from the cassette side( the side the disc fits ). I can undo the cassette but on the non drive side the hubs stick out too far for my tool to engage the disc lockring.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Hmm. I think I understand.
  • djb1971
    I think I prefer 6 bolt instead of centrelock :lol:

You'll know the problem if you ever try to remove centre locks from an xt rear rear hub with a normal cassette lockring tool. I'm hoping the ice toolz is deeper and can go over the hub. Wouldnt life be easy if manufacturers actually rode bikes and dismantled them every now and then with normal tools :roll:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    djb1971 wrote:
    You'll know the problem if you ever try to remove centre locks from an xt rear rear hub with a normal cassette lockring tool.
    I have a 15mm thru-axle Saint rear hub, with centrelock rotors, and three cassette tools, none of which cause any issue.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    At a guess the Shimano too should fit........
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • djb1971
    The ice tools one fits perfectly if anyone else has the same problem. It goes over the hub easily.

I looked at the shimano one, it says it too goes over the hub but shimano £22, ice tools £5