Gymkhana 5

nicklouse
nicklouse Posts: 50,675
edited July 2012 in The Crudcatcher
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

Comments

• angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    It's good but if I'm honest I did feel a bit bored through it at times.

No disrespect to the guy, it's incredible what he can do but for me it's getting a bit repetitive.

Amazing driving though. Just think they need to go OTT again on the next one like they did a bit with number 4 in universal studios.
  • fyldesmurf
    fyldesmurf Posts: 412
    He's alright, needs to lean back more when he jumps though
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    fyldesmurf wrote:
    He's alright, needs to lean back more when he jumps though

I lol'd
  • Maddog1979
    Maddog1979 Posts: 185
    He's an amazing trick pony but a shite overated rally driver.. It pains me to think he's probably the most famous "rally driver" around today without actually being good at proper rallying. He'd get spanked by the likes of Elfyn Evans on a rally circuit.
  • Jimbob_no5
    Jimbob_no5 Posts: 1,568
    Watched this at 1:30am and didn't think too much of it if im honest, as already mentioned he needs to go way OTT again, he's classed a famous "rally driver" when technically he's a showman, still incredible driving though
    Pinkbike

I believe in only 2 things in life.
    1) Drink is not my friend
    2) D-Locking cnuts ;)
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Maddog1979 wrote:
    He's an amazing trick pony but a shite overated rally driver.. It pains me to think he's probably the most famous "rally driver" around today without actually being good at proper rallying. He'd get spanked by the likes of Elfyn Evans on a rally circuit.

Perhaps so, but comparing him to an actual rally driver is utterly pointless. It is obvious that Loeb or any of the WRC boys would cane him. I'm no expert, but gymkana appears to be more like stunt driving rather than racing.

He's not overrated because he's not even at the top level of the sport.

It's like saying Danny Mcaskill is shite compared to Aaron Gwin because Gwin is faster on a DH track. A pointless comparison.
  • EH_Rob
    Forgot to add, pretty looking video though. Although it could have lasted half the length it did!
  • Maddog1979
    He drives in WRC so how is that not at the top of his sport?
  • EH_Rob
    My bad, I didn't realise he raced in WRC events when he feels like it!
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    he may not be the best rally race driver but he's amazing at this kind of thing and also really good at promoting his sponsors
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    EH_Rob wrote:
    Yes he is. He's competing in the World Rally Championship.

What annoys me is, not only is he an "also-ran" at Rallying, but any rally driver worth his salt could do these gymkhana videos.
    It's all just a publicity thing, so why choose Block? Why didn't they go with a charismatic driver who actually is competitive?
    Loeb's a bit of a quiet bloke, but Hirvonen or Solberg would have made great figureheads, and would have actually represented the sport.
  • Maddog1979
    I think they choose block for his marketability... and the fact he owns DC shoes plus he'll do this all day at x games for the American market.. $$$$$$
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Maddog1979 wrote:
    I think they choose block for his marketability... and the fact he owns DC shoes plus he'll do this all day at x games for the American market.. $$$$$$

"The Monster World Rally Team is a team that competes in the World Rally Championship, with driver Ken Block.[1] The team was formed by Block at the beginning of 2010 as a platform for him to compete at world championship level."

Didn't he get his ass handed back on a platter by Loeb at the 2012 X-Games?

.....just sayin', like......
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Abra
    Abra Posts: 338
    All that sponsorship looks like a gay disco threw up on him.
    DO MORE OF WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    EH_Rob wrote:
    Yes he is. He's competing in the World Rally Championship.

What annoys me is, not only is he an "also-ran" at Rallying, but any rally driver worth his salt could do these gymkhana videos.
    It's all just a publicity thing, so why choose Block? Why didn't they go with a charismatic driver who actually is competitive?
    Loeb's a bit of a quiet bloke, but Hirvonen or Solberg would have made great figureheads, and would have actually represented the sport.
    DC shoes are the ones that filmed all the gymkhana videos. ken block is one of the founders of DC so bit obvious there... then add pastrana to it who is also sponsored by DC and is simply a legend and very well knows around the world.

i'm sure if one of solberg's sponsors wanted to film something like this then it would be possible. i'm sure most rally drivers could do what block did in his videos just that ken block has the access to film and sponsors behind him to make these videos
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    It's all just a publicity thing, so why choose Block?
    they did not.

he just does it as he can and he can promote his products.

unless i miss read you.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    jay12 wrote:
    ken block has the access to film and sponsors behind him to make these videos

And Ken Block is a narcissist of epic proportion.

Most rally drivers just want to race.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    nicklouse wrote:
    It's all just a publicity thing, so why choose Block?
    they did not.

he just does it as he can and he can promote his products.

unless i miss read you.
    I thought Monster chose him? Hmm.
    Clank wrote:
    And Ken Block is a narcissist of epic proportion.
    Actually, as much as I dislike him because he's taking the spotlight away from truly great drivers (I mean, Loeb is just incredulous, he's a living legend, and will be remembered in motorsport history forever as one of the most succesful drivers of all time, but nobody knows him) - He does actually seem to have an air of humility and respect.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    i got bored but i like his race boots at the begining, might buy them, wifey vers 1.2 will hate them :)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/DC-Shoes-Mens-B ... 625&sr=8-9
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    WRC is dead now anyway. All the interesting manufacturers pulled out and the cars have got further and further from the roadgoing vehicles they represent.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    They changed the car specs last year, to (allegedly) closer represent the bulk of car sales.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Pah, I drive like that when I'm drunk, yet nobody videos me doing it, except for those pol;ice officers that once
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    WRC is dead now anyway. All the interesting manufacturers pulled out and the cars have got further and further from the roadgoing vehicles they represent.

VWs back in next year and I think Hyundai are coming back too.

The Fiesta is closer to the road car than the Focus, but they are heavily modified, they have to be to cope with the punishment.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3