cassette nooooob question

sigorman85
sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
hi i have 2 sets of wheels that i use on one bike one set is dt swiss that i use off road with a Shimano HG30, 9-speed, 11-34t and the other ones are alex rims that i use for road rides the shimano cassette is bigger than the one on the alex rims and the gears are set to the shimano they are both 9 speed but the on on the alex rims is a small cassette and i cant use all the gears why is this?????

i have no idaea what make the one on the alex rims is but is alot smaller if this helps
sorry for being a mong
When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you will need to reset the mech each time you swap them over.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sigorman85
    ahh so bit of a wast of time having 2 sets of wheels if i just want to swap the over from road to off road?
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

• nicklouse
    well setting a mech is easier than changing tyres.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • sigorman85
    true. so it would make sence to just buy another shimano cassette that the mech is set to?

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope, the wheels and freehubs will be slightly different, not the cassette spacing as such.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Youtube will have lots of vids on how to adjust and set your derailleur High/Low and indexing. Its really rather easy once you see it.
  • sigorman85
    well my idea of just swaping wheels over and that is has just been pi55ed on! lol

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not at all, its a 2 minute job to adjust Hi and Low stops and cable tension, especially as you'll know pretty much what changes you need to make after swapping a couple of times.

Having said that I have 2 wheels, both with Shimano M475 rear hubs and can swap without touching the rear mech adjustment.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sigorman85
    think il go for another shimano cassette an see what happens lol

• sigorman85
    think il go for another shimano cassette an see what happens lol :roll:

• 70\ʹspenguin
    70\ʹspenguin Posts: 957
    edited July 2012
    sigorman85 wrote:
    think il go for another shimano cassette an see what happens lol :roll:

Why not give the indexing a go? It really is very very simple. I am retarded when it comes to technical things and even i cant screw that up!
  • sigorman85
    Yeah ill prob give it a go

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    sigorman85 wrote:
    As has been said, it'll be the hub spacing that's different. Changing just the cassette will achieve nothing.
  • nicklouse
    sigorman85 wrote:
    As has been said, it'll be the hub spacing that's different. Changing just the cassette will achieve nothing.

well it will. it will reduce his bank balance.
  • sigorman85
    might just get rid of the rims there starting to pi55 me off lol they need to be trued up a bit aswell or might just keep em if i decide to attempt to build a bike

• cooldad
    You don't need two sets of wheels as you shouldn't be riding on the road anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • sigorman85
    using the bike to get to work mate no car at the mo so got a set of city jet on the alex rims

• cooldad
    Sorry was just messing with you.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • sigorman85
    Lol I'm used to it on here I suppose I have to put up with the piss taking and all that but on the plus side I have lernt a lot from this site and u cool dad very helpfull some times

Cheers

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    sigorman85 wrote:
    I have lernt a lot from this site and u cool dad very helpfull some times
    Sssshhhh you can't say that, you'll ruin his rep!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    Bugger. Outed.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    sigorman85 wrote:

..being the operative words (sometimes is one word, no? - being the operative word then)
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Just a suggestion but why not leave a less grippy, fast rolling off road tyre on the rear wheel full time then have a front wheel with a sticky knobbly tyre and another wheel with a slick tyre and just change the fronts over.

Might be a silly idea, bring on the flames if needs be.

Or just stick to the mud and stop faffing..
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    TwellySmat wrote:
    Just a suggestion but why not leave a less grippy, fast rolling off road tyre on the rear wheel full time then have a front wheel with a sticky knobbly tyre and another wheel with a slick tyre and just change the fronts over.

Might be a silly idea, bring on the flames if needs be.
    It's not a particularly silly idea, but you will probably have to adjust your brakes each time you swap wheels, and you may end up with brakes that are never actually bedded in.
  • sigorman85
    just got a shimano hg 50 as they dont make the or do the hg 30 no more? will see how this go if it still not working it will all be up for sale

• cooldad
    sigorman85 wrote:

..being the operative words (sometimes is one word, no? - being the operative word then)
    Depends whether people are writing total shite or not.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools