derailleur adjustment help

jakjtb
jakjtb Posts: 111
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
hey people,
had my bike re-set up by halfords and now my bike doesnt seem to like to go onto the smallest cog on the rear cassette. im pretty sure i just need to adjust the derailleur but dont know how. help would be awesome.
i find that if you just talk, your mouth comes out with stuff - Karl Pilkington

Comments

• Go on youtube and type in "rear derailer set up". Simples
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Everything you need to know will be in parktools - here parktool.com/blog/repair-help

The guide in it is how I learnt to index my gears.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or go back to Halfords and give them a kicking!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    When I got into biking earlier this year I didn't have a clue. Now 6 months later I am quite proficient at adjusting nearly everything on the bike, I just trawled the net when something needed adjusting and learnt from there. To be honest adjusting gears is pretty simple stuff, just Google derailleur adjustment!
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    This months MBUK has a maintenance DVD with it which shows front and rear mech set up in a really clear and easy way.
  • Greer_
    Well this months MBUK, but next months is the one in the shops now.
  • Twelly
    Greer_ wrote:
    Well this months MBUK, but next months is the one in the shops now.

Oh I don't know.. I got my July and August ones in the post within a few days of each other so I have no idea which I read first or which the DVD was in!

Tis good though, definitely helped me.
  • Greer_
    the way they're 'released' a month early is so confusing! I don't understand why the july edition can't be released in july!
  • Twelly
    Same reason anything with a 2013 sticker on it is released any time after Spring 2012 I guess.

It doesn't really matter does it, I get one magazine a month, if the writers of MBUK think they are time travellers, that's cool with me.
  • jakjtb
    which month is it? coz i get paid on the morrow and could do with buying it. :)
  • jakjtb
    Or go back to Halfords and give them a kicking!
    they are gonna be getting a kick up the arse! ha.
    also, i have monumental chain slippage which needs to be sorted. any ideas?
  • Twelly
    Julys issue I think. Might be worth asking the mods in the MBUK office section if they can send you a copy of the DVD as I don't think the mag will be on sale still.

I would send you mine but I need it :)
  • jakjtb
    TwellySmat wrote:

I would send you mine but I need it :)
    Ha I shan't be stealing another mans magazines. I'll ask in the mbuk part
  • Twelly
    Ha, I'm done with the mag, it's the DVD I'm keeping! But yeah defo try get your hands on one, I found it much easier to be shown than told.
  • Go on youtube and type in "rear derailer set up". Simples

+1 I've always found the official Sram videos best for Sram, Avid and Rockshox kit.