lazy piston

bikerbennyp
bikerbennyp Posts: 96
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
my avid elixir cr front brake seems to have a lazy piston. the piston doesnt move as much as the other one causing uneven wear on the pads.the other problem with this is it is hard to centre up.
any help or advice would be great
thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    strip and clean. maybe swap pistons over.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    get it stripped and serviced, could be:

damaged seal
    corroded piston (could be warped... and so on)
    blockage in the calliper circuit
    brake shoe sticking

and im sure many other things

if anything on a bike needs to work perfectly its the brakes
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Drunk to motorist peering under bonnet - "What's the matter?"
    Motorist - "Piston broke"
    Drunk - "Me too"
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    My Elixir's are doing the same so I've bought a piston kit for each calliper and will strip and rebuild them soon when I get a chance. You can try cleaning the pistons with warm soapy water, lubing them with silicone spray and working the pistons in and out to free them up but in my experience at best this is a brief solution. For the love of god and all that is holy don't get any lube on your pads or rotors so clean everything with warm soapy water before putting the pads back in.

http://www.bikegoo.co.uk/product.php/73 ... t__elixir_

If all else fails the standard advice seems to be bin them and buy Shimano XT...
  • What worked on an old Shimano sticky piston i had was, removing the brake pads and wheel, pump the brake lever to get the pistons to come out (be careful not to go to far so they pop out of there sockets), Dot 5.1 or whatever brake fluid your system requires on a cotton wool bud around the piston to lube them, push them back in.
    Might work for you too.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x