I think i'm getting bored of MTB.

13»

Comments

• Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    cooldad wrote:
    Majski wrote:
    Just put a bit of WD40 on them and they won't squeak any more
    Also unless you meant to post in crudcatcher, a bit dumb to say. People come here for advice, and believe it or not, this piece of advice has been taken seriously at least once before to my knowledge.

If that has ever been taken seriously then it's just Darwin at work
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Majski wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Majski wrote:
    Just put a bit of WD40 on them and they won't squeak any more
    Also unless you meant to post in crudcatcher, a bit dumb to say. People come here for advice, and believe it or not, this piece of advice has been taken seriously at least once before to my knowledge.

If that has ever been taken seriously then it's just Darwin at work
    Maybe so but just because you are a rocket scientist doesn't mean you should assume others are.
    There are a lot of beginners, and lurkers on here trying to find out things, if they read something obviously written by a rocket scientist, they may take that advice.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Majski
    You're right, i'm sorry. Sometimes I do find it hard to accept that others are below my levels of genius.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Find a 4X track and just go mental on it....

It's what most the kids round here your age are into...
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Majski wrote:
    You're right, i'm sorry. Sometimes I do find it hard to accept that others are below my levels of genius.
    Yeah, both of them.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    cooldad wrote:
    Majski wrote:
    Yeah, both of them.
    :D
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Majski
    ha ha, i'll give you that.

But in all seriousness if you are stupid enough to put oil on something that uses friction to work then a fall off and a knock to the head is hardly going to be detrimental
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    No I'm sorry CD's comment was valid, plenty of people come on here who really don't know about bikes - people use GT85 to clean stuff, rotors need cleaning, spray with GT85, done. It happens a lot.

People don't think of GT85 as an 'oil' (mainly because it's not).
  • Majski
    meh, well poeple are silly
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Majski wrote:
    meh, well poeple are silly

Yep.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Also; if you've only explored within 10k of your house then get out and go further! 6 miles isn't a long way in the grand scheme of things. Get an OS map of your area and plan a longer route; just make sure you tell someone where you're going and when you plan to be back etc.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I use GT85 to clean stuff ;-). Not rotors though...
  • andymc06
    andymc06 Posts: 245
    welshkev wrote:
    i've never ridden around your area but i have an office in farnborough and have ridden there and compared to what else is around it's not exactly technical (please feel free to slate me if you disagree :wink: )

i think that's your problem, you need to try some 'real' mountain biking

How does riding around Farnborough have anything to do with Worthing?

I agree perhaps he should try to get onto some bigger terrain, but Farnborough is about an hours drive from Worthing and I would guess offers very different riding. However having never ridden at Worthing I don't actually know! :) (Not sure where you ride around Farnborough but there is lots of decent singletrack around, hence why so many events are held in the area. You did ask to be slated! :wink: )
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    andymc06 wrote:
    [
    How does riding around Farnborough have anything to do with Worthing?

I agree perhaps he should try to get onto some bigger terrain, but Farnborough is about an hours drive from Worthing and I would guess offers very different riding. However having never ridden at Worthing I don't actually know! :) (Not sure where you ride around Farnborough but there is lots of decent singletrack around, hence why so many events are held in the area. You did ask to be slated! :wink: )

yeah i thought it was closer than it was :lol:

i know there's some good stuff around there, don't they hold the gorrick series there? but it's not exactly difficlult (again i'll wait to be slated :lol: )
  • andymc06
    andymc06 Posts: 245
    Yeah they do Gorrick and one or two others around here. There are no long descents but there is some decent technical stuff if you know where to look. Mainly on MoD land around Tunnel Hill or Caesars Camp. I suppose my point is that you don't necessarily need a mountain to find decent mountain biking. (Now i'll wait to be slated! :) )
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • MTB noob
    MTB noob Posts: 272
    i found another place to have a rush on - there is a slope where when wet, it goes 1 inch thick of slushy chalk and clay - tons of fun when you are rocking 1.9" Kendas and V-brakes. I did fall off once on it though - i slid off the top of the berm and went airborne into a soft tree. I still haven't broken a bone in my life.
    My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    .blitz wrote:
    MTB noob wrote:
    I am almost 15
    Perfectly normal ime. Without getting all sanctimonious you are at the age where your brain is telling you to try anything and everything and the been there done that feeling cannot be ignored.

Give it a few years and you will get back into it. We've all been there.

I had exactly the same thing with sailing a few years back, just couldn't get motivated to go up and race each week, I'd been placing fairly well, winning a few races, getting some trophies etc. not amazing or anything, just within the club and it started getting dull about 16ish I'd say , don't understand why really, I guess it was down to the repetitiveness of it.

I gave up in the end. Massive error. Really regret it 6 years on now. Sold all my stuff, sold my boat, and now can't afford to get back into it, for another few years at least until I graduate and get one of those "job" things.

But yeah, you've just got to keep at it and really make an effort to mix it up and keep it fresh, set yourself some new targets to acheive, save some money for a new bike and if you're ever stuck for inspiration just go on youtube and start watching some of them nutty pro people riding bikes.

FWIW I think maybe the odd trip further afield on the train, Cwmcarn etc, might take some time for you, but should be easier now it's school holidays and will really mix your riding up. Also get involved in some trail building or something, if there's nothing official going on near you find a local wood that's out of the way and just start clearing some lines there...
    MTB noob wrote:
    I still haven't broken a bone in my life.

Well now's the time to do it, while you're still young and they'll mend properly.
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Firstly
    Congratulations on being a teenager and still having the ability to construct a sentence. There arent many 14 - 15 year olds that know how to communicate in a legible way!!

Secondly
    Youve come to the right place. Its easy to just stop riding and give it up when you plateu, but asking for help to reignite the spark is very commendable

Thirdly
    As a few others have said, weve all been there and the key is to either push yourself further and try new things / places, ride with new people to stretch you, join a club and get involved in the scene and/or have a few weeks off but keep watching youtube vids. Youll be gagging to get out after a bit of that!!

Other than that, youll have to wait till youre a bit older and can drive to some better places
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    dan shard wrote:
    Congratulations on being a teenager and still having the ability to construct a sentence. There arent many 14 - 15 year olds that know how to communicate in a legible way!!

:lol::lol::lol: sadly the same can be said for a lot of the age ranges we see on here!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Greer_ wrote:
    dan shard wrote:

:lol::lol::lol: sadly the same can be said for a lot of the age ranges we see on here!

i dun't kno whot your talking abouot!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."