16 fire crews

capt_slog
capt_slog Posts: 3,939
edited July 2012 in The bottom bracket
16 fire crews
+hundreds of police
+ M6 closed for most of the day

All to put out a fake cigarette on a bus.

There was a decontamination unit, police marksmen, the works. Anyone else think this has gone into the realms of overdoing it?

Just considering the firecrews alone, what did those in charge think was in the bus? I reckon they'd have less for a petrol tanker!

My colleague here at work has this theory that there is a TV program somewhere in Europe, most likely Germany, called "What the British have done this week". It's presented on the lines of You've Been Framed, and highlights all the bonkers stuff that goes on here. The rest of the world must be p1ssing themselves laughing at us. :(

The older I get, the better I was.

Comments

• Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    And what if it had been an actual bomb and they only sent one of the traffic patrol units?

I agree it was a little OTT, but hindsight is a wonderful thihg.
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Much as I depsise the Sun the headline today is pretty cool - picture of the bus surrounded by marksmen et al and the headline "I am 'avin a fag" - made me laugh.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Exactly what Monkeypump said.

The police got a call from a passenger saying that there was someone on the bus acting suspiciously with smoke coming out of his bag. I seem to remember that was exactly what was seen before one of the tube bombings on 7th July 2005.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    The Police statement maintained the response was proportionate. The Sun is very naughty. :D
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    RideOnTime wrote:
    The Police statement maintained the response was proportionate. The Sun is very naughty. :D

Can think of a better word than naughty for The Sun. Begins with a C and ends in T and has a U, S and an N in it.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:

Can think of a better word than naughty for The Sun. Begins with a C and ends in T and has a U, S and an N in it.

+1
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:

+1
    Cunst? :shock:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:

+1

+2. Murdoch's zero-credibility redtop rag strikes again.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    But what could all those people have done if it had been a bomb, other than been more sacrificial lambs??????
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Bit concious of the dates, so there would be a massive response. Added to this, they have just reported that 5 men were held last week on terror charges after finding guns and ammo in their car in S Yorks, so good call for the bus drama IMHO.
  • capt_slog
    plowmar wrote:
    But what could all those people have done if it had been a bomb, other than been more sacrificial lambs??????
    Yup.

If there had been a bomb big enough to warrant all those fire engines, they would have been in the radius of the blast.
    and all the surrounding neighbourhood would have been without support because they were stuck on the motorway.

I really get the feeling that this was more of a 'dress rehearsal' rather than the correct response, they had all the plan in place so "let's see if it works".

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I thought this was a thread about a long lost john hughes film. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    The last time I burned my toast 21 fire crews,a priest and Paul Gascoigne carrying beer and a fishing rod turned up.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Capt Slog wrote:
    plowmar wrote:
    Yup.

If there had been a bomb big enough to warrant all those fire engines, they would have been in the radius of the blast.
    and all the surrounding neighbourhood would have been without support because they were stuck on the motorway.

I really get the feeling that this was more of a 'dress rehearsal' rather than the correct response, they had all the plan in place so "let's see if it works".

And how big is such a bomb ?
    what's that you say ? you don't know ?
    Fire crews don't just put out fires.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    From my reading of Capt Slog's response he was asking what size of problem, bomb or otherwise, needs 16 fire engines and for them then to be parked less than 100 metres from the bus.

what's that you say ? you don't know ? I think we should ask mr Bush about the knowing of unknowns don't you?

OOPs That's going to get me into trouble isn't it?
  • capt_slog
    MattC59 wrote:

This is true, they would have been put to use cutting all the policeman out of their cars :lol:

• t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    And fatties from bedrooms - cats from trees - lapdancing in thongs
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Capt Slog wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

This is true, they would have been put to use cutting all the policeman out of their cars :lol:

Agree, because they certainly ain't ordnance disposal. Oh no Siree.

Funky yellow hats though. Chapeau!
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    MattC59 wrote:

True, they also do a bit of plumbing, electrical work and conservatory installations.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • nickellis
    nickellis Posts: 239
    The last time I burned my toast 21 fire crews,a priest and Paul Gascoigne carrying beer and a fishing rod turned up.

ROFL :lol:

Gazza, I hope he doesn't forget the chicken..... LEG-END!!!
    Trek 1.1c (2012) - For commuting
    Trek Madone 5.5c (2010) - For pleasure http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o62 ... G_0413.jpg