Single-ring on the front, shorter chain ?

weeksy59
weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Afternoon,

I'm just about to complete the swap to a single 32T ring on the front on my Giant XTC29er. I need to split the chain anyway to remove the front mech, so was wondering if i should shorten the chain length ? (Chain is 1 ride old only as i fitted it last week)

Thanks.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • weeksy59
    cooldad wrote:
    Yes

Lovely ?

1 link ? 5 links ? 25 links ?
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    rule is biggest ring - biggest ring + 2 full links (inside link and outside link twice) + some room for chain growth. I usually put it in biggest - biggest, remove air/spring from shock and compress the suspension fully and keep taking links out until the chain is as short as it can possibly be whilst being in both big rings and the suspension being fully compressed. It's usually biggest-biggest+3/4 on a fully, depending on the travel and the frame design.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    How would we know? Usual rule for measuring. But if you have a 42t now, without will be at least minus 10 links or 5 pairs.
  • Chunkers1980
    Also, Just don't take too many out at once, otherwise to get it strong again you'll have to use quick links to add.
  • cooldad
    weeksy59 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Yes

Lovely ?

You said you fitted the new one a week ago. I think it is fair to assume you knew how.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    You do have a bit of a dilemma, as if you're not changing your mech? then a few lengths will work without 'stretching' the drivetrain to much.
  • weeksy59
    cooldad wrote:
    weeksy59 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Yes

Lovely ?

You said you fitted the new one a week ago. I think it is fair to assume you knew how.

I fitted it the same length as the one i removed. I was running a standard setup from the factory at that stage. Now, i've dropped to just a 33T.
  • weeksy59
    ilovedirt wrote:
    the suspension being fully compressed. It's usually biggest-biggest+3/4 on a fully, depending on the travel and the frame design.

It's a HT.
  • Chunkers1980
    How many teeth?
  • weeksy59
    How many teeth?

Gone to a 33T ring from a 42T/33/24
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    weeksy59 wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    the suspension being fully compressed. It's usually biggest-biggest+3/4 on a fully, depending on the travel and the frame design.

It's a HT.
    Well in that case, biggest ring - biggest ring plus two whole links. (that's inner and outer link x 2)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • weeksy59
    thank you.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    How would we know? Usual rule for measuring. But if you have a 42t now, without will be at least minus 10 links or 5 pairs.
    OOps, chain only wraps 180 degrees round front ring, so 21-16 = 5 - so 2 or 3 pairs!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    What anyone estimates should be taken out is pointless, just measure, cut, join, job done.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • weeksy59
    cooldad wrote:
    What anyone estimates should be taken out is pointless, just measure, cut, join, job done.

Mostly you're a condescending muppet you know.

Measure HOW ?

Why not for once in your life on here stop trying to be the big dog and actually help if you know the answer. It seems to me you could have written the 'how to' for me about 3 hours ago. But you have some weird obsession with proving your superiority.
  • weeksy59
    OOps, chain only wraps 180 degrees round front ring, so 21-16 = 5 - so 2 or 3 pairs!

Thanks. :)

I'll have a looky once the bits arrive. I've fitted many motorbike chains in the past... but they don't come with a weird derailleur thing ;)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    The same as always. Around the two big cogs with out the mech and add a full link.

Or read Parktools .
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    ilovedirt wrote:
    weeksy59 wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:

It's a HT.
    Well in that case, biggest ring - biggest ring plus two whole links. (that's inner and outer link x 2)
    And you measure that length WITHOUT the chain going through the rear mech - just straight round the two largest cogs.
  • cooldad
    You don't take the mech into account when measuring the chain, just the rings.
    And while we're talking about muppets, the fourth post down told you how to measure it, no need to repeat.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • weeksy59
    ilovedirt wrote:
    weeksy59 wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:

It's a HT.
    And you measure that length WITHOUT the chain going through the rear mech - just straight round the two largest cogs.

Interesting... can't imagine i'd ever have considered that approach. Thank you.
  • weeksy59
    cooldad wrote:
    You don't take the mech into account when measuring the chain, just the rings.
    And while we're talking about muppets, the fourth post down told you how to measure it, no need to repeat.

Easy wasn't it :)

thanks to all.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    cooldad wrote:
    Didn't mention that you measure it without the mech though, did he?
  • cooldad
    I was leaving that up to Nick (and his echo).

Sometimes I just assume too much.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • weeksy59
    cooldad wrote:
    I was leaving that up to Nick (and his echo).

Sometimes I just assume too much.

You have to assume we know nothing.

If we knew the answers, we wouldn't post the questions in here, we'd just do the work.

I'm one of these people who know very little, until shown/told. I can rebuild motorbikes from parts, do engines, carbs, wheels, etc etc... I can now do most things on a MTB.. However, there are many many things i still have 0% knowledge of.
  • cooldad
    Fair enough.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • weeksy59
    All done... thanks to everyone for the guidance. Can't say i'm 100% convinced on the blue... but it was the best they had in stock.

DSC_0168.jpg
  • Chunkers1980
    I'm no expert on these devices, but that doesn't look right.
  • weeksy59
    I'm no expert on these devices, but that doesn't look right.
    No ?

Me neither mate lol

It doesn't rub in any gear so it's a good start point.

You're thinking more horizontal and lower ?
  • weeksy59
    Here's another... i guess that's more like it ?

7245316072_9f8b0faca0_b.jpg