Pot holes and pinch flats - why me?

Herbsman
Herbsman Posts: 2,029
edited July 2012 in Amateur race
Today has been the second race during which, along with any hope of winning, my rear tyre has rapidly deflated. This happened immediately after riding over a pot hole. Everyone else in front of me rode over the same hole. Nobody else got a flat. Why me?

The first time, the tyre was only a couple of weeks old. The rim tape is fine and the rim is new, with no dodgy rough bits sticking out. Tyre pressure was 110psi the first time if I remember correctly, and about 115psi this time.

I have had at least one similar pinch flat whilst out training too, on different set of wheels / tyres. Same thing - pot hole that other people rode over & didn't get a puncture, while I did.

Obviously I don't expect anyone to be able to explain why it seems to only happen to me, but answer me this. Am I running my tyres at the right pressure? I'm 75kg and saw a Schwalbe chart that recommended 115psi for a 75kg rider. How often should I change tyres? I've only had my racing tyres on since March. Also, what's the best way to vent my frustration without ending up in court?
CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Did you have time to move your weight forward to lessen the impact? Maybe that's what everyone else did while you just crashed straight through with all your weight on the rear wheel?
    More problems but still living....
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Ride tubs? Seen this numerous times in races where the guys riding clinchers suffer pinch punctures and those riding tubs crack on. That said, I have bust 2 carbon rims hitting potholes in races - didn't puncture though!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Rule74Please
    Rule74Please Posts: 307
    115psi is too low Get them to about 140
  • Herbsman
    amaferanga wrote:
    Did you have time to move your weight forward to lessen the impact? Maybe that's what everyone else did while you just crashed straight through with all your weight on the rear wheel?
    I think I tried to unweight my back wheel a bit but it was too late
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789

:roll:
    More problems but still living....
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    Perhaps other riders were using tubs or latex tubes? Both can be run at higher pressure, lessening the chance of a pinch puncture.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    [cough] tubeless [cough]
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434

Probably not a great idea to inflate them beyond the rims limit...

I'd have said that at 75kg you're probably still overinflating if anything. Try 90 front and 100 rear, see how that goes (or even 90/90 with a 25mm tyre). I suspect the big reason though is that you still had your weight on the saddle while the guy in front managed to get his weight on the pedals.
  • Herbsman
    I suspect the big reason though is that you still had your weight on the saddle while the guy in front managed to get his weight on the pedals.
    Yeah, you're probably right, although I can't remember if I was seated at the time
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You could try pedalling harder? ;-)
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Herbsman
    Monty Dog wrote:
    You could try pedalling harder? ;-)
    :lol:
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    Bunny Hop?
    Cycling Plus ran an article with tips recently...
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    What width tyres are you running?

I have a pair of 23mm Conti Grand Prix Attack/Force that I bought last year for the summer and had pinch flats 2 out of 3 times (so I removed them!) Now I'm back to my 24mm GP's and I don't think I've ever had a puncture on the bike. They seem to have a little bit more volume in them to ease any impacts.

I was talking to a friend last week who has switched from 24mm to 25mm and seemed to think they rolled as quick (if not better) than the 24mm's they replaced (on our poor surfaced roads), so tempted to move to 25mm when my 24s are worn.
    Simon
  • Herbsman
    I went over a bad pot hole on Thurs but my arse was barely touching the saddle and all my limbs were relaxed, so I didn't get a flat.

However it wasn't a sharp pothole like the others, so maybe wouldn't have caused a puncture anyway.

I might switch to 25s and see what happens.
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    Have you reported the pothole to the council/fill that hole so they can repair it?
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • Herbsman
    MacLeod113 wrote:
    Have you reported the pothole to the council/fill that hole so they can repair it?
    :D