best brakes on a budget

pinarellokid
pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi All i have jumped in and bought a Cube LTD race on the cycle scheme at work

im interested in uprating the brakes and unsure which weay to go,,

they come with Shimano BR-M505 hydr. discbrake(180/160mm)

but i really fancy changing them as i am not keen on the look

i really fancy the formula rx brakes but not sure if they are any better,

or is there another brake available which is better for similar money???

also how much would the Shimano BR-M505 be worth if i took them off the bike when it comes and sell as brand new and un used

cheers buys
Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211

Comments

• tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    I have those brakes on my bike and they work great are you really changing them because you dont like the way they look ???
    really ........ you must have money to burn dude
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • pinarellokid
    not at all, i just got told the shimano are the budget brakes in the line up and i wanted to get the best for my money.

selling the brakes before i used them would give me the best return

but i wanted to know how good they are , bearing in mind they are budget range brakes...

just didnt like the idea of spending a grand on a bike and getting crap brakes

this may not be the case and im hoping to get good feedback on the shimano if i am honest
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    So you want to sell some budget brakes, so that you can buy some new budget brakes? Good plan. :?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • pinarellokid
    ok lets start again !!!!!

if the Shimano BR-M505 are budget what do you guys suggest i buy ????

i got told the formula RX were better!!!!!!

please excuse my ignorance as i am new to this game !!!!

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ok lets start again !!!!!

if the Shimano BR-M505 are budget what do you guys suggest i buy ????

i got told the formula RX were better!!!!!!

please excuse my ignorance as i am new to this game !!!!
    I would suggest you buy Shimano BR-M505
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    The formulas are better, however they cost more, they require a lot of maintenance, a lot of shops don't stock parts for them and they get through pads VERY quickly (starting to regret buying mine now). I'd just stick with the Shimanos for now. For a beginner rider, it's really not worth the effort.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • pinarellokid
    ok great ,, thanks

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    ilovedirt wrote:
    The formulas are better, however they cost more, they require a lot of maintenance, a lot of shops don't stock parts for them and they get through pads VERY quickly (starting to regret buying mine now).

Are you actually thinking about what you are saying?
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Bonkers. You really want to change them because of the way they look/because they're a budget brake/someone told you there are better brakes?

- all equally stupid reasons to want to change your brakes IMO
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • pinarellokid
    WHAT, are you real !!!!!!

spending a grand on a bike only to be told the brakes are basic and budget,,

and you call me bonkers for wanting to get a better brake on it????

all i want to do is get brakes that will do the business,, the thought of selling them before i use them is only to get the best price for them...

if the general feeling is the brakes are good enough they will stay on

who said i was selling the due to the way they look ???

there are always better brakes,, no matter what you buy,,

i dont want to be in a position where i buy an expensive bike only to find the brakes as standard are somewhat sub standard in performance

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    WHAT, are you real !!!!!!

spending a grand on a bike only to be told the brakes are basic and budget,,

and you call me bonkers for wanting to get a better brake on it????

all i want to do is get brakes that will do the business,, the thought of selling them before i use them is only to get the best price for them...

if the general feeling is the brakes are good enough they will stay on

who said i was selling the due to the way they look ???

there are always better brakes,, no matter what you buy,,

i dont want to be in a position where i buy an expensive bike only to find the brakes as standard are somewhat sub standard in performance
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Fingz999
    Fingz999 Posts: 69
    A friend has the ones down on his trek and they are great in fact I'm switching to shimano from Hayes as I prefer the feel I'm going for the new 2013 slx but if you want cheap good brakes you can get the deore brakes can't remember number look at reviews on bike radar there on there.

Tbh I'd ride your brakes see how they feel in on my second set Of pads on the front and there loosing there feel again hence me wanting to change to some with more feel but shimano brakes I've used are very good I'd keep them for now
  • felix.london

erm..you did

Trek Session 8
  • pinarellokid
    well cant argue with that now can i !!!!!!

but its more to do with getting the best for my money !!!!!!

hangs head in shame lol !!!!!!!!

got a little excited there didnt i lol..

• Use the brakes the bike comes with for a while... see how you get on. They are perfectly good stoppers, no point in upgrading imo - and the Formula RX isn't exactly an upgrade.

Change them if they ever brake... which they wont...

Just enjoy the bike as it comes!
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437

No no no, if you have brakes that don't brake, definitely change them. Brakes that don't brake are broken brakes :wink:

Anyway, I have Shim 505's and they are more than good enough. Stop being a pleb and ride your bike.
  • felix.london
    well cant argue with that now can i !!!!!!

but its more to do with getting the best for my money !!!!!!

hangs head in shame lol !!!!!!!!

got a little excited there didnt i lol..

:lol: hahaha - yes you did! That just made me laugh out loud for real!

The brakes will be fine. Don't listen to numptys at work or wherever telling you "those brakes are crap, Formula Knob Jocky's are much better" :roll: - they're obviously d1cks and probably jealous of your nice, new, shiny bike. Just enjoy it...for now :wink:

On a side note - I have upgraded every component on my 2006 Rockhopper except the frame and...you guessed it - the brakes! Shimano BR-M525 from 2006 and they are more that adequate at stopping me on Alpine descents.

Enjoy.

Trek Session 8
  • pinarellokid
    glad to hear that, oh and thenks everyone for your input

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt wrote:
    The formulas are better, however they cost more, they require a lot of maintenance, a lot of shops don't stock parts for them and they get through pads VERY quickly (starting to regret buying mine now).

What do you mean? That Formulas are better or that I'm regretting buying mine?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Keep what you have, adjust, and bed in.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    ilovedirt wrote:

Made sense to me.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt wrote:

Made sense to me.
    Glad I'm not the only one...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    best brakes on a budget

According to the reviews I've read, you've probably already got them. If you're itching to spend money, see if you can put a bigger rotor on the front or something
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    there will always be something better /more expensive/shinier that you can spend your money on - brakes or whatever, and even if you get the best they will be 'better' next year due to new design tweek or somethng. enjoy your bike before you get caught up in endless upgrades.
    folk used to go mountain biking with cantilever brakes before disc's were invented - now that made wet downhills chalenging...
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    craigw99 wrote:
    folk used to go mountain biking with cantilever brakes before disc's were invented - now that made wet downhills faster...

ftfy
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    craigw99 wrote:
    folk used to go mountain biking with cantilever brakes before disc's were invented - now that made wet downhills faster...

ftfy

Actually V brakes not cantis. And Vs were a big improvement over cantis.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    got some 4 year old, br485 "budget" shimano brakes on my bike

been bled twice, had a stuck piston, thats all in that time, both were fixed quickly

they work well, stop well and cheap too ( replaced by shimano with the M575)

i use clarke sintered pads, work very well, cheap too

so after owning my scott for 4 years, the only thing i have not changed is the frame and brakes.......
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • Use the brakes the bike comes with for a while... see how you get on. They are perfectly good stoppers, no point in upgrading imo - and the Formula RX isn't exactly an upgrade.

Just enjoy the bike as it comes!

+1 for that
  • And what are the bets the keen eyed sales person saw a punter itching to spend a wad and thought they'd oblige?

<Salesperson> Beautiful bike sir, but the brakes really aren't up to it. However these brakes over here ....
    <cue salesperson getting box off top shelf and brushing dust off>
    <Salesperson> ...are the business and a snap at... shall we say another £400?
  • Hey guys,

Whilst on this subject, I'm just getting back in to biking after a 11 year break. Bought a Zaskar off ebay which has BR-M525's with red aligator saw discs. The brakes are Shockingly bad! Maybe I just had high expectations of them being better than the XTR v's I had 11 years ago. They do need set up again as the pads are rubbing on one side and they feel like they need bled too.

The question though... I've never had disc brakes, how do you tell when the pads are past their best? Also what are the best pads you can recommend for these brakes?

Thanks