Tubeless troubles.

booktownman
booktownman Posts: 151
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I did a ghetto tubeless job on my back wheel - Maxxis Advantage on a Mavic rim. All went smoothly, the tyre inflated easily with Co2 and I rode the thing for a month or so, no bother. It went flat the other day and no matter what I do I just can't get the thing inflated again, Co2 just blows out the sides.

Any tips folks? I've stuck a tube back in for now - might that give the tyre the form it needs to bite on the rim?

Thanks in advance,

BTM

Comments

• mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Co2 just blows out the sides.

through the sidewalls?

or

around the bead, cause it is not sealed to the rim?
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    You might have to re-ghetto it, sometimes the bit of tube that gets trapped between the bead & the rim can move once the tyre goes completely flat and breaks the seal... plus check the tyre bead for a build up of latex.
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or leave the tube in. Simple.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cloudynights
    cloudynights Posts: 351
    or get no tubes kit,easy
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • booktownman
    Thanks for the advice folks.

Air is blowing out the gap between bead and seal, not sure why it suddenly won't seat.

As for the tubeless kit - I looked at it but it basically looked like a ghetto kit in a pretty box with a £50 price tag, so decided to go DIY!

I've got a tube in now, but some more co2 is on the way, I'll have another go in the week.

Cheers,

BTM
  • sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    the problem you describe is what has happenend to the Nobby Nic on my front wheel.

the bead of the tyre has 'stretched' slightly and is now a tiny bit bigger than before, i couldnt get the tyre reinflated properly on my crest with my track pump because as quick as i pumped air in, it came back out from between rim and bead.

the best way to reseat it is to use an air compressor, you need a big slug of air quickly to spread the tyre out and create a tight seal against rim.

from what i have read, Maxxis Advantage seems to have a looser fit than other tyres so people do struggle to seat them properly.
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • booktownman
    Thanks for all the advice folks, I'll give it another go when I've some spare maintenance time. I thought maybe building up the inside of the rim with rim tape might help, we shall see...

BTM
  • i had it the other week with my tubeless tyres on tubeless rims, popped a bit of the beat to puit some more stans in and couldnt get it back on, ended up at a mates unit where he has a Huge compresser (part worn tyres and alloy wheel repair place) and took a couple of minutes with the compresser to get it seated properly! - with schrader adapter on the valve, since then has been fine, have also sussed out since that my spoke key has a slot thats pretty close for a valve core remover! ;-)
    if your using co2 cartridges you'll prolly blow through the lot before you get it seated! there was a way of creating your own mini compresser with a 2L bottle, a bit of clear tubing a small clamp and a pair of presta valves, basically, drill 2 holes in the lid and fit the valves, remove the core of one, fit tubing over it and secure it, kink hose and clamp, inflate the bottle to 60psi ish+/- and connect tube to valve, unclamp and all pressure should Shoot out into the tyre!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I use tubes.
  • mrmonkfinger
    there was a way of creating your own mini compresser with a 2L bottle, a bit of clear tubing a small clamp and a pair of presta valves, basically, drill 2 holes in the lid and fit the valves, remove the core of one, fit tubing over it and secure it, kink hose and clamp, inflate the bottle to 60psi ish+/- and connect tube to valve, unclamp and all pressure should Shoot out into the tyre!

This.

Solves 95% of seating problems, costs the square root of nothing, and takes about 30mins to put together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePbjM6wQ1I8
  • giantAstax
    giantAstax Posts: 55
    I did a ghetto tubeless job on my back wheel - Maxxis Advantage on a Mavic rim. All went smoothly, the tyre inflated easily with Co2 and I rode the thing for a month or so, no bother. It went flat the other day and no matter what I do I just can't get the thing inflated again, Co2 just blows out the sides.

Any tips folks? I've stuck a tube back in for now - might that give the tyre the form it needs to bite on the rim?

Thanks in advance,

BTM

I seem to recall with the Stan's kit the key is making sure that you liberally coat the bead of the tyre with a water/washing up liquid solution. First time I forgot and couldn't get it sealed even with CO2. A quick re-read of the instructions and it worked first time with a track pump. Might help you?

Love the Ghetto 'pop bottle' apparatus though :mrgreen:
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Excuse me if im being a bit thick, but when you remove the hose won't all the air escape from the wheel in a very loud and terrifying manner?
  • Shouldn't do as you'll have the valve core in the valve on the wheel,
    It would do if you removed the wheel valve core just to Seat the tyre,
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • mrmonkfinger
    leaflite wrote:
    Excuse me if im being a bit thick, but when you remove the hose won't all the air escape from the wheel in a very loud and terrifying manner?

It's really not that terrifying. Maybe someone standing nearby looking the other way, would find it a bit unsettling for a moment.

But, yes, you do have to be a bit quick about getting the valve core back in.