Chain Rust

BeenMtb
BeenMtb Posts: 42
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have recently brought myself a brand new Specialized Rockhopper expert, it is really nice. However last night i took it out for my first ride down a small trail which was a bit wet at the bottom. As soon as i got home i hosed my bike down and cleaned it off, this evening i have got it out the shed (i put it in there when ever im not riding it so its not exposed to the elements!) and noticed rust on the chain and rear gears! Is there anything i can do about this as it is rather annoying that a new bike has done this!
SPECIALIZED ROCKHOPPER EXPERT 2012

Comments

• Penylope
    Penylope Posts: 320
    Hmmm, hosed it down, not the best but ok - check
    cleaned it off - check
    oiled the chain - ......
    You have probably washed off the thin film of oil that was on the chain when you got the bike, get some decent chain lube and give it a little dose just before you put it in the shed, job done.
    MTB's, SC Blur LTc & Cotic Soul (26" definitely aint dead!).
    Other, Genesis Croix De Fer
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just a bit of surface rust. Ride it and it'll rub off.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Whenever my bike needs a clean/gets wet after a ride i usually do the same and hose it down but always dry it off with a towel and then use some GT-85 on the entire drivetrain, wipe off the excess, then put some oil on afterwards. Never had i have any rust on any part of the drivetrain from using this method.
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    cooldad wrote:
    Just a bit of surface rust. Ride it and it'll rub off.

+1 not worth worrying about.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Penylope wrote:
    Hmmm, hosed it down, not the best but ok

Please explain this comment.

This seems like a perfectly expectable way to clean a bike. How do you clean yours??
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    Penylope wrote:
    Hmmm, hosed it down, not the best but ok

Please explain this comment.

This seems like a perfectly expectable way to clean a bike. How do you clean yours??

It's fine to hose your bike down as long as it ain't bursting out with powerfull flow as it will drive out grease and so on and as for the drivetrain dry it off with an old towel and spin the chain slowly through the towel then just a light lubing.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • BeenMtb
    BeenMtb Posts: 42
    Sorry i forgot to mention i did not dry it with a towel i did however leave it to dry under an open shelter for the night and i also ,once it was dry, spray the chain and drive train with WD-40
    SPECIALIZED ROCKHOPPER EXPERT 2012
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    BeenMtb wrote:
    Sorry i forgot to mention i did not dry it with a towel i did however leave it to dry under an open shelter for the night and i also ,once it was dry, spray the chain and drive train with WD-40
    WD40 is Water Dispersant (hence the "WD" part of the name).
    If the chain is already dry, then it won't have any use.
    Just leave the bike to dry, then stick on some more chainlube.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    BeenMtb wrote:
    WD40 is Water Dispersant (hence the "WD" part of the name).
    If the chain is already dry, then it won't have any use.
    Just leave the bike to dry, then stick on some more chainlube.

Yep and all too easily squirted on brake rotors. Wash the bike (with a hose Penylope!), grab a cold one from the fridge and wait for it to dry au natural...what's the rush dude?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8