DT Swiss R 1700

alanalanalan
alanalanalan Posts: 9
edited July 2012 in Road buying advice
Looking at up-grading my stock Shimano R500 wheels. Seen a deal on DT Swiss R 1700 how good are the DT Swiss

Comments

• ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    I saw that same deal, but why don't DT Swiss seem to offer Campag fit?!!
  • Not sure why campag is exempt,might be tooo much stock.
  • giarc
    giarc Posts: 54
    Depends on the price I guess. They are nearly 1700 grams so not overly light?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,173
    How good is a good price?
    Standard wheel set with very decent components... Anything under 300 pounds seems ok to me? Don't get the tricon ones as they cannot be serviced or repaired easily.
    left the forum March 2023
  • siamon
    siamon Posts: 274
    Don't know much about the technical side but I like the 1700's, I've used them with Pro race 3's tyres. The ride is probably a bit more supple and comfortable than than stiff and direct but acceleration and performance is more than reasonable.
  • ajb72
    They are £365 and are the Tricon model
  • ugo.santalucia
    ajb72 wrote:

I don't like the tricon... they have all the disadvantages of factory wheels.
    The price is good if they use DT Swiss hubs with the ratchet system or bad if they use the bottom of the range ones (as I fear)
  • ajb72
    ajb72 wrote:

I don't like the tricon... they have all the disadvantages of factory wheels.
    The price is good if they use DT Swiss hubs with the ratchet system or bad if they use the bottom of the range ones (as I fear)

Ugo, you're a man who seems to be in the know on such matters so I apologise to the OP for hijacking the original thread…...

I have fancied a set of everyday / training wheels based on DT Swiss rims since I saw Rob Penn's 'It's all about the Bike' Rourke a few weeks ago. His lovely hand built wheels were based on DT Swiss RR 1.2 rims and Royce hubs and he reckoned he had covered around 8000 miles without so much as a spoke key being required. I love those rims in the silver finish but see they are now discontinued. Can you think of a similar performing rim, preferably in silver and preferably with that semi-deep profile? The profile is for aesthetics if I am honest, just prefer it to the look of Mavic's Open CD's etc. My wheels wouldn't need Royce hubs, just something reliable, reasonable in weight and silver to match the rims and spokes.

Any thought gratefully received!
  • ugo.santalucia
    In silver... Mavic CXP 22, but it's quite heavy. Velocity A 23 and Aerohead are V shaped and lighter, but mostly black.
    To be honest, if you want a classic look, black is better than anodised silver... silver looks vintage if it is polished, if anodised looks just like a grey rim. In the 1980s we did have black rims already